Notify
Tools

Kilombero Lion 1961
 Login/Join

posted

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
"He was of the rare black-maned variety, and the hair of his mane was so long it parted in the middle and almost swept the ground."

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
He didn't use his .270 on that game????

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Nope, he wanted to make sure that it died.
troll

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Actually, my uncle killed his first of two lions with one shot from his 270 and old-fashioned winchester Silvertips in Mozambique back in the late 60s and I never gave it much thought. Until I became "Africa smat" that is Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,

Great story, guess ole' Jack didn't like the hard kicking rifles, but he killed a nice lion for that area, Kilombero. I got mine, which looks similiar, a little north of there--brings back memories.

That lion on the cover is a dream lion, the like of which I have never seen in the wild. Wonder how many were running around in 1959?

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I read that story in from one of the major hunting magazines along time ago...Makes me smile and shows my age... thumb

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Nick. Great story. JO'C was the best.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Thanks, Nick. Great story. JO'C was the best.

I think this was Jack's best African piece.

Every sentence tells you something of Africa, hunting or the character of those involved.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does that lion look small to you guys? He looks like he wouldn't even way 200# to me.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Nick. I read a re-print of this story long ago and had forgotten much of it, or at least relegated it to my subconcious. This is one of the readings that first prompted my desire to go to Africa. JOC and his protege Jim Carmichel have had a lot of influence on my dreams.

This is the quote I found most interesting (but not unusual):

It seems everyone who goes to Africa laments the changes that are occuring - no matter when they go. It's hard to believe that the good old days were already past in 1959.

Thanks again for the great read.
FBB

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Thank you Nick.

That was great - really great reading.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Forest - Right you are. Pick up a book from 1920's and there will be those lamenting the 1910's ... not that they'd be wrong in feeling so, however.

Hi Allen - Thanks for posting. It's good to hear that you enjoyed the article. How's my hero hunter doing? What's next on the agenda?

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Thanks nickudu your articles are always intersting .although i use a 308 several times to kill buffalos im always in the side of Elmer Keith ,and my prefernce is to use the bigger gun you can .JUAN

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote