New
Find
Notify
Tools

LION QUOTA PROBLEMS - TANZANIA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This just in: The Mminister of Natural Resources and Tourism, through the Wildlife Department, has cancelled ALL lion and ostrich quota in the country until further notice. There will be a review of the quotas for these species! no other reason has been given

Hopefully the reviewed quota will be circulated within 48 hours but one never knows in Africa.

Current clients on safari in Tanzania CANNOT hunt a lion at this time. Word is that quotas will be reduced but hunitng of lion will be allowed to continue.

If I hear of any further development i will post it here.

Reetrever and others, this is not a prank like SBT pulled.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I already have paid for my all my big animals..and have my tags and permits.. Big Grin

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I am not pulling your leg. Every single hunting client in the bush at the moment with lion permits CANNOT shoot a lion until further notice - or at least does so at their own risk.

I truly believe that revised quotas will be effective by the time your hunt starts so you should not be affected but consider this: it is the 18th of July which means those that started hunting 1st July for 21 days have 2 1/2 days of hunting to go. If they have not already shot their lion, they in all probability will be working around some "hot" baits. Should a shootable lion come to bait during this time - i.e. before the revised quota is introduced - they will not be allowed to pull the trigger i.e. they will go home without one....

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I wonder is trip insurance would cover such a thing, i.e., the primary purpose of a hunt is lion.... and gov't action makes such impossible?

Anyone know the answer.

As to Retreever/Mike: You've been too lucky so far to have some temporary blip worry you. You'll get your lion! .... and, of course, an elephant and leopard, too. I worry about the ostrich, though!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7693 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So.....if I am sitting in the bush right now, on a hot lion bait, PAYING DG DAILY RATES, and now I cannot shoot a lion do I revert back to the lower cost plains game daily rates until this is resolved ?

Why should one pay DG rates when he cannot shoot DG ?

Boy, this is going to play hell with hunters currently in the bush, just landing in TZ or getting ready to board the plane..........JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
I already have paid for my all my big animals..and have my tags and permits.. Big Grin

Mike

Nonetheless, a fresh order from the game department supercedes any license or tag already paid for. This happened last year with PAC elephants in Mozambique. Those were elephants on quota, which had already been paid for by both the outfitter and the clients. Nonetheless, the game department order stopping the hunt stops the hunt.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I bet there is a ton of pissed off Ostrich hunters out there. Big Grin

Welcome to Africa.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ

Being that we are talking about Tanzania there really isn't a plains game rate to go back to as in Zimbabwe. If you choose to hunt lion in Tanzania you need to have a 21 day license which allows you the opportunity to hunt quite a variety of non-dangerous game animals in addition to DG. A lot of these animals on the 21 day license are not allowed on the 7 or 14 day license. So if in the unfortunate case a hunter has not shot his lion during this closure but still wants to hunt leopard, lesser kudu, gerenuk or his 3rd buff etc. the cost of the hunt probably will not go down.

Its hard to say how individual hunting companies will handle this but at this point it is premature to come up with any scenarios as we don't have a clue what effect if any this will have on this years safaris. As for our company the earlier reduction in quota had zero effect on us and I would hope for the same with the lion quota. We don't try to shoot our full quota anyway effectively giving us a buffer against something like this.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Young, I'll admit I have never been to Africa hunting but I hope to someday. But I have heard guys talk about going to hunt only lions, they did not care about anything else, just the lions. So what about the guyswho only want lions? I don't understand your comment about how you don't know how this will effect this years hunts, isn't the ban in effect now ? All of this years hunts are being affected now arn't they ?

Posts: 30 | Location: South Of Key West | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this real or are you guys just trying to mess with Retreever?

I would really appreciate it if you could let me know. I need to wtite a check today for $46,000 for the balance of my daily rates. If this is true, I am not sure I want to do it. I hate to cancel my safari if this is a joke.

Thank you.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I have been able to verify that it is true. The Tanzania Hunting Operators Association is hopeful that it will only be for a few days.

The Hunting Report is sending out an e mail extra on this.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
beachbum,

Until we know how this all will shake out there really is no concrete answer to any of your questions. This could be a blip on the radar screen or something more serious. There really is no point in creating worse case scenarios with the minimal amount of info we have.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FROM THE HUNTING REPORT

If you are on your way to Tanzania to hunt lion, you should know that lion hunting has been put on temporary hold while the Tanzanian Wildlife Department and the Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism re-evaluate the lion quota for this season. While this may amount to little more than a short-term postponement of lion hunting, we wouldn't be doing our job if we did not tell you about it.

We learned of the temporary closure from Mohamed Abdulkadir, secretary general of the Tanzania Hunting Operators Association (TAHOA), who was trying to confirm details long-distance when we spoke with him. Abdulkadir said TAHOA planned to protest the quota changes, stating that operators had already sold hunts based on the quotas approved prior to the season opener and already had clients in the field.

Officials in the Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism and the Department of Wildlife were not available for comment when we called. However, we did reach Gerard Pasanisi, president of TAHOA, who told us from France that he did not consider the government's move on lion a closure of hunting. He referred to it as a "delay" and went on to predict a resolution of the matter within a few days. Other sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said changes in lion quotas would affect only some operators. We are following this matter closely and will file another bulletin as soon as new information is available. - Barbara Crown.

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this is conservation related or dollars related? I would hate to think that our good friends in the Tanz government may be trying to up the ante on permits (extort) more money from hunters.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bet there is a ton of pissed off Ostrich hunters out there.

I can't believe it! I can't hunt an Ostrich! Eeker
Wait a minute, I'm not going to Tanzania! Big Grin

Hey Mike!

I have a feeling everything will work out for you!

Got get'em!!!!!!!!! thumb

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unconfirmed rumors that the quota for lion HAS BEEN re-instated today. Outfitters will be receiving their letters to this effect today. Will keep you posted when it happens.

No one is sure what caused this momentary glich. The important thing is that having lasted for no more than 24 hours, I suspect no one was affected by it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
IT IS NOW OFFICIAL. LION HUNTING TO CONTINUE. NO QUOTA REVIEW HAS BEEN DONE AS FAR AS I KNOW.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I think some gov't minion read SBT's post about anthrax and knee-jerked? As an experiment as to whether Tanzanian officials read AR:

Today, the Tanzanian Minister of Natural Resources and Tourism announced that JudgeG, a really wonderful fellow, has been granted a lifetime license to hunt anywhere he so wishes in the country. All safari companies are to honor this "license" and take him hunting for any species he desires on a no-cost basis to him with trophy fees, charter, food, drink, transportation and dip and pack included. SBT, an AR member and notorious trickster from Jackson Hole Wyoming will be responsible for gratuities and providing quality cigars.... that is, unless Retreever had him taxidermed and placed him on the wall to forever stare at a picture of Hillary Clinton naked.

Now, when I receive my license, we'll know that Scott was to blame. Roll Eyes

Good for you fellows that it would have been effected!

Happy hunting!

Retreever, " Please, Mr. Postman! Deliver the letter, the sooner, the better."

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Former Mayor calls President , lion hunting is back on... thumb

Mike animal

3 days till the Selous

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Come on Mike. Like you weren't sweating it! Why else are you up at 5:00 a.m.?

Now, relieved, go back to bed and sleep some!

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Sweating?!?!?!

I have to admit that if I was inmikes, (or anyone elses similar shoes) then I would be climbiing the walls with worry!!

Anyway given that I'm not going on Safri for the next year or so I don't have to worryabout it!!

Good luck on the hunt Mike, and here's to the big lion that wasn't shot last week and you're gonna get nbetween your leopard and Ellie!!

Where are you gonna get time to shoot them three Bufff????

Rgds,

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Does this mean I can finally get that ostrich I always dreamed of! clap

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Hey Judge, I'd be glad to provide the cigars as long as I'm there to hand them over to you!

Mike, if I can have any input, I'd prefer that you use Nature's Design in Cody, WY for the taxidermy. They do really good work.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having him mounted seems fair after what was done nto retriever but condemming him to an eternity starring at hilary seems-well somehow a bit left of harsh!

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samwise:
Having him mounted seems fair after what was done nto retriever but condemming him to an eternity starring at hilary seems-well somehow a bit left of harsh!

Harsh, hell that would be worse than being hung with a gold rope!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Widowmaker416:
Does this mean I can finally get that ostrich I always dreamed of! clap

You can now take a "bull" ostrich - at least a 40" inch spread and 8 point!!!!!

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hillary thing is far too lenient.

Mike, have him mounted mounting Janet Reno. A hell of a way to spend eternity!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Damn Jim, your harsh! Care to come serve on one of our WY juries?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure! Bring the guilty bastard in for his fair trial!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanzania Reopens Lion Hunting
(posted July 19, 2006)

There is good news from Tanzania today regarding that delay on lion hunting we told you about yesterday. Seems the quick and widespread news of the temporary closure and plans to reevaluate the lion quota produced such an outcry from the hunting community that the Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism has rescinded its order to put lion hunting on hold.

The decision came after the Tanzania Hunting Operators Association (TAHOA) informed ministry officials of the significant logistical problems, the financial burden and public relations nightmare the delay would impose on safari operators and their clients, who were already in the bush hunting or on their way to Tanzania. According to Abdulkadir Luta Mohamed, secretary general of TAHOA, lion hunting is to proceed this season without any further changes to the quota.

Abdulkadir also pointed out that the 10 percent overall cut in quotas we told you about last week should have little effect on most lion-hunting safaris, since most operators take only 60 to 70 percent of their overall lion quotas each season.

We'll have more on what's behind the on-again/off-again lion closure in next month's issue of The Hunting Report, which will be e-mailed late next week.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9477 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Govt bans lion hunts: Wild dogs, ostriches on list, too

(July 20, 2006)

THISDAY REPORTER
Dar es Salaam

THE government has cancelled hunting quotas for lions, ostriches and wild dogs, a move described by the Tanzania Hunting Operators Association (TAHOA) as a catastrophe for the country’s tourism industry.

The cancellation of the hunting quota for the lions was announced by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism in a letter to hunting companies dated July 17, 2006, and signed by M. Madehele on behalf of the permanent secretary in the ministry.

The letter reads: ’’We have been instructed to cancel, with immediate effect the hunting quotas for the following species. (i) Lion, (ii) Ostrich (iii) Wild dog.’’

It adds: ’’As our letter Ref. No. HD/116/519/01/95 of 28/06/2006 does not include the wild dog, only the lion and ostrich quota have relevance to this letter; that the quotas issued have henceforth been cancelled.’’

’’Further to this instruction a new quota proposal supported by data shall be submitted to the Minister for approval and issuance of the same. We request you to kindly bear with us until this process is done and concluded.’’

In another dramatic turn of events, the TAHOA Secretary General, Mr Abdulkadir Mohamed, said yesterday latest reports indicated that the government had since reversed its cancellation on hunting quotas for lions, ostriches and wild dogs.

He said the cancellation could have a very big negative impact to the country’s tourism industry, especially the hunting industry, because deals worth billions of shillings in foreign exchange could have gone sour.

’’The information that we (TAHOA) have is that the government has reversed its ban on hunting quotas for lions, wild dogs and ostriches,’’ he said when reached by phone.

When contacted for comment, the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism, Mr Saleh Pamba, declined to comment through his secretary who said her boss was ’’rushing to Dodoma where he has been summoned by the prime minister.’’

However, Mr Mohamed cautioned that the ban could have caused untold damages which could have forced some hunting firms to go bankrupt due to cancellation of reservations for tourist hunting made by wealthy tourists, chiefly from the United States.

Mr Mohamed said some of the hunting firms should have been forced to sue the government for causing business losses because the government imposed the ban in the middle of the hunting season which begins on July 1 through December 31.

’’Hunting is an expensive business which involves wealthy tourists who could have spent any amount of money to sue hunting companies for inconveniences caused, including cancellation of flights and hotel reservations,’’ he said.

Mr Mohamed added: ’’Some of the tourists are already in the country for hunting and some of them have already hunted lions so the cancellation of hunting quotas on lions could have a very big impact to the industry.’’

He said a hunting permit was secured at $750 (about 945,000/-) and a tourist was supposed to pay a total of $2,100 (about 2.6m/-) during a 21-day hunting period.

The TAHOA secretary general said foreign professional hunters paid $4,000 (about 5m/-) during the hunting season while their local counterparts paid about $2,000 (about 2.5m/-).

Lion hunting generates an income of close to $10 million (over 12bn/-) per annum in Tanzania, making an important contribution to the tourist hunting industry in Tanzania, and is one of the major magnets to tourists.

The direct contribution made by lion trophy fees to hunting revenues at first glance appears low at 9.4 per cent, being the third most important species in terms of income generation. Lions are surpassed in income generation by buffalo and leopard, which contribute 21.5 per cent and 10.4 per cent respectively.

Approximately 250 lions are taken annually by tourist hunters in all hunting blocks of Tanzania, which exist in different parts of the country.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9477 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So is it yes or no?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Posted for KATHI

Widowmaker416

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the official document.

But what about wild dogs???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
500grains

Wild Dogs are never been on License the last few Years.

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas