New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pierre van Tonder Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If anyone living in or around Memphis, TN can help me in posting pictures here I would appreciate it! That out of the way let me give you a quick run down of my experience and the fantasic group of folks I had the pleasure of hunting with and sharing my experiences.... Pierre, Anneli and their crew.

I returned last Friday from a 10 day Cape Buffalo hunt which was my first trip to Africa. We hunted the Selous Reserve in Tanzania. Pierre, Anneli, and Ray Atkinson made sure that everything was taken care of.... from my arrival to departure!

It is difficult at this stage, without more reflection, to adequately put my experience into words. However, I can tell you all...I had the time of my life! I cannot imagine anything...in the hunting world...that compares to chasing Cape Buffalo with Pierre. Pierre and Anneli run a first rate camp! They both ensure that their guest/hunter are provided most anything one could desire on a hunting trip. The food was fantasic and there was nothing more I could of dreamed of asking for ....that was not provided before I even asked for it! I shall treasure the memories of experiencing Africa for the first time with my friends ...Pierre and Anneli

Pierre's crew is a fantasic group! Silva meet me at the Airport ...got my bags before I cleared customs and made sure I made all my connections. He also took me around Dar so I could experience the city. Pierre's group of trackers were amazing group of guys... who all took an keen interest in my success! I was amazed at how they could track and work their way through the Bush with Pierre leading the way. These guys must have an internal GPS system...just amazing!

Pierre is a true Professional! He relaxed with me after the day but when we were on the track you could see the intensity in his eyes, the care he takes with his Clients, and the love for his work. I trust this man with my life without any reservation!

I did take two Cape Buffalo, Zebra, and Heartebeast. But it is the Buffalo hunting which is unlike any experience I have ever had! Chasing the Buffalo through long grass where you can hear and smell them but not see them is some kind of rush!! We got on one group of Buffalo...must of been a group of 70+ animals. We were well hidden, however, a cow caught sight of me from about 30 yards away...She could not make me out but knew something was out of place...This cow looked into my eyes for what seemed to be an eternity...I stood without daring to move... one hand on my rifle the other on my knee...The cow just staring and staring at me..continuing to turn and try to get a better angle to see what I was...I was sweating bullets...as the cow headed up the trail towards me...seemingly looking right through me...I thought I was busted at this stage...but did not move an inch...Everyone in the group was tense...looking at me standing like a statue...as the cow moved closer....I started to sweat even more...and thought.. the cow must surely see the beads of sweat pouring from my body! I then saw a calf behing the cow...oh great...what a place to be in...but I was confident I was in no trouble as Pierre was right by my side!! and I was ready with my 458 Lott! The cow and calf could not of been more than 20 yards from me now...luckly the wind was in our favor and did not change direction and my trimbling and sweating was not noticed by the cow..luckly the calf finally distracted its mother and they headed off...It seemed like I was standing like a statue for an hour but in reality it was only about 10 minutes but I can assure you it was the longest 10 minutes of my life!

We moved on this group of Buffalo with Elephant nearby...the Elephant must of caught sight or smelled us as they pushed through the Bush not 50 yards from us...The Buffalo did not notice us as we got into position...it was kind of a cat and mouse game as Pierre and the trackers moved us in for a closer look at several Bulls. I got my chance (knees knocking) at my first Buffalo...about 80 yards away. The shot rang out...while I recovered from the recoil of my 458 Lott..I heard Pierre say ...HE IS DOWN..this was music to my ears..I felt a couple of big pats to my back!! The shot broke both shoulders, destroyed the lungs, tore out the top of the heart, and exited! As we approached Pierre and I side by side...The Buffalo somehow regained its footing and stood up...I quickly put a shot on the front shoulder with the Bull facing me from about 25 yards...with my heart racing...The Bullet slammed home on the shoulder...going through the entire length of the Buffalo...breaking the back leg (you can see the back leg breaking on the Video Anneli took) the bullet came to rest in the ankle...This was the only bullet I recoved from the animals I took...it was a perfect "X" upon mushrooming and weighed 499 grains upon recovery..this after going through a shoulder, the length on the Buffalo and breaking the back leg finally comming to rest in the ankle!! I will take that performance any day!!

I loaded Barnes Triple Shock 500 grain bullets in my 458 Lott to a nomial 2250 fps on shoulder shots this load completely exits doing significant destruction on Buffalo! The 458 Lott with this load is a KILLER! If it cannot be killed with the Lott..I do not plan on hunting it... Both Buffalo, Zebra, and Heartebeast fell to the first shot. The one Buffalo never got up the other I described above. The Zebra was shot with my 375 H&H using 270 grain Barnes TSX, at nomial 2720 fps. The Zebra was 200+ yards, at a bad angle, Pierre said take him behing the ribbs which I did off the sticks (which anyone going to Africa should learn to shoot off sticks before going...I learned while in Africa) I felt the shot was a little to far back as the Zebra ran off...but it fell after running 100 yards..got up again and ran 50 yards before finally falling. The shot did take the Zebra a little further back then I would have liked...It went behind the ribbs and into the lungs and out the neck...great penetration!!! The Heartebeast just died on the spot from a shoulder shot at 120 yards.

I wish I was truely capable of putting into words the excitement and joy I experienced in Africa! It was just plain GREAT! JudgeG told me I would be ruint going Buffalo Hunting with Pierre! Well I guess that is the case... as the wheels are turning in my head...about getting back to Africa and chasing Buffalo with Pierre in 2005 or 2006! I think 2005!!! Pierre proclaimed I am now a Buffalo Hunter...That from Pierre ...a man who knows his stuff...means a lot to me!!

Although, I have only been to Africa once I have been in many a hunting camp and experienced well run operations. Pierre van Tonder is at the top of the heap as far as I am concerned. I will hunt Cape Buffalo with Pierre again...for the life of me I cannot think of anything more exciting in the hunting world...and Pierre is a first class guy...I am proud to call Pierre and Anneli my friends!

I have to thank all of you here on this site who helped me with equipment, knowledge, and just sharing your experiences. I want to acknowledge a couple of folks here.

First, JudgeG who is so willing to share his experience, knowledge, and love of Africa...thank you my friend! I am truely ruint and greatfull! Ray Atkinson, who made sure I was all was taken care of and made sure I had what I needed...and for making everything go so well! Roger Ferrel who worked on my CZ 458 Lott and made it a smooth functioning rifle I would take anywhere and hunt anything on this earth with... and to all others who helped me like GeorgeS who took the time to talk with me over the phone and provide his experience and insight!

Thank you all!!!!!

Best regards,

Jim

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Wowwww!! what a story!!!!
Thanks for sharing such a great adventure.
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. We look forward to the pictures.

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
N.E. .450 No2:

You being an officer of the law, how would you react if I happened to pass you on my Harley, so attired? I've been known to take a putt down to the store in my p.j.'s.

JJS:

I just image the comments of the laundry boy cleaning your shorts after that buff got back up at 20 yards. I hope you tipped him well.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jim,

That damn Africa bug is contagious...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Jim:

Three words:

I WARNED YOU! < !--color-->

I'm looking forward to your meeting us in Dallas in January and getting a personal play by play.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jjs
Sounds like you had a great hunt.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG
Please do us one favor in Dallas.... Do not put on those "jammies" till we have drank all your Scotch and left the room.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote