THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What PH's do when not hunting with clients PART 2

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What PH's do when not hunting with clients PART 2
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted
A while back I posted about an Elephant hunt me and some fellow PH's from Namibia did in our spare time. Some of the forum members were a bit shocked that we sometimes also spend money to hunt. Well here is part 2 of what we do if we don't have clients to take out.

My daughter Zoë(5 years) has finally reached the age where she can actually hold a small rifle, having a couple of weeks open between hunts I started taking her out to shoot some water balloons at the shooting range. I have an old 22 Winchester mod 69A that belonged to my Grandfather and both my father and I started our hunting careers with this little rifle. After a couple of trips to the shooting range we’ve been out hunting the last couple of days without much success. Today that however changed, she shot her first trophy.

Now the problem is if I’m not hunting with clients I run around in the mountains with my 5 year old shooting Rock Hyrax.

Elephant Hunt in Africa US$ 30 000.00 Hunting Dassies with your daughter, PRICELESS!!!

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

www.facebook.com/shonahunting

www.AfricanHuntingNamibia.com
www.conservation-hunting.com
Mobile: +264 81 128 3105

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

Posts: 196 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 23 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To hell with Buffalo or Elephant, that's hunting!
I envy you.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love that last photo.Two bare bellies shining in the sun.Your daughter straining under the weight of her trophy.And her bare-footed.That is a classic and I hope you have the foresight to start her a scrap book of trophy photos.Should include some shots of her at the range with her water ballon targets as well as this one of her with "live" game.

My first grandchild is due in November and I hope to start a new book of memories like this real soon.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 this is the best posting I have seen here in a long time tu2

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is awesome, my son is only 14 months old now. i at least give him an empty clean .458 brass to chew on when he is teething.... that is about as close as we get to hunting together for now

one a side note, i love that .22. i have just finished restoration work on a .22 Brno of mine, same stock - after lots of sanding and some wood stain, plus a bottle of Shaftol it is now looking like a million bucks.

way to go!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my first safari, with Fanie Steyn of Thaba Mmoyo Safaris, we went to Kruger after the hunt. Because of security concerns, his whole family went, including little Zania, about two months old. On my last safari, little Zani and I went hunting together with the 22's. She is 11, and a crack shot. That was one of my best hunting days ever.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. It's great to see children hunting and shooting at such an early age.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1430 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
I am sure that she is a much better shot and companion that many clients Smiler
That is truely PRICELESS !!!!!

You are a wealthy man !

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.458Aurbs
I really hope your boy takes after his mother. two of you would be a lot of ugly for one planet sofa Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johann, Those pics are absolutely wonderful. Congrats on teaching her to shoot. Did the critter make Roland Ward? Big Grin

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I love the bare feet!!!! Thats priceless!!!! I have a 3 yr old daughter and cannot wait!!!1

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johann, I can't believe she's five, and you have her hunting. What a girl!

Give your family my best, and hope to see you again before too much longer.

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Cherish those moments, sooner than you can imagine she will be grown up and off on her own.

I started my son off while he was very young and now at age 18 he has had his own pack of lion hounds for 3 years and hunts them all winter. Even though he is now going into the service for 6 years I know that the heart of a hunter beats within him.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love it!! Just sent this to my wife as proof that our 4 year old grandson needs that Stevens Favorite I've been dying to buy him.... Wink

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Looking at the second photo, I'm going to guess that you're going to have your hands full in about 11 years... Smiler

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
What a great set of photos.

Thanks for sharing.

I hope to see you and her in Namibia sooner rather than later.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Great photos!!Congrats to Zoe and her father on a sucessful hunt. My grand daugther is 5 months old and the day she was born I told her mother and father that when she turns 7 yrs old she goes to Africa with me and Hunter's-Wife-to-be. I have even picked her up a pistol with pink grips and ordered a rifle for her.
Wesley

Posts: 676 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great post and reminds me of some liitle kid I knew a long time ago. Then another one about 17-22 years ago and 6 ft 5 inches 250 lbs ago. And finally I still have one little girl to go.

I saw that Winchester 69 and smiled yet another time on this thread. My daughter is ready to start on the 69 and Model 37 .410 soon!
She has already claimed a zebra skin rug from the next hunt. And she says "Dad, what are we going to do with those BONES?"

Thanks again and congratulations to you!

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wonderfull photos Johann, she´s a little beauty and obviously proud of her self (and with good reason!)
Congratulations with your little huntress.

I´m realy looking forward to meet you all in April next year, and have started the "count down" Smiler

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Johann: I can't believe how much Zoe has grown! You and Vera must be very proud. How are your folks doing? Sure miss Namibia.
Bill Powell

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16531 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
does anyone wonder what finger she has Daddy wrapped around Big Grin Big Grin she is going to be a heart breaker some day

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Enjoy every minute. My boy hasn't spoken a word to me in twelve years let alone gone into the veld with me.

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wonderful photos! You are raising Zoe just right, Johann. Good job!

~Ann

Posts: 19234 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
A real KODAK moment !!!

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos. And a lifetime of memories.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
GREAT PHOTOS ,THE KIDS MUST LEARN TO SHOOT AND HUNT AT EARLY AGE .I HAVE A ID OF 14 YEARS OLD HUNTERS AND IPSC SHOOTER,AND 2 DAUGTHERS OF 10 AND 8 ,THEY SHOOT AIRSOFT GUNS ,AIR GUNS AND 22S ,I INVITE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY TO MY FARM ,IT WOULD BE A PLEASURE TO KNOW YOU PERSONALLY.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
Hi to all
Thank you for all the positive comments. At least one thing positive about this whole economy slump is that I have some time to take Zoë hunting.
I'm glad to see that there are so many of you that value family life as much as We do.

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

www.facebook.com/shonahunting

www.AfricanHuntingNamibia.com
www.conservation-hunting.com
Mobile: +264 81 128 3105

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if all goes well our 3yr old great grand daughter will be going to zim the first of October. am planning to try a .22 there.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding photos! What a cutie! You're also going to need a big gun to keep the boys away from her! On second thought, she'll know how to use a big gun by then anyway! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
Teaching Zoë to shoot is only part of the whole hunting experience, for me it is very important that she learns why we do it as well. Not only to kill but also to utilize.

Last night, after letting the Dassie hang in the cooler for a couple of days, we grilled it so that she can eats some of it. She was a real trooper and actually ate more of the Dassie than anyone else.

If anyone out there has a good dassie recipe please forward it to us. It will definitely not be last one she eats.

Dassie on the Grill

Grandpa and Zoë

Done!!

One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
Great pictures Johann, tu2 can't believe she's grown so much.

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Great pictures.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the best time of your life, may you enjoy every second. Thank you for post. Jack

Posts: 32 | Location: Iowa USA | Registered: 20 January 2010Reply With Quote