New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early October in Zim.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
From talking to Buzz I understand its going to be HOT, plus we were in RSA a couple of years ago in early October and it was hot, but he says this is one of the better times to hunt elephant. I know we can deal with heat, after all we are from Alabama, and I just want to get an elephant, so when is the best time to hunt elephant?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted in Chewore North in both late October (2001)and in August (2004). Saw a LOT of elephant both times.

Seems like I may have seen more elephant in August, but that could be because it was my 2nd safari and I was more interested in checking out the elephants (hope to hunt tuskless cow in 2007).

Anyway, October is HOT!!! Probably over 110 degrees when you get away from the coolness of the Zambezi river. I'm sure it was over 90 degrees at night.

Here is a photo of the fist African animal I ever took, a Grysbok. It was on my first hunting day, after stalking lots & lots of buffalo. As you can see, I am sweating like a pig.

Good luck on your hunt!

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted tuskless cows and buff etc last Oct. Spent the first 11 days or so in Chewore South. It was hot in the middle of the day every day. Most mornings were pleasant, afternoons pretty warm, evenings pleasant again. No issues with the heat at night for sleeping, even woke up and hunted for the blanket a couple of times. Had to wear a fleece one morning. Plan on hunting in shorts for sure.

Sure makes a cold beer go down easy. Even just thinking about it!

It was very dry so it wasn't the opressive, sticky heat we get in the DC area or that you would be used to, much easier to take than that.

I'm going back from mid Sept through mid Oct so it couldn't have been too bad!

By the way, who are you hunting with?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in Zim last year mid Sept through early Oct and thought my brain was going to boil!!! Coming in from Alaska probably had something to do with it, I'm sure. I don't know how you fellas can take that kind of heat.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going back to Zim with Brooklands Safaris,
Oct 7th to Nov 16th. I plan to hunt bull elephant as well as several cows and other game.
I was "warned" it will be HOT.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was in northern Zim in early nov last year. I didn't find it bad. Of course I had just gone through a south texas summer so I was very aclimatized to heat. All I want to do is go back!!!!!!.
es

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I have watched Buzzs DVD, 4 times. Big Grin Eeker That damn $30 DVD is going to end up costing me $14k Eeker jumping

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote