Find
Notify
Tools

"Non-Typical" Kudu
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I thought this was a very interesting photo....it is a collection of "non-typical" Kudu trophies.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
"Outercircle" Award Winners

Those are cool!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Those are true trophies.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it!
I always enjoy a hunt or animal that has some kind of "story" with it & those kudu should have created enough stories to tell over sundowners for several evenings.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Very interesting and good taxidermy.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Cool stuff.

That one looks just like a Mouflon.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I saw a couple of non typical kudu mounts in South Africa a few years back in Kwa Zulu Natal at a landowner's home, and took a pic, but the pic turned out blurry for some odd reason. Yes, those are indeed cool and very interesting.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Question is trophy or non trophy?

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome animals.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed!!!

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
very cool

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are at Blaaukrantz, check out the various barns, including the shearing shed. Arthur has some more of these neat non-typicals in the rafters.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Are non-typical antelope, like the kudu in this case, that common?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Those are fantastic. I like them even more than the traditional kudu.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the second from the left on the bottom row is a half-breed audad.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the second from the left on the bottom row is a half-breed audad.

Haha....exactly what I thought as well.

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Namibian PH said that many Western European hunters actively seek "non-typical" antlered game. Does this mean that ranches that charge by the inch will add a premium for malformed horns?!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Wade these are pretty cool!!!

Is this pic from a Texas exotic game farm?

On the internet I saw one of these places charging $12,000 - $15,000 for a Greater Kudu trophy fee alone, not including meals/accommodations.

Just curious but what's been your experience there in regards to TF's?

Thanks tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
let me venture a guess- they came from a Texas game ranch...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Deon
posted Hide Post
I hunted a similar looking one to the bottom left one 2 years ago in South Africa on a Cattle Farm - No High Fences.. Apparently it had been the trophy (although only 45") that most repeat hunters had come to hunt specifically.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact."

Posts: 131 | Location: Umshwati, South Africa | Registered: 20 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
I've seen quite a number of such atypical kudu horns in my career. But a first see is the kudu on the extreme right also has "almost" no white chevron! Never seen that before! Any comment from others about the absence of a chevron?

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:

On the internet I saw one of these places charging $12,000 - $15,000 for a Greater Kudu trophy fee alone, not including meals/accommodations.

Thanks tu2

LB,

No....these are not from a Texas ranch, at least not that I know of. I just stumbled across the photo on the internet. I assume they are from somewhere in southern Africa. (Besides, brick interior walls aren't exactly common in the U.S. haha)

You are pretty much correct in your observations of Kudu trophy fees here in Texas. You can find Kudu bulls anywhere from $8,000 to $15,000....depending on the property. The main reason for the high prices of Kudu in Texas is because of the relatively low populations we have, due to their low tolerance of cold weather. Even though we don't have extremely cold winters, it seems to still be too cold for Kudu to thrive. Most properties with decent Kudu populations in Texas are in the southern part of the state. Many of the places north of Interstate 10 experience large losses during cold snaps (as much as 20% - 30% of their herd at one time).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:

Thanks tu2

LB,

No....these are not from a Texas ranch, at least not that I know of. I just stumbled across the photo on the internet. I assume they are from somewhere in southern Africa. (Besides, brick interior walls aren't exactly common in the U.S. haha)

You are pretty much correct in your observations of Kudu trophy fees here in Texas. You can find Kudu bulls anywhere from $8,000 to $15,000....depending on the property. The main reason for the high prices of Kudu in Texas is because of the relatively low populations we have, due to their low tolerance of cold weather. Even though we don't have extremely cold winters, it seems to still be too cold for Kudu to thrive. Most properties with decent Kudu populations in Texas are in the southern part of the state. Many of the places north of Interstate 10 experience large losses during cold snaps (as much as 20% - 30% of their herd at one time).

Thanks Wade I appreciate the reply Wink

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
To each his own. I believe some European hunters like the non-typical horns.

They look crappy to me.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pieter Kriel:
To each his own. I believe some European hunters like the non-typical horns.

They look crappy to me.

I agree....and would only shoot one if the trophy fee had been discounted, due to the horn deformation. The only one in the photo above that I actually like is the bull on the bottom, second from the left....whose horns resemble an Aoudad ram.