Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robert Ruark's trophies
 Login/Join

posted
Regarding Ruark's trophies collected in Africa, I was surprised it had never occured to me before where they are located - if they were still "around"
It wasn't until yesterday that I saw some of his trophies, including cape buffalo and others - some of which are the ones he is seen in photographs with. They are not on public display sadly, and they'll likely be sold off soon too - too bad really.

Always liked Something of Value - great book.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What makes you think they are about to be sold?

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Well, for what it's worth the new book by Alan Ritchie "Ruark Remembered", says that several of the trophies were taken after Ruark's death from the house in Spain. Salvador Dali took a rhino (apparently he had an arrangement with Ruark), and the woman Ruark left the house to in his will took several. It also said many of Ruark's possessions "disappeared" (including trophies) over the months after his death.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I saw them all pretty dusty - though not a rhino - seems the "woman" who go the house got some trophies too.

they will be sold off - if they haven't been already selling them off , but his elephant tusks, bronze bust and his photos will go to auction later