THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    100lb Ele Shot in Zim (PH Thys DeVries) !!!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100lb Ele Shot in Zim (PH Thys DeVries) !!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
From an email from John Barth:

A true 100 pounder has been taken in Zimbabwe. Adventure Unlimited's best elephant outfitter and professional hunter -Thys DeVries- took the bull last week with one of his Russian clients.

The right tusk was 82 inches in length and 21 inches in circumference and weighed out at 101.2 pounds. The left tusk was 78 inches in length and 21 inches in circumference and weighs out at 95 pounds.

The concession where the elephant was shot borders the Hwange National Park. In the past decade this concession and safari outfitter has produced several bulls with ivory in the 70+, 80+ and 90+ pound range, and now a legitimate 100 pounder.

Adventure Unlimited is offering 3 safaris in this concession for the 2008 season. The safaris are 10 to 14 days and guided on a 1x1 basis. The total hunt including the trophy fee is $37,000. Hunts will be conducted from September 1st thru mid November.

We have one permit still available for this year, and there are lots of big bulls in the concession right now. The hunter who took this hundred pounder was going to take 2 elephant, but after this bull decided he had been blessed and finished his hunt early. We can offer this 2nd bull for $29,500 to anyone who can get on a plane in the next couple of weeks.

John Barth & Jeff Sellers
Telephone: 361-852-0537
Email: safaris@trip.net

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a hell of a Bull. Puts into perspective some of the other inflated claims of ivory weight by other outfitters.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is another photo of Thys and his client with the pulled tusks.

Posts: 157 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tremendous bull and definitely a trophy of a lifetime. Those areas bordering Hwange have been very sweet this year. I could not believe the shear numbers of bulls we saw there in mid Sept this year.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Those tusks look every ounce of 100 lbs to me. WOW!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Massive tusks! Congrats to the PH and the lucky Russian hunter!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13472 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the fact that it came from Zim instead of Bots. Amazing.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Great ivory! John can you tell us any of the details/story of the hunt?

That is exactly what I was holding out for in March…although 2/3's of 100lbs would have been gladly accepted! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic ele!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've spoken to Thys just briefly on the phone. They are all still celebrating and we didn't get too much time to visit about the details other than the weight/length etc.

Don't quote me, but I believe Thys said the client had hunted with him on a previous occasion and taken nice ivory, and on this trip he was actually going to hunt for 2 bulls. When they shot this one they decided they had had enough good luck. Briefly he did state that they took the bull in the last couple of minutes of the day, and that it did not present itself for a clear shot, but he got a glimpse of the ivory and told his client to take it, and he did.

I'll speak with Thys again later this week and get a few more of the details about the actual hunt.

Doug Hidden, who hunted for Thys for many years before marring and moving to Alaska, took a bull in the exact same concession a few years back that was 85 inches in length and they thought it would make the magic number, but they pulled a long nerve and it ended up coming in at the high 80 pound range. Penny DeVries took a bull before that, once again with similar dimentions that went 92.

I think Thys, Doug, Calvin (who also took a big bull 2 years ago that won the biggest bull in Zim award at 90+) and Pen all knew that a hundred pounder would come, and they were close many times, but now they are justified in their claims.

And to set the record straight just so there is no confusion this was one of Thys's clients, not one of mine. My company just sells safaris for Thys and his team, and I consider myself lucky to have had clients fortunate to take some great bulls with them in both Botswana and Zimbabwe for the last 10 years. While I would love take credit for it I can't. I just represent the PH that did, and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy who after many years of shooting big ele's deserves such a reward.

Regards,
John Barth

Posts: 157 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
What a fantastic ele.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Absolutely outstanding. This is what John Barth has been telling me all along.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
It is great to hear that the true, old warriors are still out there and can be hunted.

Outstanding!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
That is one outstanding bull!

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
clap
Congrats to the skillful, well prepared, AND lucky client and PH.
Not quite a daily occurrence, these 100-Pounder's.
clap

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to come back and look at them again...Shazam! There are still a few out there guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The concession where the elephant was shot borders the Hwange National Park.

Hmmmmmm .. I'm leaving in a few hours for Matetsi 5 (which also borders Hwange) Smiler . Think his big brother might be around?? dancing

Lots of eles leaving the park now that the water's dried up and the cows are traipsing around looking for water and food. Mat 5 has both, so says Ron Oliver.

Hang around for the report when internet access allows it ....

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, just fantasic, incredible, did I say fantastic?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

Can you tell us which area in Zim bordering Hwange was this ele shot in?

The hunter is indeed a lucky man to be rewarded The dream of many hunter's!

Anyone know how old that ele would have been?

Thanks,

Arjun

Posts: 2552 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
It is so wonderfull to know that some of these elephants of that size as been eluding hunters for years. Face it when he was in the 50# class no one would have thought twice to shoot him when hunting in ZIM.

So how long does it take for tusks to go from 50# to a 100# I'm sure it takes a while. Just wonderfull I tell you great to see a beast like that going down to a hunter rather than to a poacher or hunger. Trophy of many lifetimes. thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double or Bolt Action rifle?!?!? shocker lol

A GREAT day for dangerous game hunt-
ing, especially in these modern times! dancing

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff, nice to know these are not just relegated to black and white pictures in colonial memoirs...

Does anyone know when the last sport-hunted 100lb elephant was taken?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as I am aware Kai Uwe Denker's clients in Namibia have shot a couple in recent times, within the last 10 years!

Posts: 2552 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Just goes to show you they are still out there... A toast to the hunter and a legally shot lifetime trophy... beer

How I wish to go again...

Dennis the best to you and get a lifetime trophy...
Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
wow good stuff outstandig bull

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Beautiful animal, glad it fell to a hunter and not a poacher.

Does anyone know how the elephant was hunted? My impression is that some of the areas around Hwange are hunted at waterholes, at night with spotlights. I am not suggesting that was case in this instance, I am just curious exactly how the elephant was hunted if anyone knows.

Mike

Posts: 21373 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
John,

Can you tell us which area in Zim bordering Hwange was this ele shot in?

The hunter is indeed a lucky man to be rewarded The dream of many hunter's!

Anyone know how old that ele would have been?

Thanks,

Arjun

reddy375,

What a wonderful prize!

My guess would be the bull was between 50 and 58 years old. The PH will check the molars and tell the age within one year either way. 58 to 60 is maximum age for the majority of elephants.

Both genetics and environment (food and water, minerals, droughts etc) affect tusk growth. Put another way, take two bulls both 55 years old - one could have 75lbs aside and the other 150lbs aside.

Safari-hunt,

This might partly answer your question too. Only a bull with the genetic potential to grow 100lb tusks will get there before he dies of old age. If a bull has the potential to grow 180lb ivories, he will grow far more pounds of ivory per annum than the 100 pounder, but he also then requires optimum nutrition.

There is no constant growth curve for all bull elephants (or cows for that matter).

Good Hunting.
Richard.

Author of: The Hunting Imperative; African Epic; Ndlovu - The Art of Hunting the African Elephant. (Available from Rowland Ward Publications and Safari Press)

Posts: 78 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Mr Harland,

Thanks for the imformative post.
So if the ele was around 58 years old and he went over 100# does that mean that for the past 25 years he walked around with ivory over 50# would that be safe to say or is the growth curve not constant enough to make such a claim ?

I'm very much interested on how many years this trophy bull eluded hunters ?

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
The de Vries boys do it again, perhaps the most consistent big ivory getters in Africa! thumb

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
reddy375,

What a wonderful prize!

My guess would be the bull was between 50 and 58 years old. The PH will check the molars and tell the age within one year either way. 58 to 60 is maximum age for the majority of elephants.

Both genetics and environment (food and water, minerals, droughts etc) affect tusk growth. Put another way, take two bulls both 55 years old - one could have 75lbs aside and the other 150lbs aside.

Safari-hunt,

This might partly answer your question too. Only a bull with the genetic potential to grow 100lb tusks will get there before he dies of old age. If a bull has the potential to grow 180lb ivories, he will grow far more pounds of ivory per annum than the 100 pounder, but he also then requires optimum nutrition.

There is no constant growth curve for all bull elephants (or cows for that matter).

Good Hunting.
Richard.

Author of: The Hunting Imperative; African Epic; Ndlovu - The Art of Hunting the African Elephant. (Available from Rowland Ward Publications and Safari Press)

Richard, I'm thrilled you've joined us on AR! You are certainly someone we'll all trust for a "been there done that" opinion. Thanks for your input and knowledge. Please keep it up, it's educational.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just read that this company is going to do exploratory hunts in Angola in 2008 and reopen it to hunting. They hope to get CITES permits for elephant also. That's interesting as it would give another access point to the migratory elephants around the Caprivi.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Beatiful! Congrats to the hunter!

What area did this bull come from?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't wait until Ivan Carter gets home from Zim in 5 weeks. I'll ask him if he wants to change his mind about no 100# ele in Zim!

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
What area did this bull come from?
My assumption would be Tsholotsho, where Doug Hidden had been hunting before he went to Ak.

One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
Wow... Eekergood to see that there is still some big guys around.
Congrats to both hunter and PH
thumb

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
The bull was taken in Tsholotsho in the camp owned by Jack Andrews. As previously stated, this area borders Hwange Park and has a history of producing great trophy ivory. The down side is that most of the hunting is done at night while sitting on a water hole and shooting with a spot light. While in Zim last week I visited with Jack and he told me a 100lb bull had just been taken. For what it is worth, he also said that there were large herds of Buffalo in the same area. I guess there is no water in the park so the water holes on Jacks place are pulling a lot of animals from the park...

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
With all due respect to a magnificent trophy, but if that elephant was taken at a water hole at night with a spot light, that is not my idea of an elephant hunt. That is just my opinion, I respect someone else's right to hunt them any way they want.

Mike

Posts: 21373 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...kind of odd but I emailed the operators that took the elephant and they are wondering how I know about it? Not sure what that is about.