New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dande area in Zim
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend of mine has recently gotten quota in the Chewore and the Dande area in Zim. I know nothing about either area and have not had a chance to talk with him about them.

Talked to a hunter that hunted the Dande area in July, really liked it saw large numbers of buffalo and elephant but was eaten alive by tsetse flies.

Any info would be appreciated!!

Mike

Posts: 1852 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Chewore. We could see a guy hunting in Dande across the river.

In 10 days in Chewore I saw at least 1000 buffalo, probably more. We saw plenty of elephant. The area had been hunted enough so it would be tough to find really giant buffalo or elephant, but the prices reflect that. There were also ample eland, sable, kudu, warthog, impala, bushpig, klipspringer, baboon and guinea fowl. Also lots of hyena but they are very smart.

The problem with Dande is that there are some locals living there. Chewore lacks locals.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both are good areas and I had a client shoot a 47" Buffalo in Chewore last year and it had the biggest bosses I have ever seen...Picture of him on my website I believe with an old grey haired man grinning from ear to ear...I had a client shoot a 53" Buff some years back in Chewore..

Dande can be just as good...Remember big buffalo are like gold, they are simply where you find them.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,
I just came back from hunting Dande North for the second time. Saw lots of buffalo, ele, sable. Saw a good number of waterbuck, kudu etc., etc.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Hunted right next to Dande about a month ago, Just across the border in Mozambique. Lots of Buff here, Lion Elephant too.

Tsetse flies were not as bad as the Selous, but they were there. Ultrathon took care of them pretty well.

Posts: 6254 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spent about 21 days or so there last year. About
5 days in late June and had to leave early when
wife became ill. Then 15-16 days in late Oct-early November. Hunting was wonderful, lots of
eles and buff. PH, Buzz Charlton, was just great
as were the operators, Swainson's Safaris. They
treated my wife and I very, very well.
I would go back in a heartbeat.

Wes

Posts: 1193 | Location: Shawnee, Okla US | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Chewore in '96 and found it to be charming and very wild. The game reflected the lack of pressure. We drove right up to 2 pairs of lions. We also parked the car within spitting distance of a dozen wild dogs. Leopards seem to be quite unsophisticated and buffalo and elephant are plentiful. There is no human habitation in Chewore.

A good friend of mine has hunted Dande twice and found much the same situation as Chewore but with more plains game. The local tribe only lives in one small area of Dande and the rest is very wild.

In the past I believe that these areas produced some big ivory but I hear now that there are a lot more elephant and it is harder to sort through the 30-40 pounders to find a good one.

Tetses are everywhere I have been. I guess they bother you a lot or not much. I get huge welts from their bites but it doesn't seem to hold me back. Just think if they weren't there you would have cattle,goats and people out the butt.

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally am the best Tetsi fly repelent a group could have...If I am in the group then no one else will get a bite. If I use 100% deet they will lick it off of me and then devour my bod..

I require an airline ticket and full game bag to attend your Safari...I furnish my own medication and like any good trooper save the last shot for myself.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote