Tools

Zimbabwe: Lions wreak havoc
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://allafrica.com/stories/201308210863.html

Zimbabwe: Lions Wreak Havoc
21 August 2013

A pride of lions believed to have strayed from Northern Tuli National Park in Botswana has resurfaced in Beitbridge West where they are reportedly terrorising villagers and killing livestock. So far the predatory animals are reported to have attacked a man from Jalukange area who was tracking his stray donkeys near the Botswana border.

Sifelani Moyo, who resides under Chief Stauze, is said to have survived the attack after hitting the wild cat on the mouth with a stone.

The lions are reportedly killing donkeys around Jalukange and Bili areas and those underlying the Tuli Circle area.

Ward 8 councillor-elect Mr Luka Ndou confirmed the developments yesterday, adding that the villagers were now living in fear of being attacked by the lions.

He said the lions have become a perennial problem for villagers in the western part of the district and urged the responsible authorities to intervene and contain the problem.

Clr Ndou said they had since notified the local safari operator and the National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, but nothing has materialised.

"We are having a problem with stray lions from Northern Tuli National Park in Botswana and these are killing livestock, especially donkeys. We have an unfortunate incident where one man, Sifelani Moyo, was attacked by a lion while tracking some of his stray donkeys near the park," said Clr Ndou.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9374 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have gun, will travel!

Seriously, really sad for the livelyhood of those villages - been a tough year already with the weather.

[EDIT} - must see pictures of mouth, teeth, and nose of said lion(s) before booking tickets...

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going to be on sentinel ranch next week, that is very close!! Can only dream Whistling

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
One thing i rember Nixon telling me that seemed a bit odd at the time. "Lions prefer Donkey's over any other bait" Sounds like the Bot's lions agree.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote