THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Advice for youth on first time safari

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice for youth on first time safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted
Looking for input of what you did right and what you might have done wrong if you took your son/daughter to Africa for their first safari.

The kids will range in age from 13 to 17 and all be hunting with their fathers.

It is strictly a plains game safari.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took both of my sons, respectively, at age 15 for plains game hunts, the oldest in Namibia in 2011 in a conservancy and the younger in Botswana in 2015 at Tholo.

Both hunts were great and we had other adults who the kids knew along on the trips as well. Mom was not involved other than giving her blessing to some father/son bonding time.

Things I think I did right:

1. Plenty of range time. Not just static shooting from a bench but some semi-realistic shooting. We had shooting sticks and some of the game targets which showed the heart/lung areas of the game we were after.

With the second son, I also bought a Ruger 77 in .22 caliber which had a bolt action and a three position safety, basically identical to the .30-06 we would actually be using in the field. We spent a lot of time simulating hunting in Africa in the Northern Nevada desert. Shooting bowling pins, moving from one place to another, shooting off sticks, safety on, safety off, etc...

The second son was a lot better prepared than the first (who did spend a lot of time at the range but only shooting the actual hunting rifle).

2. All of the kid's electronics go dead when the plane leaves the U.S. I realize that for those of us in business we may need to communicate but the kid's both knew that other than phone calls home to Mom on Dad's phone to let her know that Dad had somehow not managed to kill them, they were in an electronic free zone.

3. We hunted with a PH I have been hunting with since 2002 and I trust implicitly. It was difficult as a father but definitely better to let the PH talk and coach the kids on their hunts rather than grumpy old Dad getting involved and throwing his two cents in. Sometimes took a bit to keep my mouth shut but it worked.

Things I think I could have done better:

1. More range time. However much you think you've spent it could be more, and the more realistic the better. Lesson learned from son number one and implemented with son number two but could have still done better.

2. Wish I'd spent more time with both boys covering stuff like map reading, compass reading, situational awareness, things I kind of took for granted growing up and spending time in the military. Today's generation has way too much dependency on technology to function. Africa is a great place to discover that technology can cease to exist.

Hope this helps and best wishes on your hunt.

Feel free to PM if you wish.

Jason

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
Very well stated Jaglav. I could not agree more. My boys have hunted 3 times with me in Africa. Just finished a plains game trip with them. 14 and 16 at the time. Wife and daughter went as well. The PH runs the show. I still went on the stalks to assist. Sometimes the PH and I would talk things through as if he and I were hunting together. I made sure he called all the shots. We all shot my .375.H and H. The boys loaded ammo with me before the trip. Both hunting rounds and practice rounds. We also shot little green army men at 50 yds off the sticks with my .22LR. Makes for a fun game, cheap and teaches trigger control on the sticks.
The best thing I did on the trip was relax when my son wounded an animal. We were in the Freestate in RSA. wide open and long shots. My son shot low on a blesbuck at 230 yds in the morning. He broke the front leg just below the vitals. We found it and finished it at last light. He was very down on himself. He was worried about the trophy fee etc. Just encourage, be supportive and it will all work out. Blesbucks are cheap. Time spent and memories made with your kids are priceless

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Never been on an African Safari, and never Fathered a child, but the best advice I can offer from watching parents bring kids on hunts in America, Do Not EXPECT A Kid To View Things As YOU DO.

Let them enjoy the whole experience, do not pressure them.

A first hunt like this, either you win them or you lose them, it all depends on how you handle the situation.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have made five trips with my son and 2 different nephews. I agree with a lot with what has already said.

Range time is so important. Before trips, we spent a lot of time at the range, shooting off sticks or off-hand. Very little shooting off the bench. The boys each have a primary rifle, but they shoot all the rifles going on the trip. Every time we left for a trip, the boys were very familiar with all the rifles making the trip. In all our trips, we have only lost one animal, a blue wildebeest that my oldest nephew hit a little low.

Relax and have fun. Enjoy it all. Don't stress out if someone misses a shot or is a little slow to get on the sticks. It is vacation.

I always give each kid a small pocket camera to carry on the trip. They have taken some real cool pictures of all sorts odd things.

It has been a pretty simple formula for me. Prepare the kids at the range, and have them confident in their rifles. Relax & roll with the punches,....be a bit of kid yourself. You will all have fun.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Jaglav covered things very well. I'll add a few things that I felt help us. I've taken both my sons on a few safaris - the first plains game, all subsequent safaris have been dangerous game.

1. Range time with actual shooting positions - mainly from shooting sticks, but some off-hand, kneeling resting on knee, sitting resting elbows on both knees, prone. Bench shooting is of no value.

2. For bolt action rifles, most of the practice was with a suppressed .308 in the same action as the .375 they both used. For doubles, I worked up reduced recoil loadings that regulated well and had them shoot and hunt in TX with these.

3. We have some property where a few blackbuck and axis frequent. Range time is good, but nothing tops hunting on foot with you playing the role of PH, setting up the shooting sticks, and directing the shot. It teaches them the importance of wind direction, sound, concealment, movement and shot placement. They also become proficient in adjusting the sticks themselves under real conditions, and learn why staying glued to the PH on the appraoch is critical. If you're not blessed with year-round hunting opportunities like much of TX, hunt deer, elk, hogs, etc with them on foot with shooting sticks - the same ones you'll take with you.

4. We're all unique with different strengths and weaknesses, and each person responds differently to coaching and training. My oldest son is impressive when we're shooting plywood look-a-likes, but when the real thing is in front of him, he falls apart. I spent much more time stalking the real thing with him. My youngest son is opinionated and hard headed, just like me, and we usually end up competing by the time its over. For him a safari shooting school was the ticket.

5. Buy the "Perfect Shot II" and make them read it, especially the animals they'll be targeting. Knowing where the shot should be placed is critical. Some PHs can describe it very well, others leave a bit to be desired. Not that they do not know, but sometimes their description doesn't necessarily do it justice - usually because there's no time for a complete description. "Take him on the shoulder" may be sufficient for experienced hunters, but maybe not for a first timer.

6. There are several videos on shot placement and safari preparation. For those who are eager to learn, these are a great resource. Learning about the history and culture of the area you're headed is something I consider important as well.

7. If your kids have never traveled much internationally, Africa will open their eyes to a world that is much different than what must Americans take for granted. Make them take deflated soccer balls and air pumps, frizbees, candy, crayons and coloring books - things that are easy to pack and travel with, but will mean so much to a child who has nothing.

8. A well-placed shot with a smaller, well-constructed bullet will always trump a poorly placed shot from a large caliber. I pushed my oldest son to a .375 at an early age - too early - and he developed a flinch that has taken many years to correct. Once again, we're all unique and we all have different tolerances for recoil. Don't push kids beyond their tolerance level.

Hope some of this helps. PM me anytime if you have further questions.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC hit the nail on the head when he said to ot expect your kids to see things as you do.

I took my three sons a few years back. Had a great time. They were: 12, 16, and 17.

My mistakes:

I was there for 17 or 19 days. Much too long. 10 days would have been perfect.

I hunted too much. We were hunting from sun up until Sundown, with exception of a quick 1.5 day trip to trip to Kruger.

Next time I would slow things down and not get as caught up in the hunting. Don't get me wrong, it was fun and my kids enjoyed it. However, I have finally realized that while my kids like to hunt, they do not like to hunt as much as I do. And, that is perfectly fine with me.

There is more to Africa than hunting.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
CHC hit the nail on the head when he said to ot expect your kids to see things as you do.

I took my three sons a few years back. Had a great time. They were: 12, 16, and 17.

My mistakes:

I hunted too much. We were hunting from sun up until Sundown, with exception of a quick 1.5 day trip to trip to Kruger.

Next time I would slow things down and not get as caught up in the hunting. Don't get me wrong, it was fun and my kids enjoyed it. However, I have finally realized that while my kids like to hunt, they do not like to hunt as much as I do. And, that is perfectly fine with me.

Jason, you're a wise father.

Posts: 3917 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for what Jason said

Focus on the adventure that a safari is - a good safari is so much more than a list of species ticked off. The good operators/outfitters shine and stand head and shoulders above the regular outfitters in providing a great adventure. Book wisely; most safaris should not be defined by what is in the skinning shed. Especially one for youth hunters

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to kids and guns...recoil and noise are the enemy of marksmanship. They will develop a flinch that will plague them for life. Good double ear protection on the range (Plugs and Muffs) combined with a small caliber rifle like a 22 Hornet or similar. Ruger makes some great small bolt guns. CZ does as well. A 223 bolt gun isn't bad for learning.

Shoot on steel at distance. It rings and gives instant feedback. It's an ideal target to learn on.

Don't shoot it inside 50 yards. Always angle it down into the dirt.

Eye pro...yes.

Learn the basics from the bench before you try to go full ninja with positions.

Always focus on basics...breathing...relaxing...aiming...squeezing...natural point of aim...bone support...always try to use a rest, not off hand.

Lastly, for kids it has to be fun. They aren't fun when tired/hungry/afraid. Keep it positive and happy.

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I took 2 of my sons on a PG safari to RSA, and then a few years later took the youngest to Zim for Cape buffalo.

Range time has been covered pretty thoroughly, except to say that there's never too much, and shooting off sticks is better than practicing solely on the bench.

If you and your kids are all hunting, you might want to invest in a videographer if you want really great memories. I tried to hunt and take pictures/video, and learned quickly that you can hunt, or film a hunt, but not both at the same time--at least, not very effectively.

Personally, I'd never go back to Africa if I couldn't take one or more of my sons.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1554 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaglav:

2. All of the kid's electronics go dead when the plane leaves the U.S. I realize that for those of us in business we may need to communicate but the kid's both knew that other than phone calls home to Mom on Dad's phone to let her know that Dad had somehow not managed to kill them, they were in an electronic free zone.

3. We hunted with a PH I have been hunting with since 2002 and I trust implicitly. It was difficult as a father but definitely better to let the PH talk and coach the kids on their hunts rather than grumpy old Dad getting involved and throwing his two cents in. Sometimes took a bit to keep my mouth shut but it worked.

Jason

Right now I am at the phase where everyone knows more than dad. Smiler

I wish it was as simple as telling my kids to turn off their phones but I know my son will have as much enjoyment posting on Facebook and Instagram at night his journey as he will anything else. It will be off during the day but I will let him at night. I cannot say much, I am probably the worst of all.

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:

My mistakes:

Good thoughts I had not considered. His eyes will be wide open as he has never barely left Utah and has never left the states.

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
1. Shooting stick time is a must. I learned that before and after my first safari. I honestly think off of a bench is worthless as it is not realistic for what happens in the field. Once I know the rifle is sighted in I hardly let my son shoot off a bench.

2. I learned my kids will have legit hearing aids. I tried ear muffs and stuff and they just get in the way. I am purchasing him in-ear aides before we go.

3. this is this trip I plan to sit back and enjoy the ride. Best part is he has no idea it is coming and won't until Christmas.

4. Good thoughts from all of you. I appreciate it.

One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
I think the best range shooting advice I ever received was to shoot at photographic targets of plains game. Being a bird hunter primarily those photo targets really helped. By the way, this same principle is why the military uses silhouette or three dimensional targets to teach marksmanship. It’ll help your kids and build their excitement, too.