New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buff in Masailand?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a "best" month for hunting in Masailand?

Samaras's area in particular.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McCray,

Our areas are closer to Tarangire park but abutt Luke's area. Our hunting is very good throughout the season for cats and the unique EA species. Herd animals like buffalo, wildebeest and zebra may be more visible during early and late season. If I personally could pick one month it would be December following the first short rains.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
I am no expert but my research told me that July is the best bet. We went there (Samaras area) in July and found it to be a paradise for hunting.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am no expert but my research told me that July is the best bet. We went there (Samaras area) in July and found it to be a paradise for hunting.

Can only confirm this !!!

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
December can be the best, but, it isn't always the best. Anyone who has taken a few Buffalo and now wants a huge Buffalo, a December hunt is a good gamble.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well my research was tending toward early or late (July or December), so I guess this confirms that.

What is the reasoning for one over the other?

one of us
posted Hide Post
McCray

I picked December because if the short rains have started there will be game all over. In '08 Nov/Dec our areas were filled with game.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who hunted Luke's camp in December. He, his dad and brother all killed huge buffalo.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
In 05, sadly, the rains came late and we didn't see too many buffalo. As was said, I had shot others and was gambling on a big one...and would do it again. With a 21-day license and other EA game available, it was still an excellent hunt.

Here's a link to the hunt report:

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../6321043/m/895109993

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best time for the Luke Samaras Masailand area for Buffalo is July & August due to better availability of water. It gradually drys up after that and the Buffalo begin moving to the Tarangire National Park where there's more water. Beginning September, the Selous is likely the ideal option.

My son & I were there for the second half of last October. I must say however, that we found buff plentiful and of great quality. The rest of the game in this particular area at that time was likewise plentiful IMO, except wildebeest, which had all left for the Tarangire.

We were extremely pleased with our hunt here and highly recommend Luke Samaras in Masailand. Our PH's were awesome and the Masai trackers and camp staff made our safari way beyond expectation.
Go when you can - I suspect it'll be fine.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be there July 22nd. Looking forward to it.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. For various reasons November or December won't work for us, so how does July rank? Sounds like some have had great luck then.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Season opener on July 1. We're taking the second 21 day block, but should do okay.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had a wonderful hunt in Samaras' Masailand concession during the last ten days of July, 2007. The wildebeest were already pretty scarce at that time but everything else was abundant.

We are heading back to the same area for opening day this year, just ahead of jetdrvr. I would have been just as happy with December but it's considerably easier for me to get away during the summertime.

Richard

Posts: 41 | Location: Memphis, Tennessee | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote