Find
Notify
Tools

Rank the big 5 in order..
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted
I obviously have not hunted the big 5 and need some assistance in a little project. In which order would you rank the big 5 for danger..

I know it is subjective but I need to decide. I am trying to design some poker chips if you must know.

Thanks, John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Folks please understand this is a personal take on this subject, not legitamized by personal experience with them all! Still I have seen others take them all, and have taken some myself! Still a very small sample to make my judgement anything better than an educated guess!

In order of danger of loss of life if cought by the animal involved:

#1 Elephant! If he catches you your chances of coming out of the fray alive are slim to none!

#2 The African lion! This guy is only a small amount less than the ele as likely to kill you if he gets on you.

#3 The Buffalo, has tossed a lot of folks with some disasterous results, but without killing them. They were just hurt so bad they thought they were dead! Make no mistake, he can and is quite willing to kill you if he can, and has killed plenty of people who pissed him off! There are a couple on this board who have had personal experience with the black bull's temper! They might disagree! Wink

#4 Leopard! He is the most likely to get on you, and/or someone in your party, if you wound him, and he gets int the long grass, but is less likely to kill you, unless you die from infection, which isn't beyond reality!

#5 Rhino (white), Because the black isn't in the game anymore, is way down the list of things that can, and will, if given the chance, enjoy killing you, and are good at doing just that. I personally don't consider the White Rhino to be any more dangerous than a big wild brahama bull, and I consider the hippo, on dry land, to be more dangerous.

Now, if you want to rank them as the ones most likely to hurt you if you screw up,and wound, then the order will start with a wounded Leopard, or Lion! Eeker

All only opinion, that is only worth the price you guys pay for it! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience is that Mac is pretty much right on. Ive shot all except rhino and I did get to see some black rhino close up last year while hunting sable in the midlands. All you need is a tree and you can get away from a rhino. That is if its the right tree and its close enough, and you can climb fast enough etc. etc.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
No experience around rhino, but I believe Mac got the order right on the others. Most of the big 5 are opportunistic and dangerous when cornered or injured, but the elephant will formulate a plan to kill you.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, with the Black Rhino maybe coming back on the scene, where would it rank? Before or after either of the cats?

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hillary
Teddy
Bill
any Dimo congressman/woman from California
any Dimo in the 9th Circuit Court of Appeal

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Having taken the three of the Big Five in the order that Mac has them, I would wholeheartedly agree with his assessment and ranking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest-

Your post really cracks me up.

Immediately I got a picture of some elephants sitting around with plans drawn out on how to stomp sombody's face in.

beer

-Spencer

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Folks please understand this is a personal take on this subject, not legitamized by personal experience with them all! Still I have seen others take them all, and have taken some myself! Still a very small sample to make my judgement anything better than an educated guess!

In order of danger of loss of life if cought by the animal involved:

#1 Elephant! If he catches you your chances of coming out of the fray alive are slim to none!

#2 The African lion! This guy is only a small amount less than the ele as likely to kill you if he gets on you.

#3 The Buffalo, has tossed a lot of folks with some disasterous results, but without killing them. They were just hurt so bad they thought they were dead! Make no mistake, he can and is quite willing to kill you if he can, and has killed plenty of people who pissed him off! There are a couple on this board who have had personal experience with the black bull's temper! They might disagree! Wink

#4 Leopard! He is the most likely to get on you, and/or someone in your party, if you wound him, and he gets int the long grass, but is less likely to kill you, unless you die from infection, which isn't beyond reality!

#5 Rhino (white), Because the black isn't in the game anymore, is way down the list of things that can, and will, if given the chance, enjoy killing you, and are good at doing just that. I personally don't consider the White Rhino to be any more dangerous than a big wild brahama bull, and I consider the hippo, on dry land, to be more dangerous.

Now, if you want to rank them as the ones most likely to hurt you if you screw up,and wound, then the order will start with a wounded Leopard, or Lion! Eeker

All only opinion, that is only worth the price you guys pay for it! beer

Class: Dangerous Game 458

Advanced Course.

Prerequisites:
Big Game Hunting 101
Plains Game 308
Plains Game 338
Dangerous Game 375
Dangerous Game 416

Professor: MacD37

Student Evaluator: Mrlexma

Professor MacD37 has a fine grasp of the subject matter. A+
Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1.my mother-inlaw
2.my sister-inlaw #1
3.my other sister-inlaw #2
4.my other sister inlaw #3
5.my other sister inlaw #4
** you want to see DANGEROUS GAME? Just drop a Twinkie on the floor!

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
This is a fun one. I've only hunted buffalo, but I have read a lot and spoken with folks that hunted all of them, even with some regularity. I really can't argue with MAC's list, but I offer this for thought: Yes the elephant by virtue of his sheer size, if he gets to you, well game over. But from what I have observed, they can be "turned" by a clap of the hands (this I witnessed first hand), or a non-lethal shot high on the forehead. Yes, I have heard more frightening tales of buffalo doing errant hunters in that any of others, especially when wounded. A leopard will definetly hurt you, but they usually melt away into the bush after they've turned you into biltong, but not quite fatal.

Then there's the lion. I don't know, to me they seem as the most terrifying. Like the buffalo, once they charge, they are not dissuaded unless you kill him or he kills you and while you might get lucky with a buff just "tossing" (listen to me I make it sound like a game of horseshoesSmiler ) have you guys looked at a lion's teeth and claws? So I guess I'd pick the lion, followed by the buff then elephant, leopards and rhino lat. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Right on Mac...I have taken 2 of the big five..A bull ele 30 feet a buf at 40yds...I can tell you, I checked my rifle more then once to make sure there was a round in chamber and even wondered if the 458Lott was enough...Elephants are very intimidating up close...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a hunter, the cold, hard statistics say thaat you have 5 x the chance of being mauled by a leopard than anything else.

When things go wrong arround an elephant, though, they usually end up with a bloody smeer on the ground that no doctor can patch up.

Replace rhino with hippo on land... That is sport!

Lion injure very few hunters and kill even fewer- In, fact, cannot remember the last time a PH or client got killed by a lion. Mind you, that doesn't stop lion hunting being exciting

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
1. Mosquito
2. Unsterilized water
3. Black kid with an AK-47
4. Snakes
5. Unprotected sex in Africa with a stranger

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cats:
** you want to see DANGEROUS GAME? Just drop a Twinkie on the floor!

roflmao

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

"Replace rhino with hippo on land... That is sport!"

Years ago (1982 to be exact) I was operating a Zodiac with an outboard while Nassos and a client were trying to kill a hippo way back in a narrow, shallow bay. They mostly just pissed him off. The only way back to open water was through our little boat. It got pretty
"sporty" that afternoon before it was all over.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Elliott:
Ganyana,

"Replace rhino with hippo on land... That is sport!"

The only way back to open water was through our little boat. It got pretty
"sporty" that afternoon before it was all over.
Rich Elliott

Submarine attack!!!!! QUICK depth charge!!! Eeker Eeker

Now that is one place the hippo has a REAL advantage, in the water, and you in a RUBBER BOAT! nut

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Mac,

They shot dry but he kept on coming. I had 3 220 gr solids left in my dinky .30-06. The first went wild as the boat was still rocking. The second body shot was just a salute! The last was intended to brain him as he dove under us. I was a bit late but smashed the first vertebrae for the same net effect. Boy did we get wet! My wife was laying across the front of the Zodiac taking pictures. There were some really good slides. That particular hippo was a local problem. He had one tusk that had grown out the side of his mouth and was poking a hole in his upper jaw every time he closed his mouth. I'd brained another hippo early. We towed both within reach from the shore and skidded them up on the bank with a jeep and a long rope.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Talk about a tight sittuation! Sometimes you just can't predict what will happen on a seemingly simple hunt. The Hippo's tusk problem kept him pissed off all the time, and as you say, he had become a problem to the locals. We had one on the Luangwa River that the right tusk had missed the honeing tusk, and grown out to the side. It missed the lip, but was blunt, and about 3 feet long. I guess this made him a little wary, because we tried for a week to take him out, but he gave us the slip every time! I don't know if anyone ever got him. I finally took a 28" bull, but would have liked to have had that long tusk mount on my wall. I love hunting Hippo on land. It can get dicey on occasion, but it doesn't compare with him under a rubber boat! Eeker beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith