New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ya gotta love them Aussies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to take this opertunity to express my sincere gratitude to a great nation of tough sob's who when the chips are down always come through and never run from a fight...they have been our ally from the get go, and never shirked their duty and besides they love a good fight, just for the hell of it and you gotta respect that.

I've been know to take them on verbally a couple of times in the distant pass, but we somehow developed a respect for each other and that subsided and I became quite fond of them after that, me being a Texan and of the same cut probably had something to do with our making up and getting at each other in the first place..But for that I apoligise and it will never happen again and I will rush to the aid of any Aussie bastard that I see needing a helping hand from this day fourth.....

They ARE our best friends...WE owe them a debt of gratitude, that is something I do not take lightly and will not forget.

Posts: 41839 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Juneau>
posted
Here! Here! mate!

one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
Please dont forget the rest of our "TRUE" friends.

Urdubob

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Missed what they did...soembody give a recap.

I am assuming they said lets go have some fun in the sand and sun.

[ 03-18-2003, 03:37: Message edited by: Mike Dettorre ]

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I'll throw in with ya!

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Basically they stood up to be counted as usual. Ray is right on with this one.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<BorisBarker>
posted
Hey Mate, glad you guys appreciate our support, as far as I am concerned we still owe you from WWII. But you are right we spilt Aussie blood in Korean, Vietnam, Somalia, Afganistan etc with you guys. Sorry we havent got more to offer. Be sure the 500 odd Australian special forces, and 14 F/A18's will give a good account of themselves. Praying for a safe return for them all

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
So what's the ratio 500 Aussies equal what about 50,000 french

<Chris Long>
posted
Served w/ some Aussies back in the early 80's. Fond memories of Beer Day!

Chris

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Yep the last time I ran into a bunch of Aussies was in Subic Bay US Navy NCO club. They were kicking ass on a bunch of Marines. Being the peaceful Navy type we just sat on the sidelines
making sure that no beer got wasted. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug I was just rehashing a similar memory only it was out in Olongapo. (sp) Those were the days!
The smell of "shit river", San miguel beer and lbfm's. I must admit the best San Miguel I ever had was in Hong Kong. Now that I think about it I was drinking with a bunch of Aussies and Kiwis there too. [Smile] [Wink]
God my typing sucks!
Sorry I didnt mean to hijack the thread. It just brought back some great memories. The Aussies were absolutely the thoughest guys I every met except maybe the Roc's and they were just mean.
A great people!

[ 03-18-2003, 04:36: Message edited by: Mike Smith ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to get back and hunt Australia again this year, first class hunting and first class people! [Wink]

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple friends from Victoria Australia named Norm Nelson and Bruce Parnal that are two of as good a chaps as I have ever met. Good hunters and superb shpts. I look forward to us hunting many times in the future. They are true friends and Sportsmen.

Hawkeye47

one of us
posted Hide Post
They were with us in Vietnam and are superb soldiers, one of our few allies. I have always enjoyed Aussie wine more than french wine anyway...not to mention their beer. Much better than anything the germans make.Thanks mates! [Big Grin]

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd rather have 100 Aussie Nurses beside me than the whole of the French Army behind me!!! but if it came to that I'd tell the nurses to go kick the French Armies ass, it wouldn't be a fair fight, the nurses would have the upper hand, but the French would surrender before it started anyway...

Posts: 41839 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'm going out to Outback Steakhouse, drink some Fosters and diddle a kangaroo.... all to celebrate Aussie allies. Kick butt, Mates.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The French and the ARVNs had a few things in common. FOR SALE- Used rifles-Never been shot and only dropped once!

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Why thank you Ray! My thoughts at the moment go to the people from my base (75SQN) who are over there, and of course everybody else involved. I've drunk, fished, played sport with these people and I hope they remain safe! My next door neighbour has gone over leaving behind her son and husband, If all goes bad I reackon they could put her in a plane with a microphone and she'll talk the Iraq's to death [Eek!] [Big Grin] .

But thanks for the kind words.

Bakes

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bloody Right

A friend in need, is a friend indeed!

Good on ya, Mates

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I could not agree more! Thank you mates! It is times like this that you find out who your true friends and allies are........and who are NOT.

I saw a program on the history channel last week talking about what Saddam has done in the past to even HIS OWN PEOPLE. BRUTAL BASTARD! It also spoke about his chemical weapons program and how a small can of some of this stuff could virtually wipe out an entire city. Could you omagine what he would do if he ever fully developed nuclear weapons? The world will be a much better place for everyone with this threat removed. Especially if we do not have to wait for him to die of old age as France would have us do! Thank God we have a president with the balls to do something about it. And thank God for our true allies The Aussies and the English.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<lb404>
posted
Amen to everything except diddeling a 'roo.
lb404

one of us
posted Hide Post
Even though I can't stand the rest of his pollitics, I think Tony Blair has showed some backbone on this whole affair also. I never have liked that guy, but I'll give some credit where credit is due.

Elmo

What do guys think?

(This ought to good for 20 or 30 posts [Razz] )

A war without France,
Is like Dinner without Snails.

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Hell, even the French Foreign Legion is mostly
made up of ex-pats from anywhere but France.

Aussies never back down from a good scrap. You're a good lot guys, thank you.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hear, hear! Let me join the toast to our friends and allies, the Australians. If I had access to Vegamite I'd make a celebratory sandwich.

As for "amen to everything except diddeling a 'roo." I 'bout fell on the floor laughing at that one, as I did with Mr. Atkinson's comments regarding the nurses.

As for Blair, he is a brave man who gets my thanks for sticking his political neck out on our behalf.

[ 03-18-2003, 08:24: Message edited by: Wismon ]

Posts: 358 | Registered: 15 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
It's been my observation that Aussies and Yanks are very similar and have a lot in common. In particular our kin all left the UK and for good reason. [Big Grin]

They have showed their cards and are (once again) stand up people.

And the Brits, dispite our language barrier, can be counted on.

Hoo-Ahhh!

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Know one thing about the Aussies,don't try to match beer for beer [Big Grin] , and don't piss them off.I had the most pleasent time with a group of the SAS, in Vietnam in the 60's, very TUFF soliders and like others have said will not back down.Now all we need are a few of the NZ's to join.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
When I saw that Australia had sent troops to stand with us it did my heart good. To all of our Brit & Aussie allies a big, hearty, THANK YOU.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Guys
Thanks Ray and the rest of our US friends.

We are commiting over 2000 ADF personnel.

SAS,Army,Navy and Airforce.

I wish all our people well and a safe return.

That goes for the Yanks and Poms as well [Big Grin]

Regards
Deafdog

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Yes wishing them all a safe and speedy return after the business is done.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An acquaintance is a retired Army SF NCO ... he's trained with forces all over the world but has the greatest respect of all for the Aussie SAS. God knows they will get the job done. Thanks, friends down under!

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Many thanks to the Aussies.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Mike I was on the USS America. Where were you & when? I'll never forget the kids swimming in Shit river & pushing a bloated pig around in the water like a beach ball. Man did I support the local ecomomy in Olongapo when we were in port. [Big Grin] [Wink]

[ 03-18-2003, 20:18: Message edited by: D Humbarger ]

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mates, it means a lot to us!

Very well said Ray A.

God Bless our Troops,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
We had some Aussie's workin the QueSon & HeipDuc valleys with us in Nam- a lot better than a few of the drafties in my squad! As for the ARVNs- we wont go there (I always thought they were really VC)..did like the ROCs though (tough SOBs!!!)

In the 70s & 80s I was running dive trips to the BarrierReef out of Cairns and I found out where the rest of the true "Texans" in the world live.
All the Queenslanders I've meet thought they were the Texans of Australia [Smile] and they absolutely love Texans!

-

PS> my battalion, 3/21st"Gimlets" are on the border, in the sand as I write this. When they brought them out of retirement two years ago (only 3 companies now) 2/3 of the battalion are trained as sharpshooters. Go gettem boys- safe return...

one of us
posted Hide Post
My thanks to the Australians also!!

-Bob F.

-
 -
 -

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Feelin' like chopped liver here. [Frown]

But don't get me wrong, I applaud the Aussies too. Don't want to steal their any of their thunder -- they deserve it, particularly since they are participating in the war on Saddam in spite of the fact that 70% of the population doesn't support it. On that note, we gotta give Blair credit for having some balls too.

But don't count us Canucklehead's out (we were in Afganistan, and when push comes to shove I'd be real surprised if we don't pitch in on this one), and make sure not to stereotype us normal Canucks by our current leader (any more than you would want us to stereotype you guys by your previous one).

Give 'em hell!

Your friendly neighbor to the north,
Canuck

PS: And don't forget where you are getting all that cheap lumber, gas, electricity and water! [Wink]

[ 03-18-2003, 22:36: Message edited by: Canuck ]

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Mike I was on the USS America. Where were you & when? I'll never forget the kids swimming in Shit river & pushing a bloated pig around in the water like a beach ball. Man did I support the local ecomomy in Olongapo when we were in port. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Not sure which Mike you're asking, but I was flying out of Pleiku from Oct,69 'til May of '70. Then was transferred over to PhuCat, on the coast until October of '70. I operated the electronics gear on-board EC-47s. Goonies Forever!

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Whoa everyone! We need the French. That's right, who else will teach the Iraqis how to surrender! [Wink]

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The French are saying they might get involved after all, should certain contingencies arise. So that is what they mean? [Wink]

America is grateful to the Aussies. We are all the same, just different accents and different scenery.

USAA: United States of America and Australia. Not quite, but a nice thought.

Sodamned Hussein is gonna get what what he deserves.

G'day mates.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fond memories of shit river (how 'bout them kids diving for quarters?), 'po city, Subic, bottle dances, and cold San Miguels. [Big Grin]

Liked Hong Kong and Pattaya Beach, Thai MUCH better, though! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

USN PACFLT, '88-'94

Big thanks to Australia. Fair dinkum, mate.

While I think Tony Blair's gun and countryside policies SUCK ASS, I have to admire his balls for standing up for what's right.

[ 03-19-2003, 07:48: Message edited by: ksduckhunter ]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote