Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to hunt elephant.
 Login/Join

posted
I want to go on an elephant hunt. Is it possible to do it for under $15,000 US? How can I arrange such a hunt. I am not particularly interested in trophies, but do want to bring some ivory home. Thank you.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard I...for that price and not looking for trpohy ele Zim is the place to go...IMO

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
you guys need to modify your information and let people know where and what you are.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ivory123,

Welcome to the forum.

You are not very likely to find a hunt for any ivory for that amount of money.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68744 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Kinda like saying you want to drive a new F-350 for $15,000! Seriously, in that price range you MIGHT find a PAC hunt and have enough left over for the airfare to get there and back, but not much for other animals and you won't be able to bring any ivory out. Reproductions by a competent taxidermist are about as close as you are likely to get. Most Ivory hunting starts honestly at around twice what you are looking to spend.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In that case, what is a realistic amount of money to spend for a decent non-trophy ivory elephant hunt? Are there any particular booking agents that can help me sort through the various outfitters and countries?

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe will be one of the least expensive options - if you're prepared to accept the current situation there. We don't operate there now, so I'm out of touch with Zim prices but I'm sure someone will tell you.

For Botswana or Tanzania you'll be looking at a base price of around US$30K - (Or at least, that's around our price)

Mozambique will be less expensive but a tougher hunt......

If you can settle for a PAC hunt and not keep the tusks then there are a few more options open to you.

Please feel free to send me an e-mail (not a PM)if you need further info or you'll find most of the info on our website.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A PAC hunt - Is tht some kind of animal control hunt? Culling?

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I've wanted to hunt elephant -- big, mean, 120-pound tuskers with a BAD attitude -- since I was eight years old. Now that I'm older, and a tad more educated, I realize I'm both too poor and about 100 years too late. I see guys getting excited over 80-pounders. It's sad. Too poor, too late. Pondoro and all those earlier guys... man, they didn't know how good they had it.

Russ

The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Problem Animal Control - Often crop raiders etc but it can be a much abused term. Often a better term might be "non exportable"

Russ,

It's not too late. Wink There are still big tuskers around - but not many and sadly they're not cheap by any means. Confused

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russell E. Taylor:
I've wanted to hunt elephant -- big, mean, 120-pound tuskers with a BAD attitude -- since I was eight years old. Now that I'm older, and a tad more educated, I realize I'm both too poor and about 100 years too late. I see guys getting excited over 80-pounders. It's sad. Too poor, too late. Pondoro and all those earlier guys... man, they didn't know how good they had it.

Russ

So go hunt... In 100 years some kid named Russell E. Taylor IV (or V) is going to be writing about how good YOU had it.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If Namibia gets it act together to allocate concessions for dangerous game, you might be able to find an elephant hunt in the low $20K (not including air fare, trophy preparation or shipping). Grateful for an update from NAPHA board members. Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are bargain prices on trophy elephant bulls out there, if you know where to look. For example,

quote:

ZIMBABWE
10 Day
Elephant Bull
US$750/day
Trophy Fee US$6,000.00
Total US$13,500.00

See here: http://www.cmsafaris.com

Chance of success is very high, but ivory will probably only be 30-35 pounds.

Earlier this season there was a special posted for a trophy elephant bull hunt in Chewore for $20K all inclusive. Ivory would be in the 40-50 pound range.

Of course for $30K you can get a 65 pound elephant in Botswana.

Tanzania has elephant, but lots of guys go home empty handed, and the ivory is usually not very large, but the price is high, so it is important to factor that into your decision of where to go.

I have also heard of trophy elephant hunting in northern Cameroon for US$11K all inclusive with some French outfitters. Supposedly the ivory is only 25 pounds or so. But I never ran down the details on that one.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ivory123:
I want to go on an elephant hunt. Is it possible to do it for under $15,000 US? How can I arrange such a hunt. I am not particularly interested in trophies, but do want to bring some ivory home. Thank you.

I'm with you - How much hunt can I buy with my money rather than how much trophy. I know the 2 can be combined but the price can get out of hand. The best trophies I have don't make any book but involved a hunt that was somehow special whether hard earned or collected with particular people - one of my favorite hunts was with my son and we came home empty handed and I would do it again many times even knowing the results.

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elephant hunt is one of the things I am saving my pennies for as the "next great adventure". I would be quite happy with anything between 35 -50 lbs.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can be done for $15,000 with Ivory up to 50 lbs and if your real lucky maybe a bit better, but 40 lbs is expected...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ray were can you hunt a 50 lbs for 15k or even a 40 lbs. i'd book one for next year, but if its in zimbabwe, i'd probably pass. to much of a mess over there.

Posts: 40 | Location: MA., USA | Registered: 19 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think in the old days they also got excited over a eighty pounder. They shot lots of 35 and forty pounders back then because as now there were more of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldnt hesitate to go to Zim for an elephant hunt. The good outfitters are still operating although with a bit more diffaculty.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was offered a ten day elephant hunt this Sept or Oct in the Dande concession (if my recollection is correct) for $16000, daily rate and trophy fee included. Transportation to/fr Harare may have been included as well but since the two choices of dates didn't work for me I didn't get too far into the details. The PH is a fellow I've met and with whom a fellow I know has hunted a bunch. My freind thinks very highly of the PH. If I could have gone I would have and I'm talking with the PH about a full price hunt next year.

As far as ivory size, a 35lber is a shooter but luck might get you double that.

I'm not sure if the hunt is still available but if you want more info or if anyone else wants this info, shoot me a pmail.

JPK

PS The PH is in the elephant hunting video clip that recently was posted here. By the way the PH's and hunter's names are reversed in the credits.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my 55# set me back 12,500 this spring

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
my 55# set me back 12,500 this spring

Oh! Country and safari company please? Thanks!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote