THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Zambia: Baboon shooting goes bad, man killed

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zambia: Baboon shooting goes bad, man killed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Worker Killer Farmer Nabbed
12 March 2010

POLICE in Livingstone have arrested a former Zambia Revenue Authority (ZRA) employee for shooting dead a worker at his farm when he was trying to chase baboons from his maize field.

Southern Province police chief Lemmy Kajoba confirmed the incident in an interview in Livingstone yesterday.

He said the incident happened on Wednesday between 13:00 hours and 14:00 hours, when Raymond Simanga of farm number 2659 near Maramba River, went to his field on his usual routine to chase baboons that had been raiding his fields.

As he reached the field, he heard some noise in one direction where he shot two bullets with the aim of scaring away the baboons.

After that, he heard someone shouting and when he went to check, he found one of his workers who was only identified as Greenwell moaning in pain.

Mr Kajoba said the two bullets both hit Greenwell of Maramba Township.

He said the first bullet hit him on the right arm while the second one hit him on the pelvis which led to excessive bleeding.

Mr Kajoba said someone who heard the shots notified the police using a 991 toll free line and when the anti-robbery squad was sent to the farm, they found the victim bleeding excessively.

Greenwell was rushed to the hospital where he later died and the body is now lying in Batoka Hospital Mortuary awaiting postmortem.

Mr Simanga was later arrested and is currently detained at Linda Police Station to help with investigations

In Kapiri Mposhi, police have launched a manhunt to track down a 42-year-old man who fled after having sex with his 19-year old daughter.

Central Province police chief Simon Mpande said in Kabwe yesterday that Gilbert Malambo of Mubana Village in Chief Chipepo's area had carnal knowledge of his biological daughter on March 7 this year and ran away after people discovered what he had done to his daughter.

He said a Mr Kuswa Muteniwa, 49, of the same village reported Malambo to the police and when he heard about it, he bolted.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
This story i very similar to the incident that happened in Namibia about 7 or 8 years ago.

IIRC a farmer was out looking to shoot baboons and killed a hunting client(who was hunting alone). He then committed suicide on the spot.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'ts not the first time this has happened.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading an article in a newspaper once when I was in Africa about one of the locals who had shot another guy that was sitting in a tree. His excuse for the shooting was that he thought he was shooting at a baboon! I don't believe he was charged, and I don't recall if the guy was killed.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Wow that terrible accident that could have been avoided. Never shoot at a place simply because he heard a noise, we have to make sure what we shoot on a piece of game, on a beast, to avoid injuring or killing a person. Rest in Peace worker died on the farm and the fact that the guilty pay for their negligence.

Sincerely,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ovny,things are pretty much the same all over the world, there are accidents that could have been avoided every year, right here in the US.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a baboon quite close up in my only trip to Africa some years ago. ('93,Chirisa) In fact, I found myself bouncing along in the Toyota LandCruiser when, suddenly, the PH pulled up and pointed out a troop about maybe 125 feet away. A big baboon came out and came maybe 50 feet away -and I found myself engaged in a staring contest with him. He got truly enraged and approached even closer. He was shivering with rage -and, I, stupidly, had gotten down to his level. (I wanted to shoot him out of rage, myself) The PH, being a civilized man, told me - Either shoot him or stop it!. That brought me back to being "civilized" -because until then I wanted to kill that baboon. I always remembered that incident and how an animal could get me as mad as he was. (I'm still ashamed) Baboons remind us of where we came from.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote