Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant conservation?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted
As i watched TAA last night the consevation message got me to thinking. If you want to maintain your deer herd population, you have to remove a certain percentage of females every year. Its as high as 30% in some locations.
In a recent study (2009?) i think they came up with Kruger having 15,000 too many elephants. Are there any established fiqures for the number of cow elephants you would need to remove to maintain the population at a certain level?

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with the Kruger elephants, according to a report by Ron Thomson a few years ago, is in the loss of top-canopy trees from an overabundance of elephant which has severely impacted the biodiversity of the park.

So, for the Kruger ecosystem to recover via normal ecological succession, the number of elephant would have to be reduced not to a sustainable level (about 6,000 if I remember correctly), but way below that - to around two or three thousand.

This is all from memory. It was a 2-part report, published in African Hunter I think - though not a scientific study. Maybe someone can pull it up.

As for just removing females, I think it's been determined that the best approach to culling elephant is to remove whole herds because selective culling causes too much trauma to the survivors.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
SteveGI is spot on! My memory - usually not very good - feeds back the same sort of numbers. You try telling a the ANC misgovernment, but really just a terrorist organization, with an idiot like Kortbroek van Schalkwyk as the relevant minister, that they are destroying a national park with their absolutely stupid policies.

Go see Kruger National Park now - soon it will be a wasteland!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
As for just removing females, I think it's been determined that the best approach to culling elephant is to remove whole herds because selective culling causes too much trauma to the survivors.

The only trauma I am aware of is that suffered by dependent calfs. That is why we do not take cows holding dependent calfs.

Why so many experienced african hunters on this forum seem to have so much difficulty understanding correct elephant culling procedures is beyond me. Confused

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
LH: What studies do you refer to for your basis of culling procedures?