THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Buff, croc, and Hippo- where can you take all 3

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buff, croc, and Hippo- where can you take all 3
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As I stated in a previous thread I requested some specifics for a buff hunt. It was stated that I give more info such as additional species desired so here they are. Main concern is buff, followed by croc then hippo, which I assume inhabit the same types of home. thanks

Also where can one take 2 buff?

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Zambia and Zimbabwe on a 7-10 day hunt.

Tanzania and Botswana on a full bag.

South Africa with a very limited number of Outfitters www.rhinoland.co.za is the one I know of.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique. Do a search on google. It will give you more results than you can wade through in a day.
Or just look up: HHK Safari, there are severallinks tooutfitters on the African Hunter magazine website (listed above).
You have a pm coming.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania and Mozambique all have croc, hippo and buffalo.

Tanzania has the most liberal quota on buffalo, but for a price you can probably take two buffalo in the other countries as well. You may have to pay a significantly higher Trophy Fee for the second buffalo in some countries though.

If you really want two buffalo, croc and hippo, then I would look first to Tanzania.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The best place I can think of for a hunt that includes 1 Buffalo, 1 Hippo, and 1 Croc, is the Luangwa Valley of Zambia. This is legal on a 7 day hunt, and quite doable, in that time. If you up to 14 days you can also take Leopard, and/or lion. Baiting the cats is legal, and there are two or three plains game in the Valley that you will find no other place, as well. www.weshixon.com is one to contact, and there are others as well! You can fly right into the Valley at the village of Mfuwe, on comercial airline.

Good luck!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zingeli_Safaris
posted Hide Post
Rakman,

You will probably have to look at Zim or Mozambique. In South Africa it is really very difficult to get a croc CITES tag. Hippo are also very limited.

I can refer you if you want to, send me a PM.

Posts: 53 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rakman

Several coutries offer buff, croc and hippo but Zambia with operations right on the Luangwa are the only outfits that allow you all 3 on a 7 day hunt with a real expectation of taking all. Actually on the Luangwa getting the hippo and croc are mostly just a challege of your shooting skills.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rakman1:
As I stated in a previous thread I requested some specifics for a buff hunt. It was stated that I give more info such as additional species desired so here they are. Main concern is buff, followed by croc then hippo, which I assume inhabit the same types of home. thanks

Also where can one take 2 buff?

Here is what I would do.

1. Book a buff hunt with Swainsons Safaris in Dande North of Zimbabwe.

2. Book a croc/hippo hunt in the Chawalo concession of Moz. (www.southernsafaris.co.za)

3. Conduct the safaris back to back. Chawalo is just a boat ride across the river from Dande North.

In Chawalo, there are big, old crocs, and some very good hippo (which you will use to bait your croc). And Dande North has tons of buff.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500grains is correct. I did this exact hunt last summer for buff, croc and plainsgame. We passed on hippo but could have taken one everyday if we had chosen to.

Swainsons is no longer operating as a safari operator. They have the Dande North Concession but sublet to Chifuti or HHK, not sure which. I would go to that area for what you are looking for. See the hunt report by me (dogcat) for specifics.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
dogcat,

Swainson's is still around (in name at least). But you are correct, Chifuti has the quota on Dande North. Andrew and Paul are now calling the shots on Dande North. I don't know what, if any, involvement the Meredith brothers have in the operation. I know Julie (Claude's wife) is still working for them.

Amazing how fast Chifuti has grown. I guess having a couple of videos with Boddington does wonders for one's business.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
A buddy and I will be heading to the Luangwa Valley in Zambia in October 2007 and I'll be attempting to take a Buff, Hippo, and Croc, all with Bow and Arrow -- Looks to me to be the best "bang for the buck" in a dangerous game hunt. Not the brightest thing that I've ever attempted, but it will certainly be exciting, and very rewarding if successful.

Looked into Zimbabwe and Mozambique as well, but Zambia seemed to be much less hassle, and reports from many references citing plenty of unharrassed specimens of each species available. The hardest part was deciding on which outfitter to book with, as there were several with outstanding reputations. So, I took the one with a PH having solid bowhunting experience.

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
can you bring back a croc from zambia now?? when I was there in 2000 you couldn't

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rakman 1,
MacD37 is right about Zambia. I hunted the Luangwa valley this fall with Wes's outfit and could have shot a big hippo and a 14 foot croc from camp. I chose to shoot some of the plains game animals instead. Croc and hippo are cheap in Zambia $1,500 each. I did take a buff of over 40 inches on this hunt. If I can afford to go back in the future, I'll hunt croc and hippo.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote