THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: DON'T go hunting without one of these!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: DON'T go hunting without one of these!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted
JCN, Talked to a friend who is a doctor and he raved about the stuff. Wanted to know how I found out about it. Keep up the good work. We need you here.
Max

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS The price of the kits is now $74.95 (down from $79.95). Tac-Ord will also send them directly to a soldier overseas for $69.95.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey ALF,

The kit contains dressings and some good cling gauze to help in applying direct pressure. It also contains explicit instructions on how to apply direct pressure.

Quick Clot in no way replaces standard first aid procedures and techniques. What the Quick Clot does is make the basic first aid measures MUCH more effective.

From your study of surgical history, you know how the concept of internal fixation revolutionized orthopaedic surgery. Time will tell, but I believe Quick Clot will have a similar salutory effect on the practice of battlefield and civilian trauma first aid.

Quick clot has indeed been used within body cavities in a coagulopathic individual with Thoraco-Abdominal penetrating trauma:
http://www.z-medica.com/Press2004/JournalofTrauma2004.pdf

Quote:

This stuff will not stop a major arterial or even worse venous bleed! it works for major flesh wounds where blood is seeping from torn tissue.

You might find this study from the Journal of Trauma interesting. It discusses the success in stopping major arterial and large vein bleeding with using Quick Clot to augment direct pressure. For Brevity, I have only attached the Abstract:

June 2003; 54(6):1077-1082
Comparative Analysis of Hemostatic Agents in a Swine Model of Lethal Groin Injury
Hasan B. Alam, MD; Gemma B. Uy, MD; Dana Miller, MD; Elena Koustova, PhD; Timothy Hancock, BS; Ryan Inocencio, BS; Daniel Anderson, BS; Orlando Llorente, MD; Peter Rhee, MD, MPH
Background:
Techniques for better hemorrhage control after injury could change outcome. A large-animal model of lethal, uncontrolled hemorrhage was developed to test whether the use of various hemostatic agents would decrease bleeding and improve early survival.
Methods:
A complex groin injury was created in 30 Yorkshire swine (42-55 kg) to produce uncontrolled hemorrhage. This injury included semitransection of the proximal thigh and complete division of the femoral artery and vein. After 5 minutes, the animals were randomized to (n = 6 animals per group) no dressing (ND), standard dressing (SD), SD and Rapid Deployment Hemostat (RDH) bandage, SD and QuikClot hemostatic agent (QC), or SD and TraumaDEX (TDEX). Limited volume 0.9% saline (1,000 mL over 30 minutes) resuscitation was started 30 minutes after injury. We measured blood loss, early mortality (180 minutes), and physiologic markers of hemorrhagic shock (e.g., cardiac output, blood pressure, hemoglobin, metabolic acidosis).
Results:
Application of wound dressing decreased mortality in all groups compared with the ND group (83% mortality). However, this difference was significant (p < 0.05) only for the QuikClot hemostatic agent (0% mortality). Before the application of dressing (first 5 minutes), there were no differences in blood loss between the groups. After application of dressings, the QC group had the lowest blood loss (4.4 � 1.4 mL/kg).
Conclusion:
Of the hemostatic agents tested, QuikClot improved survival and decreased bleeding in a swine model of lethal vascular and soft tissue injury.
Submitted for publication August 27, 2002.
Accepted for publication February 28, 2003.
From the Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (H.B.A., G.B.U., E.K., T.H., R.I., D.A.), Bethesda, Maryland, Department of Surgery, Washington Hospital Center (H.B.A., D.M., O.L.), Washington, D.C., and Department of Surgery, Los Angles County, University of Southern California Medical Center (P.R.), Los Angeles, California.
Supported by Office of Naval Research grant MDA905-97-Z-007. Additional material support was provided by the Marine Corps War Fighting Laboratory, Quantico, VA.
The opinions and assertions contained herein are the private ones of the authors and are not to be construed as official or reflecting the views of the Department of Defense at large. This manuscript was prepared by United States Government employees and, therefore, cannot be copyrighted and may be copied with restriction.
Poster presentation at the 61st Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma, September 26-28, 2002, Orlando, Florida.
Address for reprints: Hasan B. Alam, MD, Department of Surgery, Room A-3021, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814; email: halam@usuhs.mil.
Uncontrolled hemorrhage is the leading cause of death in civilian and military trauma, 1 and effective hemorrhage control after injury could improve outcome. 2, 3 Historically, approximately 20% of injured soldiers are killed in action, with 90% of the deaths taking place before reaching the field hospital. 4 When the source of bleeding is in the chest or abdomen, not much can be done in the battlefield to control the hemorrhage. In contrast, bleeding from an extremity injury can potentially be controlled by direct compression and application of dressing by the soldier him- or herself or the first responder. However, in a review of Vietnam War data, almost 40% of soldiers that died because of exsanguination had a source of hemorrhage that could have been controlled by simple hemostatic measures. 5
The ideal method for hemorrhage control should be suitable for application by a layperson, with effective control of bleeding from a variety of sources within minutes, and it should be associated with a low complication rate. The U.S. Military has invested considerable time and effort in this quest, and although a number of hemostatic agents have been identified, 6-8 no clear winner has emerged. In addition, most of the animal models that have been used to test hemostatic strategies do not simulate complex battlefield injuries, thus making their relevance questionable. 9 An area of increasing concern is lethal hemorrhage from sites that are not suitable for application of tourniquets or compression dressings (e.g., complex groin wounds), as seen during recent conflicts in Somalia and Afghanistan. This study defines a clinically relevant animal model of lethal hemorrhage from a complex groin wound and tests the efficacy of different hemostatic agents, in addition to standard dressing, on control of bleeding and improvement of early survival. < !--color-->

I have a CD ROM that shows Quick Clot being used on a transected Femoral artery and vein. The video speaks for itself. Instead of posting it here I will have Tac-Ord post it on their web site in the next week or two.

If you want to PM me with your address Alf, I'll burn a copy for you.

JCN

PS Please, everybody keep those questions coming. I will incorporate them into a FAQ section on the Tac-Ord web site.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just read a liitle on the web and one finds that the QuickClot is composed of zeolite granules, crushed volcanic rock?:

http://www.mall-net.com/mcs/zeolite.html

It is a mixture of silicon and aluminum oxides. Molecular sieve like function.

I am wondering what exothermic reaction is going on, to cause heat/burns? It doesn't seem like it could cause much heat to me. Are acids being generated to cause burns? Further reading is necessary unless sumbuddy can explain it to me

Sounds acceptable on balance as a life saving measure, with enough evidence to support its use along with all other first aid measures applicable: dressings, direct pressure, pressure points and tourniquets ... with big bore IV's, hemostats and surgeons to follow ASAP.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP,
way I remember from times gone by,anhydrous aluminum oxides gets quite hot when mixed with water.So if this stuff is anhydrous Al oxide this might be all there is.Possibly responsible for the clotting action too

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
JCN

Thanks again, it certainly appears this product could save lives, The battlefield I don't have to worry about but a lot of things can go wrong in the bush a long ways from medical assistance. I will look for you in Reno.

CFA

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DaggaRon,

Your on to it. I copy the entire US Patent No. 4,822,349 for your review. The substance is dehydrated zeolite and a "binder" material, probably clay. The exothermic reaction is not well explained, I may look into that a bit further.

You can find the 510(k) Summary at http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfPMN/pmn.cfm?ID=6152. Click on the hotlink "Summary" toward the bottom of the page. It was found SE to the RDH bandage K002550.

Best regards;
Brett

Inventors: Hursey; Francis X. (27 Keeney Ave., W. Hartford, CT 06107); Dechene; Fernand J. (2931, New Britain, CT 06051)
Appl. No.: 603884
Filed: April 25, 1984

Current U.S. Class: 424/445; 602/42; 602/48; 604/367
Intern'l Class: A61L 015/00
Field of Search: 604/367 128/156 424/27,28,14,157,445,446,447

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

References Cited [Referenced By]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. Patent Documents
4525410 Jun., 1985 Hagiwara et al. 604/367.

Primary Examiner: Rosenbaum; C. Fred
Assistant Examiner: Colosimo; Mark F.
Attorney, Agent or Firm: McCormick, Paulding & Huber

Claims

We claim:

1. A method in the medical treatment of warm blooded mammals for reducing the flow of blood from an external wound or other opening in the heart, vein, artery or other internal organ,

(a) providing dehydrated zeolite molecular sieve material in a sterilized form suitable for use in or on a person to be treated,

(b) applying said zeolite molecular sieve material directly to the wound or other opening from which blood is emanating so as to completely cover the wound or opening in order that zeolite molecular sieve material absorb water from the blood to achieve a coagulation effect, and heat the tissue adjacent the wound where the moist blood comes into contact with the zeolite molecular sieve material to cauterize such tissue as a result of exothermic action from the zeolite molecular sieve material.

2. The method of claim 1 wherein the zeolite molecular sieve material is provided in a clay-binder and wherein the binder and entrained zeolite molecular sieve material are provided in the form of beads.

3. The method of claim 1 wherein the zeolite molecular sieve material is provided on a bandage so that the application step is a two step process fulfilled by applying said material directly to the wound only after it has been first applied to the bandage.

Description

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

This invention relates generally to a novel method for treating bleeding in warm blooded mammals, and deals more particularly with the use of a molecular sieve material for this purpose.

In carrying out the method of the present invention a molecular sieve material, preferably zeolite, is provided in a suitable binder and in sterilized form such that it can be applied directly to an open wound. The wound or opening to be treated is completely covered in order to achieve the best results. The blood from the wound is absorbed in the interstices present in the preferred dehydrated sieve material, zeolite, with the result that increased coagulation is achieved due to the fact that the blood is demoisturized as a result of passing through the layer of zeolite applied to the wound. A further advantage is achieved as a result of the heat generated in the exothermic action of the zeolite material on the moist blood, and this heat cauterizes the wound. This added advantage coupled with the moisture absorbing characteristics of zeolite provides a very efficient base for any ointment or salve such as are sold for use in bandaging materials.

DETAILED DESCRIPTION

Zeolite crystals are available indigenously in New Jersey, Long Island and along the Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia. Many varities of these naturally occuring minerals have been found. Zeolite minerals have also been found in sedimentary environments and may have been produced by the alteration of volcanic ash by gradually receding lake waters. The desert areas of the western United States are a good example of this occurence.

Zeolite has also been produced synthetically by duplicating this natural hydrothermal process as a result of which zeolite minerals are assumed to have been formed in nature. About thirty species of zeolite have been prepared in a pure state as a result of carefully controlled various parameters, such as the initial composition of the gel, crystallization temperature, and type of reactant. Polymerization of aluminate and silicate anions produces zeolite and depending upon the type of reactant used and the crystalization temperature achieved some of these synthetic species appear to be structurally related to natural zeolites. Others have no known analog from among such natural zeolites. Generally speaking more open zeolite molecular structures are crystalized from sodium containing gels rather than from those which contain potassium, as for example the alkyd ion. The hydrated sodium ion is slightly larger than the hydrated potassium ion. Crystalization of the hydro vs gel exhibits an induction period which can be determined by following the formation of crystals as a function of time, a process apparent as a result of utilizing X-ray techniques. The induction period apparently corresponds to the growth of crystal nuclie to a critical size, followed by the rapid growth of the crystalite to the final zeolite crystals.

Given suitable crystaline and zeolite, one must then dehydrate the zeolite to eliminate water molecules from the cavities within the cystaline structure. This is generally done by the application of heat in a vaccum. The basic framework of the zeolite structure does not appreciably change as a result of the dehydration even under very stringent conditions, and the zeolite can conveniently be sterlized at this point when practicing the method of the present invention.

The crystaline solid remaining after dehydration and sterlization can be highly absorbent for selected gases and vapors. Molecular sized voids permeate the crystals forming the internal surface area or absorption space. The zeolites generally produced for such absorption purposes contain approximately 50 percent by volume of void space for absorbing selected materials. While it is known to utilize zeolite for the absorbtion of water, the present invention deals with use of zeolite for absorbing blood. Due to the interaction between the di-pole of the water molecule in the blood with the charge on the zeolite structure the zeolite cavities are essentially filled with moisture from the blood, a result enhanced if a clay binder is used and the zeolite material provided in the form of beads as is sometimes done when adsorption of gases is to be accomplished as for example in the manufacture of humanly breathable oxygen.

Although zeolite molecular sieve materials have been used for absorbing water, and numerous gases, they have never to the knowledge of Applicants here been utilized for the treatment of open wounds or internal and/or external bleeding. Some use has been made of zeolite materials for absorbing hydrocarbons (as for example gasoline and ethylene). But to the knowledge of your Applicants here the use of zeolite material in the treatment of open wounds has not been recognized. A distinct advantage to the use of zeolite for this purpose can be layed to the heat generated as a result of the exothermic action when the zeolite material absorbs moisture from the blood. The heat generated is not excessive, but is sufficient to achieve cauterizing of the wound in addition to the improved coagulation effect had on the blood itself by absorption of the water in the blood.

The various means for utilizing the dehydrated zeolite material referred to herein can be summarized as follows. First of all, the material can be provided in a paste form on a bandage or the like. Alternatively, the material can be dispensed from a small container so as to be readily applied to a bandage or Band-Aid prior to applying the bandage or Band-Aid to the wound. In a small consumer type product a pencil of zeolite material in a binder with or without an aluminum sulfate filler to achieve selective application to small cuts or blemishes that have been caused or aggrevated by shaving or the like. Finally, the zeolite material might also be provided in a form more suitable for surgical emergencies and military paramedic situations

posted Hide Post
RIP:

You certainly must be related to your bastard brother JCN. It takes my breath away.

We were counting posts by all the smart doctors to see who would have the grace to be the first one to acknowledge that this product has merit and meets an important need. That is a graceful "cave". Unlike when I am right about something and JCN goes out and starts shooting cats. That have nice little rhinestone collars. In broad daylight. Ah, but I digress.

Isn't it funny (interesting) that all the real advances in medicine come from engineers and chemists vis doctors? xx

You need to come visit your bastard brother. He can take you "bowling for buffaloes".

By the way, Tac-Ord will be offering kits with insulated Diet Coke holders.

Lois

Posts: 31 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Rip:

Charlie is my unit. I bet him that it would take three posts before you caved. Charlie said it would take at least four. We will count posts to see who buys dinner.
Don't fall for his "aw shucks, I'm just a simple country doctor" bullshit! That's how he sucked me into his world.
Lois
PS Actually, he fell for me after I shot his pick up. But that's a story for another day.

Posts: 31 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi quickfinger,
Just to prolong the agony, and the number of posts, whose posts are you counting and what constitutes a "cave?"

one of us
posted Hide Post
The camoflagued unit is hard to find, the orange unit is hard to miss:

Even if you use the contents, the pouches are still handy:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Y'all. Just heat of absorption given up when the water gets absorbed into the crystalline structure ... otherwise pretty inert stuff that would take high temperatures or halogens to get it to react chemically? ... I used to know some chemistry basics about 30 years ago ... oh well ... It looks like good stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good gang,

I'll save you a little detective work.

This substance was initially developed to absorb jet fuel spills for NASA. The lead guy cut himself shaving one day, there was a dish of the stuff on his desk, on a whim he put some on the cut, it stopped bleeding, "toot sweet".

So, Z-Medica forms, the Navy and Army kick in development money in their pursuit of one of the holy grails of front line medicine.

It's a funny thing about being a foot soldier. Normally you trip over trauma surgeons every fifteen minutes, they're so thick on the battlefield. And you run into trauma facilities every five miles or so. Then "WHAM" an IED takes off your hand, or an AK round clips your femoral artery, and wouldn't you know it; all the surgeons are off at a staff meeting, and all the trauma centers are closed for TQM or EEO training that day. You can't even scare up a single big bore IV or pair of hemostats. It's just you and your buddy care trained buddy.

You do have your Quick Clot Kit however, and you received the US Army GO/NO GO training in its use, and you can both read (it being the all volunteer Army and all).
So you do have Quick Clot, a very nice compression dressing, two rolls of cling gauze, a tournequit that can be applied with one hand, an Asherman Chest Seal in case you got shot through the chest also (hell, you can seal the exit wound with the wrapper even).
A couple minutes later the medic shows up, and slaps in a couple big bore needles attached to a couple liters of semi-sweetened lactated ringers. As soon as the surgeon gets out of his staff meeting you'll be shitting in tall cotton.

I spent an hour reviewing this thread with Jim Ryan, the president of Tac-Ord. We are going to incorporate all the questions (and quibbles) into a FAQ document for the web site.

I have to head up into the hills tomorrow for house calls, but I will load the Power Point into my office computer on Wednesday. Anyone who sends me their regular e-mail address, I will forward the Power Point presentation to. I must warn you, it is very graphic. It has pictures of people (civilians and soldiers) who are pretty shot up being treated with Quick Clot. It also answers 85% of the questions raised on this thread. Both the Power Point presentation, and the video of the Quick Clot stopping the arterial bleeding (in conjunction with pressure) will be up on the Tac-Ord site as soon as we can find our web lackey.

Tac-Ord is not going to make much (if any) money off this project. There just isn't much mark-up on the components of the kit. We wanted to price it so that people can afford it on an Army private's pay. We want to see this stuff widely disseminated because we believe that it will save many lives in the years to come. I am refusing compensation to keep costs down, and so there won't be a question of what my motives are.

Jim's impetus to go forward with this project came from a discussion he had with an 18D (special forces medic) who did a tour in Afghanistan. He is convinced that one of his teammates who died would have survived if he (the 18D) had had some Quick Clot then.

I am going to be at SCI Reno. If it doesn't conflict with the SHOT show, Jim will attend with me. We will demonstrate this stuff to anyone who wants to learn more about it.

I'm the first to admit that I'm just a simple hillbilly country doctor. I spent more time flying jets than studying in med school. Hell I even forgot the mechanism of action of Plavix. But even I am smart enough to recognize a product that can help save lives, and doesn't cost much. Like Jim said today "even I can do the math on that equation."

JCN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lois,
Tell Charlie to set up some buffalo at the bowling alley, and I will attend the tournament.

The QuickClot looks like an important addition to everybody's first aid kit. I will order.

If the zeolite stays sealed in the vacuum pack, it ought to be good for a long time.