New
Find
Notify
Tools

10.75x68 in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just returned from my first trip to Africa. I thought I would post a picture of the Waterbuck I took with my Francotti 10.75x68.

It was shot at about 60 yards. The recovered bullet retained 293 grains. This is a Woodleigh 347 grain SP.

As time permits I would like to post a full report.

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Magnificent animal and a great caliber thumb

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
It's a match to the .404 right?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
It's a match to the .404 right?

Brett

Similar, 404 is a 10.75x73 I believe.

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.404 is quite alot fatter case. 10,75 is same case head as 9,3x64 (or .376 Steyr). Almost all the original Model A Mausers in 10,75 that I have seen have been reamed out to.404 and had the magazine box changed. There is, nominally a couple of thou difference in Bore size, but I have never noticed a problem with the conversions.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Nice Waterbuck!!! Hes a Beauty!!!

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate to meet with Thunder Stick on his last night in Africa at Afton House. He allowed me to enjoy the feel of the Francotti, inspect the recovered Woodleigh and hear the tales of a 1st African hunt not quite yet alltogether over.

I was itching to report some of this here earlier, but it is his parade and we look forward to the promised "full report".
I believe their trip was a huge success mostly because it is clear they are a couple of hunters with the perfect attitude and expectations, and aprreciated everything from our local beer to the company thrust upon them thumb

Cheers, well done & come back soon......

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
That's a nice animal and perfect bullet performance. I have one of those Model A Mausers opened to 404 as Ganyana talks of but it is great to see an original 10.75x68 in use like this. What velocity are you running with the Woodleigh 347 grainers? More photos and story please!!!!!!!

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Trophy...Congratulations !!!

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote