New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solids and Softs Advice Please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be going on a 21 day hunt in Tanzania beginning in early September. I will be taking my CZ 375 and my CZ 458 Lott. The Lott was a recent gift from JudgeG, and this will be my first hunt with it. I have taken two buffalo with my 375 using 300gr Swift A-Frames and the bullets performed perfectly. Since I will be able to take an elephant on this trip, I was wondering if solids in the 458 Lott do a good job on a buffalo?? If so, then I only have to carry one type of round for it etc etc etc. Anyone "been there done that" that can give me some advice??

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My preference is to carry only solids in a big bore. They work fine on plains game too. I think you will find both the solids and softs from www.northforkbullets.com to be very accurate, to hold together well, and to do a great job on game.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The flat nosed copper solids are
great and they punch nice hole for bleeding...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a copper flat nosed solid out of a Lott o makes a very good "general Purpose round". however... ask your PH!!! If groups of Dagga boys are the norm rather than the exception he may well prefer you to open the batting with a soft.

In Zim where I hunt, the risk of a shoot through on a genuine hard bossed bull is about 0, some of the other places it is a real concern.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a firm believer in the Woodleigh 550 grain solids and softs out of a Lott. Solids for elephants and a soft for first shot on buff. Amazing penetration from both.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
a copper flat nosed solid out of a Lott o makes a very good "general Purpose round". however... ask your PH!!! If groups of Dagga boys are the norm rather than the exception he may well prefer you to open the batting with a soft.

Very sound advise from Ganyana

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
What Ganyana said. My camp in Moz. had several PHs & sit around talking you'll find they all have diff. ideas. One liked softs up top w/ solids following, one like all softs.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
There is no reason to use solids on buffalo. Solids might very well wind up wounding other buffalo. Happens all time.

PH's that recommend solids like to shoot your wounded buff. Smiler

"I use solids because I have always used solids."

That's why God made A-Frames, though some still persist in going to hell. Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Half the fun of the whole operation is having a soft and a solid load for each rifle of .375 caliber or larger. Don't leave home without them. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
As others have said, in shooting bulls out of herds, there's too much chance of shoot throughs with solids in .458 Lott. I have seen .458 caliber 500 grain solids whistle all the way through buff enough times to know it is a real risk.

And in Tanzania, herd shooting is common, so I wouldn't rely only on solids.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Just Curious but would the Softs penetrate as well as the solids on a Buff if you accidentally hit shoulder?

I've never hunted them but most people I have talked to have used Solids, as others have stated.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buglemintoday,

A soft won't penetrate like a solid, all other things the same.

All,

Like 500 Grains, I like all solids, though I would carry a couple a soft in each pocket in case I had time to switch. The .458" solids will kill very quickly with a good shot. You will need to be careful of pass throughs, even end to end, if you use North Fork flat nose solids. Might want to try North Fork cup points for the buff.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Iguide water buffalo and i killed some of them i recommend a soft first because you can have some problems if you injure another buffalo for overpenetration ,the ph must use only solids,congratulations for the czs i have several of them and they never failed ,my cz 308 have thousands of shots after being rented year after year and it shoots like new.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Just Curious but would the Softs penetrate as well as the solids on a Buff if you accidentally hit shoulder?

I can answer that question: NO.

I hit a buff right on the point of the shoulder with a NF soft. The bullet absolutely trashed the shoulder but never penetrated the chest cavity. It was a quartering shot so the trajectory was towards the heart but a bit high. Shattered bone everywhere in the shoulder - even pumping out of the wound as he ran. We searched long and hard and never found the bullet in the carcase. We finally gave up, assuming that the bullet had been pumped out of the entry hole also.

I think I finally figured out where that bullet went (and believe me - it has kept me awake nights.) It MUST have been funneled down the center of the major leg bone (humerus) (the one that was entirely missing the knob at the top.)

The NF soft has a monolithic rear half, so you know it did not blow up. This is the only time I have heard of a NF soft failing to get through to the opposite hide on a buff.

Strangely enough Saeed had exactly the same thing happen to one of his WalterHog monolithics on exactly the same shot just before I got there. He could not find his bullet, either.

At that quartering angle the bullet would only have to be deflected downwards 40 degrees or so to get trapped inside the marrow section of the humerus.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about a soft in the right barrel and a solid in the left Big Grin - AHHHHHHHHH the love of a good double dancing

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
butchloc,

I just love your reply! Wink
dancing
In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote