Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Binoculars for Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
If you have relatively new Pentaxs, the lower cost binos you mentioned have NOTHING to offer over yours. Now if you're talking big bucks, Leicas are the way to go. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Save your money. Unless you are going to upgrade to Swarovski, Zeiss, or Leica, there isn't going to be much difference between the cheapies.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey folks,

I am going to Tanzania next summer and at this point am planning to take binoculars. I currently own Pentax 8x42
binoculars and am thinking about possibly upgrading. Any suggestions? I know I will get lots of responses for Swarovski and Zeiss, but I want to be able to afford that second buffalo bull if you know what I mean. Affordable binoculars are of particular interest... Steiner, Leupolds, Khales. Feedback please. Thanks

Posts: 54 | Location: GA | Registered: 15 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I go with Leupold for all my binos and scopes and have always been impressed and 100% satisfied with them. They're gas-filled (no internal fogging) and very clear so never had any trouble with headaches from long hours of glassing hillsides, etc. They're not cheap, but not outrageously expensive either.

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Save your money for trophy fees and stick with what you have. The more I hunt Africa, the less I use my binoculars. I've switched to a compact pair of binoculars (of course this is after I bought a full size pair of Swarovski's for my second safari).

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look for a set of 8x35 Leicas for an all around binocular, you should be able to pick up a pair for $600.00, they are light and easy to carry and will do it all...Otherwise keep what you have...

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After the 1st day I bet 95% of "big" binoculars stay in the truck......I like my 8x32 Swarovski's as they are light and handy to carry and provide all you need while tracking. I keep a larger pair in the truck and/or let the Game Scout or one of the trackers use them if they want to.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Hugh:

For mt safari this year I bought the new Leupold Windriver Binos the RB800 8X32mm with built in rangefinder. I had two other pair of rangefinders from Bushnell but it always was a pain in the ass to switch from rangefinder then to binos.

I really, really like these binos. You set each eye piece for each eye, say past 100 yards and don't have to touch the adjustments again. They are fast clear and while you are checking out your game animal the yardage is a finger push away.

I used it MUCH more than I thought I ever would have. My last game animal a 50 " Kudu was shot at just shy of 250 yards. I could of sworn he was at least 350 yards away befor I ranged him. The different landscape makes yardage look different sometimes. They are not real cheap around $700.00 but they are still cheaper than Swarvos...

Another Glass that I really like are Nikons, very sharp and bright picture, and still a better price then heavy hitters.

Just my two cents...

Regards.... Jim P.

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I hear so many people say either not to bring the binoculars or to leave them in the truck. I've only been on three safaris but I can't imagine not having my Leica 10x42's around my neck unless I knew I'd been in REALLY thick stuff ALL day.
It seems I have them up to my face all the time. Maybe it's because I guide for a living and feel naked without them.
My PH this last time mentioned he was sometimes frustrated with clients that don't carry their binoculars because it takes too much explaining (and time) in some situations to get on the "same page" to take a shot. I agree, I was looking over his shoulder whenever we got close so I knew exactly what he was talking about when/if he turned to tell me to take a shot.
When an animal is getting ready to leave I don't want him having to say, "Okay, now do you see the tree with that's umbrella shaped.....?". Meanwhile it's too late! I've been in that spot too many times with clients.
I don't necessarily carry them in hopes of seeing game first. No matter how hard I try it seems that the trackers spot 80% of the game.

As to brands: I typically use Leupolds for guiding because I've wrecked too much equipment using it on a daily basis. I hate to trash my Leica's but when it comes down to it the big three (Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica) do have much better products than the others. Whether they're worth the extra money depends on your financial situation, amount of usage and type of usage.

My one-and-a-half cents,
Kyler

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ray,
I have a pair of Khales 8x42's which I love. How much different, and in what way, are the Swarovski's Leica etc??
The Khales are 1/2 the price.....how much better are they for that extra money?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote