THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Missing threads on the African forum?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Missing threads on the African forum?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

We have deleted all threads that are not relevant to African hunting.

And the same things was done to other forums as well.

We do this every now and then so that we can keep relevant subjects to each forum for as long as we can.

Saeed-

Could they not be moved to Miscellanous instead of deleting them? Some threads have good info that others would like to see.

Sometimes threads are unintentionally put in the wrong forum, other times it's because the poster knows which forums get hit & which are dead...

Or how about if it is done more consistently/timely, so that some aren't allowed to run forever, but others get nipped quickly?

A consistent process would be preferable to "every now and then..."

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Quote:

George and Don-

I understand your points, but I still don't see why they are "deleted".

If a good post is in the wrong forum, it gets axed, but a BS post in the "proper" forum stays?

Why not move it to it's appropriate forum, let it run it's course, and let it die out on it's own? Maybe move the stuff that is in the "wrong spot" to Misc, and put a shorter "shelf life" on that forum, so that stuff doesn't sit there as long? (I don't know if that's possible due to programming issues, I'm just kinda thinking out loud...). Say anything in Misc that's older than two weeks, or 30 days, or six months, or whatever the load can handle, without a new response, "dies off"?

I just think arbitrarily killing/deleting threads cause they are in the "wrong forum" is wrong. We all know that some "misplaced" threads are left to run forever, while it appears others are weeded out.

CB,

To add some clarity, the pruning is not being done as you have described it, at least not by most of the moderators.

For the most part, we are not pruning anything current. The pruning I have done has started with threads at least three months old.

The threads are also pruned according to a rough priority. First to go are threads like "Hey so and so, you have a PM", etc. Next are off topic threads that have little or no relevance and are not likely to be re-visited by anyone. If they are off topic but contain information that seems useful, I leave them where they are, or move them to a more appropriate forum.

Pruning is absolutely necessary to keep this software functioning in the way we all have come to expect it. I think we are all trying to do it in a way that causes the least impact to the quantity and quality of archival information and to our members as a result.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
What my friends George and Don said is absolutely correct. And we have to take that into consideration.

We have been upgrading these Forums to keep up with their growth.

We used to have them on a shared server. That did not keep up, so we moved them to a dedicated server with one CPU. After a while that kept getting slower and slower. So we added another CPU and more RAM. Which is where we are right now.

If someone finds a thread of such importance, it is adviceable to copy it to his own computer. That way he can refer to it any time he wishes, even years from now.

We are not doing this out of choice, but out of necessity. It is either that, or we have to either put up with a massive slowdown of the system or do a majot upgrade where more than one server is used.

We might have to do an upgrade in the future, but if we can avoid it right now, we would rather do that.

We have been asked by several concerns who are interested in advertising on AR. But, we would rather keep it the way it is, where the ultimate choice of how to run it rests with no one but us.

Posts: 68742 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George and Don-

I understand your points, but I still don't see why they are "deleted".

If a good post is in the wrong forum, it gets axed, but a BS post in the "proper" forum stays?

Why not move it to it's appropriate forum, let it run it's course, and let it die out on it's own? Maybe move the stuff that is in the "wrong spot" to Misc, and put a shorter "shelf life" on that forum, so that stuff doesn't sit there as long? (I don't know if that's possible due to programming issues, I'm just kinda thinking out loud...). Say anything in Misc that's older than two weeks, or 30 days, or six months, or whatever the load can handle, without a new response, "dies off"?

I just think arbitrarily killing/deleting threads cause they are in the "wrong forum" is wrong. We all know that some "misplaced" threads are left to run forever, while it appears others are weeded out.

posted Hide Post
Moving them to another forum doesn't alleviate the storage issue.

We can either save germane threads longer, or every thread for a shorter period.

In the future, if you see a thread with information you consider valuable, print it (to paper or to a file on your own computer).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
Here are the post statistics.

Post statistics. This only counts posts in the system. It does not give stats on deleted posts.
Posted in the last 24 hours 1160
Posted in the last week 7551
Posted in the last month 31670
Total # of topics 65788
Total # of replies 553045

With judicious pruning we still have over 550,000 posts in the database with 31,000 per month being added. That means the software needs to constantly index this and when a global search is done search through all 550K records.

We just can't keep adding to this without some management.

Imagine if in the past 6 years we have never deleted a post? The database would be approaching 2.4 million posts and so slow that you guys would be screaming for our heads.

Don

Posts: 26547 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed/Don,

You will continue to "need" to do this to keep the database size within manageable limitations.
Don, the build times for the PhP files seems to have sped up. Did you do additional work than those optimizations we discussed?

Posts: 190 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck-

Thanks for a little more in-depth info.

I don't have a problem with the "You have a PM" notes being pulled after a reasonable time like you say.

I also understand the need for looking at "total space" available.

Your explanation at least takes away some of the randomness that it seemed was applied earlier.

BTW, I hope nobody thinks I was putting you guys down, that's why I tried to offer some sort of solution or option.

So, since this thread actually really has nothing to do with Africa, will it be gone in the morning?

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
Hi Carmelo.

After we did the analyze and optimization of the tables as Simeon suggested, and after we pruned about 100,000 posts (and also blocked some IPs of some questionable DOS attacks) we seem to be back in business.

We never needed to worry about changing the .cnf routines and freeing up the DBD cache.

So far so good. Thanks again.

Don

Posts: 26547 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
First of all, I am quite pleased to be able to use this forum, for free, as it is run. Thank you.

One observation I would like to make, though, is that it might be more feasible to create two seperate databases, a current one, and an "archive". Keep everything up to, say, four weeks in the current forum. Move everything else into an archive. If someone is looking for an old post, they can go to the archive. Obviously, some categories need not be stored long term (classifieds, etc).

This would eliminate the pressure to "keep" old threads in this format, and might reduce the "labor" involved as well.

Don't know if it is feasible (that's what we got Don for, right ) FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Friends,

While some personal details may be lost in the deleted threads, I am looking forward to buying the AR Book as it would have the wealth of knowledge that these forums have accumulated. With the rate at which newer information is being added, we may have to start pestering the Administrators and the Moderators for a second volume very soon after the first one is released and sold out.

Best wishes and good hunting!

Hi Mehul:

You raise an interesting idea. Taking the top 100 threads on hunting or reloading and publishing them on demand. The people who run the AR store have a publishing on demand service where it can be printed after the order is submitted. We could constantly be updating it.

The only question I have is how do we determine those 100 threads?

Any ideas?

Don

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Why not just ge rid of the BS forum, oops I mean the Politics forum. You will halve the amount of posts each day and the number of threads and nothing of value whatsoever will be lost.

(PS Sorry just joking )

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
If we got rid of the BS forum the shit would migrate here. Anyway, all Political Forum posts are deleted after around 60 days so they are not the problem.

Don

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Ah very clever. Divert their attention with mindless drivel.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I am sure that I want the AR Book because it is certain to have the information and advice that some of today's foremost African hunters have to give us. Even if the threads are not reproduced, the source of the information would be the same - the minds of some of the most experienced hunters n the world! Now, wouldn't the printers hurry up a little!

Good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DRG,

Could it be the threads with the most clicks? Just a suggestion as someone else may have a much better view than this.

Good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
That's what I'm thinking. Another guage is the ones with the MOST replies.

Don

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Oh goody, number of replies and views, the threads will be:

Sierra Matchkings;
the .45/70 and why it is ideal for cape buffalo;
the .45/70 and why it is not suitable for anything;
the .45/70 and why hard cast flat nosed projectiles at slow speeds are God's Gift to the world of dangerous game;
and lastly,
Who hates Carmello.

Should make for stimulating reading.

There are some great threads, why not have a vote or survey of the greatest.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I don't it is feasible for us to do this, so what I suggest is you save any thread that you find of importance to your own computer.

That is the easiest way to keep each one of you happy, as regardless of what we do in this regard, at least some of you are going to complain about it.

Reality of life when you have so many opinions.

Posts: 68742 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Marterius, for posting this. I thought I was losing my mind. I am, of course, but at least now I know why I couldn't find the thread.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
As I started this thread, I just want to say that I appreciate all the efforts made to keep this forum running, and without advertisements. Thankfully, there are more important things in life than some lost threads.

Russ, don't worry, you are as sane as a... eh... hmmm... Never mind.

Russ, on a more serious note, there was some very classy responses on the thread you were looking for. I remember it, and it told me that there is a damn fine bunch of people here.

Regards,
Martin

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
That's why I'd saved it, but I understand the reasons for trimming the site from time to time. It's important to see the big picture. That's what I try to remind myself all the time.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote