New
Find
Notify
Tools

Euro Mounts/skins done in RSA?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will be going on my first plains game hunt, in RSA, next July. Because of $s and space in my home, I am only gonna do 2-3 skull mts. and one or 2 soft tanned skins. If you are not going to do shoulder mts, does it make sense to have the skull/plaque mts. done over there? You have theprice of dip/pack/crate, and shipping either way, just wondered if I wouldn't be $s ahead to have them done there, then they are finished when I get them. Most likely I will use highveld taxidermy. I'm thinking kudu,impala,euro mt., and zebra soft skin[no rug backing]. Then, LOTS OF PICTURES!

What do you think?

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
I have several mounts which were done by Highveld Taxidermy, and in my opinion, they do an outstanding job.

I think whether you do the mounts at Highveld and have them shipped complete or ship them raw and have them mounted in the states, the total finished price will probably be the same.

Best of luck on your first Safari!

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I agree. Life Form Taxidermy does an outstanding job on Euro/skull mounts as well.

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are not going to do shoulder mts, does it make sense to have the skull/plaque mts. done over there?

Yes, I believe this can be a good idea if you are happy with the work.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lifeforms did a lovely job on my shoulder mounts, European mounts, and skins. Really nice!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I highly reccommend Highveld. I had a Kudu and Warthog done in shoulder mounts, a Blue Wildebeest, Gemsbok, two Impala and Blesbok done as European mounts, and an Impala and Blesbok tanned, along with a Zebra rug. All arrived in excellent shape and their packing and crating is meticulous.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
European mounts are finished taxidermy and can be shipped consolidated ocean freight. Usually a bit cheaper when I last checked.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunny:
European mounts are finished taxidermy and can be shipped consolidated ocean freight. Usually a bit cheaper when I last checked.

I agree but, a skull mount has to have a panel to be considered a finished mount.

You will save money if you have the skulls and rugs/tanned flat hides done in RSA.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While the Ocean Cargo shipping has worked wel for me twice now, with a small package like you are talking about it might be just a reasonable to ship by air - get quotes both ways.!

You should not be paying Dip/Pack charges on Taxidermy done over there - crate only.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the imput. BTW, are the finished rugs soft tanned[in other words supple], or hard tanned[ridgid]? Also what is the difference between a flat rug and a back skin rug? I as this because that is the way it is described on highvelds price list. Thanks.

Mad Dog

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flat skin is the entire critter including the face. Back skin is the left over rear part of the hide when a shoulder mount is done. I'm betting the back skin was MUCH cheaper.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YUP! about 1/2.

Mad Dog

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Highveld will back your Zebra with hand-sewn felt, if you wish. The two hides, Blesbok and Impala, that they did for me are very soft, supple and beautiful. Wish I'd had the other Impala done, also.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote