Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi AIU, have used:

7x57
7x64BR
.308 Win
30-06

Posts: 37 | Location: western usa | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THE THREAD HAS BEEN HIJACKED!!!! Mad killpc

Posts: 67 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Christian,

Look forward to your first African hunt report and the merits of the .270

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Christian, don't give up hope, and don't give up on your dreams. I recomend you read the book "SAFARI RIFLES" by Craig Boddington. He will give you the pros and conns.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Christian Snyder:

Don't worry Christian, the probable intent of that post is to show what others are using for you, or perhaps even to ask the people who told you a .270 is fine but in fact use something else to eplain themselves.

Either way, don't worry about it and welcome to AR!

You might find that you are more mature at 13 than some of the others if you hang about mate! tu2

Now, when is your trip and where?

Your internet "shooting uncles" want to know!

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by venda axe:
Christian, don't give up hope, and don't give up on your dreams. I recomend you read the book "SAFARI RIFLES" by Craig Boddington. He will give you the pros and conns.

I have heard the name but who is this chap?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Christian,

You are very lucky to have the opportunities you are presented with as such an age. I can remember the many nights of waking up to a charging elephant or lion, thinking "man what I would give to go hunt Africa." I hope to be presented with the opportunity this summer, and hope to make the most of it. I hope you learn many ideals, and can apply them to your life.

I own a Rem model 700 .270 win. I was starting reloading the other day and consulted a Sierra book. It opened up to the .270 with an anecdote talking about taking game with a .270. The man did not have enough money to invest in another rifle, so he took it plains game hunting. He harvested all the game he gunned for that trip. I have been doing alot of hand loading lately, and recommend it for several reasons. It will one teach you some ballistics, and two provide you a great opportunity to practice. I use my "load development" as an excuse to shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.

If you read any of Bells books, you may get a huge confidence boost. He hunted elephants with a .303, 7mm, and several others.

I wish you the best..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
quote:

Don't worry Christian, the probable intent of that post is to show what others are using for you, or perhaps even to ask the people who told you a .270 is fine but in fact use something else to eplain themselves.

Either way, don't worry about it and welcome to AR!

You might find that you are more mature at 13 than some of the others if you hang about mate! tu2

Now, when is your trip and where?

Your internet "shooting uncles" want to know!
I have a good idea where I want to go. There is a safari company called Bosbok and they're located in the Limpopo province of RSA. I have met the PH at our local sportsman's show and he is a good guy. This all depends on how our finances go in the next 1-2 years as to if we get to go. We are hoping that all will go well and we can go in 2011 or 2012.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Craig Boddington is a very famous hunter. If you have ever heard of DSC'S Tracks Accross Africa, he hosts it. I beleive he has something to do with another African hunting show but I am not sure. He is a veteran of over 50 safaris and has hunted all over the world. He is very knowledgable on firearms and is a big bore nut also.

That is a summary of him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rhromm:
Christian,

You are very lucky to have the opportunities you are presented with as such an age. I can remember the many nights of waking up to a charging elephant or lion, thinking "man what I would give to go hunt Africa." I hope to be presented with the opportunity this summer, and hope to make the most of it. I hope you learn many ideals, and can apply them to your life.

I own a Rem model 700 .270 win. I was starting reloading the other day and consulted a Sierra book. It opened up to the .270 with an anecdote talking about taking game with a .270. The man did not have enough money to invest in another rifle, so he took it plains game hunting. He harvested all the game he gunned for that trip. I have been doing alot of hand loading lately, and recommend it for several reasons. It will one teach you some ballistics, and two provide you a great opportunity to practice. I use my "load development" as an excuse to shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.

If you read any of Bells books, you may get a huge confidence boost. He hunted elephants with a .303, 7mm, and several others.

I wish you the best..
I am no Walter Dalrymple Maitland Bell though! I may not have a bad case of buck-fever, but I don't have the cool head of Karamojo Bell. Besides, he was probably one of the most accurate shots of all time.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Aaah!

So patience then grasshopper, a lot can happen in a year or two and you might find you feel completely differently about your preparations in that time.

Some of the guys who have replied to this thread have been hunting in Africa for longer than I've been on this planet, Saeed for example went on his first when I was exactly one years old, and they seem to agree that your .270 will be fine.

In a years time you might have found a '06 that you like, or a .35 Whelen or 9.3 x 62 or even that a humble .308 has all the punch you need.

The advice I got with regard to calibres was much like Fairgame's sentiments above, use the right bullets in an reasonable calibre and it'll work no problem.

The real thing to do is to get plenty of practice shooting from field positions and off sticks. Also practice getting comfortable and getting the shot off quickly. Fox shooting, for you I suppose it would be coyotes, is a good way of practicing quick accurate shooting from field positions.

This sort of practice is fine to do with a .22, but if your father is a home-loader ask him to knock together some reduced practice loads for your rifle and use that.

When you're practicing use very efficient hearing protection. I teach newbies to shoot .308s at my rifle club in everything from 15 pound target guns to 8 pound jungle carbines. I have noticed that it is the blast, more than the kick, that seems to put people off and induce a flinch. With ear plugs in under ear mufflers, you will only feel a push in the shoulder, no harder than your buddies would jokingly punch you, and that's it.

Fit is an important issue here, my buddies .243 feels harder on my shoulder than my 30.06, but then my 30.06 fits me like a glove and my buddy's .243 was stocked for a masochist on a diet.

In conclusion, don't worry about the calibre it'll poke holes in things sufficient to kill them if you do your part, concentrate on the shooting part.

Best of luck to you young man, we expect a detailed report when you get back you hear? Smiler

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Craig Boddington is a very famous hunter. If you have ever heard of DSC'S Tracks Accross Africa, he hosts it. I beleive he has something to do with another African hunting show but I am not sure. He is a veteran of over 50 safaris and has hunted all over the world. He is very knowledgable on firearms and is a big bore nut also.

That is a summary of him.

Same bloke who makes a living out of promoting sub standard torches?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
Aaah!

So patience then grasshopper, a lot can happen in a year or two and you might find you feel completely differently about your preparations in that time.

Some of the guys who have replied to this thread have been hunting in Africa for longer than I've been on this planet, Saeed for example went on his first when I was exactly one years old, and they seem to agree that your .270 will be fine.

In a years time you might have found a '06 that you like, or a .35 Whelen or 9.3 x 62 or even that a humble .308 has all the punch you need.

The advice I got with regard to calibres was much like Fairgame's sentiments above, use the right bullets in an reasonable calibre and it'll work no problem.

The real thing to do is to get plenty of practice shooting from field positions and off sticks. Also practice getting comfortable and getting the shot off quickly. Fox shooting, for you I suppose it would be coyotes, is a good way of practicing quick accurate shooting from field positions.

This sort of practice is fine to do with a .22, but if your father is a home-loader ask him to knock together some reduced practice loads for your rifle and use that.

When you're practicing use very efficient hearing protection. I teach newbies to shoot .308s at my rifle club in everything from 15 pound target guns to 8 pound jungle carbines. I have noticed that it is the blast, more than the kick, that seems to put people off and induce a flinch. With ear plugs in under ear mufflers, you will only feel a push in the shoulder, no harder than your buddies would jokingly punch you, and that's it.

Fit is an important issue here, my buddies .243 feels harder on my shoulder than my 30.06, but then my 30.06 fits me like a glove and my buddy's .243 was stocked for a masochist on a diet.

In conclusion, don't worry about the calibre it'll poke holes in things sufficient to kill them if you do your part, concentrate on the shooting part.

Best of luck to you young man, we expect a detailed report when you get back you hear? Smiler
I used to use a .30-06. I have since used the .270 Win and I like it alot. In fact, I don't really miss the .30-06! It isn't just because I shoot better with a .270 Win, something just makes me really like the cartridge. I think that if I could only choose 3 cartridges, I would choose the .223 Rem, .270 Win, and .375 H&H.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Christian,
I friend of mine in Kenya is retired secong generation Ph. he loves 270 for plains game. his uncle who was a life long Ph was of the same mind. If you a Bell fan ask Steve (shakari) what it's like to hunt Karamojo now!! he was PH'ing there in march of this year.
PS welcome to the forum. and what ut for the trolls Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
Christian,
I friend of mine in Kenya is retired secong generation Ph. he loves 270 for plains game. his uncle who was a life long Ph was of the same mind. If you a Bell fan ask Steve (shakari) what it's like to hunt Karamojo now!! he was PH'ing there in march of this year.
PS welcome to the forum. and what ut for the trolls Big Grin
I know of Steve, I've read many of his posts on here. I have been lurking for a few months now. I like to "lurk" for a while before joining a forum.

What bullet would you all reccomend if I do get to go to Africa with a .270 Winchester?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like 150gr. match kings bye serria but there are other brands out there that are just as good. I reload so I can ajust the speed so I get the preformance I want out of the bullet

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Christian:
Several PHs I have hunted with in SA used 270s and a couple ranch owners used them as well. The cartridge seemed quite popular in SA. I would use 150 grain bullets for Africa with Swift A Frames my first choice. I have a pal who has hunted SA a couple times using a 250 Savage for up to and including Eland. He is a good shot who picks his shot. Rember a 12000 pound elephant can be sucessfully hunted with a 375. A 270 should certainly work on a 400 pound Gemsbuck.
Good hunting and pursue your dream!!! tu2

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you guys think of the Remington premier Gold box .270 140 grain A-frames? They interest me quite a bit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
Christian:
Several PHs I have hunted with in SA used 270s and a couple ranch owners used them as well. The cartridge seemed quite popular in SA. I would use 150 grain bullets for Africa with Swift A Frames my first choice. I have a pal who has hunted SA a couple times using a 250 Savage for up to and including Eland. He is a good shot who picks his shot. Rember a 12000 pound elephant can be sucessfully hunted with a 375. A 270 should certainly work on a 400 pound Gemsbuck.
Good hunting and pursue your dream!!! tu2
.250 Savage? Wow that is light! Your pal must be a good shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not shoot a bullet less than 150 grains, as it seems like to me the more the weight the more the punch. 150 grains is what I have used for whitetail deer, it packs roughly 2800 feet of energy, versus 3000 feet of energy produced by the 180 grain Barnes original.
http://www.cpcartridge.com/270winB.htm

There goes a ballistics table, if it were me I would choose between the Barnes X and the Nosler Partition. I think both are very dependable and pack a good punch. They both have great muzzle velocity and energy compared to the other bullet types. By hand loading the bullets can be loaded in steps, increasing the powder and speed until the best load is found.

My gun shoots partitions better than any other bullet Ive shot so far. I would love to try the Barnes bullets on a similar set up as shown in the reloading section. I can see where may be superior to the partitions, but partitions have killed every deer I have ever shot. I am very impressed with Nosler partitions, but currently load Sierra partitions, because they are half the price and I shoot too much for a college budget. The Noslers just seem like a much better bullet to me. My experience is limited to whitetail and bears, which are more comparable to impala weighted animals. I do not like ballistic tips because of twigs and debris ruining the shot of a lifetime.

My biggest fears of carrying a smaller caliber would be wounding an animal, chancing life, and wasting trophy fees.

The 300 Wby shooting a 220 grain bullet is producing similar velocities of the 270 with a 150 grain bullet, per rifle shooter.

It is interesting to compare the 300 win mag to the wby mag, to the WSM. Look at the 270 WSM to Win.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com...wby_mag.html&x=9&y=6

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once knew a hunter who killed a bull moose with a 22-250 with a good shot. It worked, it was legal, but was it wise?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some may also disagree but African game is a far tougher than any American specie.

jumping

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Man:
Welcome Christian and good post.
Your .270 will be fine. Your PH will know the limitations of you and your gun. Good luck on booking your plains game hunt.

This recalls a story in one of Col. Coopers books, I believe it was To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth (1998), where he went to Africa, to shoot buffalo.

At the time he was enamored with the .350 Magnum. He asked the Professional hunter if the he felt the .350 magnum was adequate. The PH had no objection, because he said he would be backing up the Col. with his double. The story as I recall it was that Cooper appeared on his next hunt with a M70 .460 G&A rifle with a Ghost Ring peep, that he called "baby." This thing was a little over bore and managed to kill two buffalo by penetrating one and hitting the one behind it.

LTC Jeff Cooper (USMC., Ret.)

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rhromm:
I would not shoot a bullet less than 150 grains, as it seems like to me the more the weight the more the punch. 150 grains is what I have used for whitetail deer, it packs roughly 2800 feet of energy, versus 3000 feet of energy produced by the 180 grain Barnes original.
http://www.cpcartridge.com/270winB.htm

There goes a ballistics table, if it were me I would choose between the Barnes X and the Nosler Partition. I think both are very dependable and pack a good punch. They both have great muzzle velocity and energy compared to the other bullet types. By hand loading the bullets can be loaded in steps, increasing the powder and speed until the best load is found.

My gun shoots partitions better than any other bullet Ive shot so far. I would love to try the Barnes bullets on a similar set up as shown in the reloading section. I can see where may be superior to the partitions, but partitions have killed every deer I have ever shot. I am very impressed with Nosler partitions, but currently load Sierra partitions, because they are half the price and I shoot too much for a college budget. The Noslers just seem like a much better bullet to me. My experience is limited to whitetail and bears, which are more comparable to impala weighted animals. I do not like ballistic tips because of twigs and debris ruining the shot of a lifetime.

My biggest fears of carrying a smaller caliber would be wounding an animal, chancing life, and wasting trophy fees.

The 300 Wby shooting a 220 grain bullet is producing similar velocities of the 270 with a 150 grain bullet, per rifle shooter.

It is interesting to compare the 300 win mag to the wby mag, to the WSM. Look at the 270 WSM to Win.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com...wby_mag.html&x=9&y=6
The Barnes Triple Shock X bulets do interest me. I have heard wonderful things about them. My dad reloads so it would be an option (I think they're handload only right?).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
guote:

DMCI*
one of us
Posted 15 October 2010 09:12

"This recalls a story in one of Col. Coopers books, I believe it was To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth (1998), where he went to Africa, to shoot buffalo.

At the time he was enamored with the .350 Magnum. He asked the Professional hunter if the he felt the .350 magnum was adequate. The PH had no objection, because he said he would be backing up the Col. with his double. The story as I recall it was that Cooper appeared on his next hunt with a M70 .460 G&A rifle with a Ghost Ring peep, that he called "baby." This thing was a little over bore and managed to kill two buffalo by penetrating one and hitting the one behind it.

LTC Jeff Cooper (USMC., Ret.)"

Cooper liked the .350 Rem. Mag. in the compact Rem. 660 rifle and did indeed try it on buffalo. He had an article on hunting buffalo in Petersen's Hunting in which he wrote (I'm going by memory, no time to look it up right now):

"Hitting a buffalo with a .350 is about like hitting a battleship with an eight-inch gun. It's okay for openers, but it's not going to settle anything."