Find
Notify
Tools

Back from Zambia
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Good morning folks and a happy Labor Day to you all. Our flight got in around 4:00 yesterday afternoon from Heathrow and I was home around 7:00 last night after a thoroughly enjoyable hunt in the Nyaminga and Chanjuzi GMA's along the Luangwa River Valley with Johnny DuPlooy's "Muchinga Adventures" set up by Mark Young and Adam Clements with Safari Trackers.

We hunted and were succesful on buffalo, hippo, croc, puku, kudu, bushbuck and baboon. This was wild Africa at it's best, right across the river from the Northern Luangwa National Park. We had lions roaring every night, hippos grunting lullabies in the river, hyenas padding through camp after dark and eles feeding and breaking tree limbs within earshot of our huts!

Saw a great old Jumbo bull, the largest I have ever seen in the wild, that one of the PH's in camp guessed would go around 70 pounds... a real treat and john e, who posts here and was one of our intrepid hunters, has a great picture of him.

British Airway's was superb, the best flight to Africa in 10 trips! They looked after us very well and Heathrow was no problem at all. World Traveler Plus is the way to fly and is my preferred method of traveling now. Customs in Chicago sucks however... I don't think they get many hunters going through there and we had to go through Immigration there on the BA route.

Scott and John (SBT and 30-06) are in camp in Chanjuzi with their wives and we had a nice visit. John had already taken a buff and baboon on his first day and a dark maned lion was spotted at the river just next to camp on their first day. I predict ol' Scott will bag his lion and John his leopard fairly quickly... good luck to both hunters!

I also met Trevor Proctor and his group fom England. Trevor posts here under TT Proctor. He is a gunsmith back home and has built rifles for all of the PH's at Muchinga... really fine work as most of the rifles are 458 Lott's with classic English styling. They will be moving to our camp in Nyaminga to hunt for buffalo the next couple of weeks.

I will post a full hunt report in a few days... now I find I must reacclimate to the "real" world.

Cheers All!
Russell

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you had a good trip! Scott and John are the best. It's great that there are lions about for them!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Welcome home Russell, glad that you had a good trip and enjoyed Zambia. Your camp experience sounds just like mine...heard more activity at night along the Luangwa then anywhere else in Africa that I have been. As you said, "wild Africa".

Looking fwd to the picts and full story. Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Welcome back -- it sounds like you had an excellent trip. I also look forward to pictures and full details.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic

8 days and 22 hours ish I am on a plane to Lusaka myself en route to Lower Luangwe with Ron Cowan for 10 days

I hope you left some 48 plus Buff

David

Posts: 34 | Location: Surrey, England (Nr UK for you US folks) | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Welcome home Russell. It's great to hear you had a successful trip. I really hope Scott finds that lion.

Get to work on that hunt report!!!!

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Welcome back, Russell. Glad to hear you had a good trip!

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a great hunt and looking forward to the photos. What is "World Traveler Plus?" jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Wow, Russell. What a Safari! Glad that you made some wonderful new memories. We will all be looking forward to your hunt pics and stories!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Welcome back! I'm looking forward to your report and photographs.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Good to hear you had a great trip.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Russ,

Welcome back to the real world...Congratulations on your fine safari..Good shooting....

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!! God I love Zambia

Sprig

cheers

Rose lipped maidens--light foot lads!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Okie City | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm,

Hurry up and get over the jet lag and post some pictures!

Welcome back!

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm,
Good to hear you had another great trip.
Looking forward to the report.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Congrats on another successful safari! I, like others, are looking forward to the pictures!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is "World Traveler Plus?" jorge

Jorge,
World Traveler Plus equates to Business Class but was only $600 more than Economy on BA! Beats doing the "poverty parade" to the back of the bus and not nearly as expensive as other carrier's Business Class.

Thanks to everyone for the remarks, I will get pictures and a report out as soon as possible. I am at work today and while nothing "big" happened there is still a huge amount of catching up to do!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post

Gentlemen,
Finally uploaded most of my pictures to Photobucket last night. Will try and get my report started this weekend after I get back from visiting my daughter at college Sunday afternoon.

My first buffalo of the trip taken with a Sterling Davenport .375 shooting 300 grain Swift A-Frames. Only buff I have ever taken with one shot!

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
That'll do for an appetizer!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sad tired worn out looking old Bull. waaaayyy past breeding age. Nice buffallo though.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote