THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Dirk de Bod named SCI International Professional Hunter of the Year!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dirk de Bod named SCI International Professional Hunter of the Year!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted
Namibian PH, Dirk de Bod, has been named the SCI International Professional Hunter of the Year!

He will be formally presented with the award at the Wednesday night dinner in Reno during the 2008 annual SCI convention.

Those of us who have hunted with Dirk know that he truly deserves this honor. There isn't a finer PH in the business.

If you would like to congratulate Dirk, or discuss booking a hunt with him, email him through his website at www.safarisnamibia.com

NRA, GOA, & SCI Life Member
www.scilowcountry.org

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fulldraw Outdoor Media
posted Hide Post
What an honor for a PH I've always thought was one of the best of the best. He's a great guy, hunts hard and runs a flawless camp. Congratulations, Dirk!

My best kudu bull to date was taken with Dirk as the PH. (2005)

At fulldraw,
Tyge Floyd
Fulldraw Outdoor Media
"From Alaska to Zimbabwe...Have Cameras, Will Travel"

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to a fine hunter and gentleman. I have only spoken to him myself at shows, but he always seems to have time for everyone and exhibits a true interest in what he loves to do.

My friends in Namibia all speak highly of him also, and the two hunters I flew back with in May had just completed a successful leopard and PG hunt with him. They spoke endlessly of how good everything was, and what fun they had with Dirk.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Would someone please enlighten me what are the qualifications to win PH of the year from SCI?

I seem to recall at least one individual who had won this award ran away with a lot of money owed to clients.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68613 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

The cynical reply would be that he/she donate a lot of hunts to SCI for auction at their conventions and 'host' a good number of the big shots. Wink

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
George,

With no reflection on MR Dirk de Bod, who many members seem to think very highly of.

But, from my own personal view, and after talking to a number of absolutely first class PHs, who seem to be getting the wrong end of the stick from SCI just because they do not "donate" hunts to them.

I would personally avoid hunting with anyone who gets too close to the SCI "Inner Circle".

Posts: 68613 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agreed completely with Saeed,
Perhaps naming Dirk de Bod as PH of the Year is a positive indication that SCI is cleaning up their act. Hopefully, it is correct.

In contrast, I know two former recipients of the award. One was caught performing both illegal and unethical deeds, very little of which had much to do with hunting. The other recipient was very much deserving and has continued to conduct his personal and professional affairs to the highest standards for over 40 years.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Unortunately such is the state of many industry organizations. I am a technology consultant. I have seen more than a few people who are named either "CIO of the Year" or one of the "Top 25 Most Influential Consultants" amd they have spent more time "politiking" for the award than they do working their job.

While not a direct result, but when you spend a lot on advertising in a magazine members of a committee have a tendency to take your phone call.

Undertsand I know nothing of Dirk and it sounds like he is a fine PH and I hope this is as exactly as other members said...SCI trying to change thier culture.

Geez am I grumpy today or what?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10132 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Geez am I grumpy today or what?

No Mike you are not. Just being realistic.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard a lot of good reports about Dirk. I wouldn't think he falls into the bad egg category. He's one of the best in Namibia as I understand it...top 5 easy.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I would personally avoid hunting with anyone who gets too close to the SCI "Inner Circle".

I share Saeed's view; I realize that Dirk is a great guy and and obvious exception from some of the "troubled" receivers of the award in the past----that said--

I would avoid hunting companies that seem to close to the big wig SCI boys. A very good example would be the infamous "Out of Africa Adventurous Safaris---the Groenewalds" Mad horse

congrads to Dirk---what the ward should be about---a fine PH!

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
I can easily understand the suspicion regarding SCI "Awards."

However, I assure you that Dirk spent no time "politiking" with SCI potentates to earn this recognition. He is a modest, soft-spoken, self-effacing kind of guy who would never think of lobbying anyone for awards or recognition.

As I understand the process, the International PH of the Year Award is given to one PH each year who has regularly received nominations from his clients, season after season. Every year Dirk receives numerous effusive nominations from his clients.

Aside from his website, he does no advertising. Nevertheless, he stays fully booked 2 to 3 years in advance with repeat business and word of mouth referrals from past clients.

Dirk has become better known among hunters due to a number of articles Craig Boddington has written about his Namibian hunts with him. Dirk has also been featured in several of Boddington's "Tracks Across Africa" episodes, as shown earlier in this thread by Tyge Floyd. Dirk was also a contributor to the "African Hunter II" book published several years ago.

I agree it's a positive indication that SCI has chosen Dirk as PH of the Year.

Book a hunt with him and find out for yourself why he truly deserves this recognition!

www.scilowcountry.org

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Dirks booth is just across the isle from me in Reno. Every morning, he would look over and give me a big thumbs up with a huge smile. Every morning, the same thing. A very personable guy.

I am happy to see this award go to someone like him.

Congrats Dirk.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neat story Wendell and that's the kind of stuff I hear about Dirk from lots of guys.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's truly a shame that individuals given recognition for being truly worthy of an honor are tarnished by other recipients who are committing illegal, unethical acts. Sometimes this occurs after one has had an honor bestowed upon them.

I can understand why many feel that SCI is only in this and all their other programs for the money. Talk to any Safari Operator about maintaining their booth location with donated hunts.

Well, the practice of bestowing an honor upon someone undeserving is not unique to SCI or any other organization. Look a Al Gore receiving a Nobel Prize. I personally think that the PHs that SCI has recognized are truly deserving. When it turns out other wise SCI should revoke the honor and publicize it in their official journals. That would lend creditability to their selection process.

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
How about a AR PH of the year award rotflmo

No, wait that would cause the biggest post of AR yet fishing

But anyway there are a lot of good ph's out there whos names hasn't even been heard from. Award or not why dont' you award your own personal best PH by just booking with him again and again that means more than the award to him I can assure you. thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me some of the "Big Wigs" on here as in "Owner" have the same problem as the so called "Big Wigs" at SCI. I guess since Dirk is not the PH they hunt with and tout, he is subject to uncalled for remarks. I find it interesting that someone who has never hunted with Dirk and knows nothing personally about the man would be so anxious to tear him down. Doesn't say much for their own creditabilty when posting here. I don't know the man personally, have read and heard only "good reports. I'll be one who shakes the mans hand at SCI and offer up my congratulations. I don't know that I would be so quick to place the blame on SCI as it's very hard to predict what an award winner will do after the fact.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made friends with Dirk and Rina while living there. My parents came over for the birth of my daughter and my dad treated us with a 3 day hunt with Dirk. In three days we shot 2 Kudu 53" and 55.5" - Two gold medal Gemsbok - two mountain zebra - and my kids 8 and 10 shot two springbok. It was the hunt of my life. Three generation hunt. His little boy was born while we were there shortly after my daughter was born. I asked him how we felt about pre-aranged mariages! I may have to go to Reno.

Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
I thought BIG WIGS were essentially no different from the everyday peasent such as you and me (-: .... except of course when it comes to (money and social status) then I fall by the wayside, and am a regular person (peasent).

Correect me if I am wrong ... BUT cant so called BIG WIGS also sometimes be very nice personable people as well, and not the SOB's some press reports make them out to be.

I have known some (SOB peasents) as well as BIG WIGS, so I dont know if we should be tooooooo hung up on the labels being placed upon individuals

Merry Christmas and congratulations to the SCI PH of the year, and ALSO all other smaller fish PH's whom work very hard to please

Cheers, Petert

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Seems to me some of the "Big Wigs" on here as in "Owner" have the same problem as the so called "Big Wigs" at SCI. I guess since Dirk is not the PH they hunt with and tout, he is subject to uncalled for remarks. I find it interesting that someone who has never hunted with Dirk and knows nothing personally about the man would be so anxious to tear him down. Doesn't say much for their own creditabilty when posting here. I don't know the man personally, have read and heard only "good reports. I'll be one who shakes the mans hand at SCI and offer up my congratulations. I don't know that I would be so quick to place the blame on SCI as it's very hard to predict what an award winner will do after the fact.

Larry Sellers

The "Owner", despite not knowing Dirk, has nothing but respect for him, and said so in very clear terms above.

In fact, all my negative remarks are directed at the way SCI police the hunting community.

The fact of the matter is, SCI does not ALWAYS bestow awards for the reasons they should, but instead do so because of some political or financial reasons.

These are the reasons many of us, who are Life Members of SCI, would like to see them re-think.

I am sure Dirk is deserving of whatever award and recognition he gets.

But, I personally know quite a lot of PHs who have been guiding clients for so many years, and all they get from SCI is nothing but grief because they would not "donate" hunts to their auction.

These same great, honest, hard working PHs, SCI does not want to know about.

And I suspect all because of "donations"!

Whenever I hear these two words in the same sentence - SCI and donations - it reminds me of what happens when one hears - politics and lobbying.

One KNOWS with absolute certainty things are not as kosher as they seem.

One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

In fact, all my negative remarks are directed at the way SCI police the hunting community.

The fact of the matter is, SCI does not ALWAYS bestow awards for the reasons they should, but instead do so because of some political or financial reasons.

One KNOWS with absolute certainty things are not as kosher as they seem.

Well put. The distubing principle here is that SCI, supposed to be there for us and what we stand for is regarded with a subtle but increasing skepticism by many of its members.

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed - I couldn't agree more that there are literally hundreds of PH's that are deserving of awards of recognition for their outstanding work and service to us hunters. I for one am glad I don't have to pick just one out of all the qualified candidates for the SCI award mentioned.

My question is do YOU know for a fact that this award was given to Dirk because of contributions to SCI or is it just speculation and hearsay on your part? That's my beef, a lot of people are quick to judge without a hint of the actual facts as seems to be the case here.

Someone mentioned that SCI is just out for the money in the things they do. I certainly hope this is the case as it takes a whole lot of it to keep up the fight against the Anti's. I saw today where the Anti's have over a hundred million to spend against us. Without the "money" SCI would not be able to contiue the fight to make certain all of us hunters can carry on with our passions.

Have a Happy Holiday Season and hopefully we can all pull in the same direction in the New Year?

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI - I am also a Life Member of SCI.

Larry Sellers

one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
I started this topic to recognize the noteworthy achievement of a personal friend and a fine Professional Hunter.

I hoped that the post would reach some of his other friends, fellow PH's and past clients who may not be SCI Members or may not be planning to attend the 2008 SCI Convention, but who would like to send him their congratulations.

If you wish to take SCI to task, please begin a new topic to air your grievances. This topic was simply meant to recognize the achievement of a good man and fellow hunter, not stir the pot about SCI's shortcomings.

Merry Christmas!

www.scilowcountry.org

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Dirk! thumb thumb thumb

One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
[quote]I started this topic to recognize the noteworthy achievement of a personal friend and a fine Professional Hunter.

I hoped that the post would reach some of his other friends, fellow PH's and past clients who may not be SCI Members or may not be planning to attend the 2008 SCI Convention, but who would like to send him their congratulations.

If you wish to take SCI to task, please begin a new topic to air your grievances. This topic was simply meant to recognize the achievement of a good man and fellow hunter, not stir the pot about SCI's shortcomings

Mark, could not agree with you more.
Well done Dirk thumb, spoke with him last week and he was telling me his little boy was diagnosed with meningitis lucky they caught it soon enough.

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark - My thoughts exactly. Didn't mean to hijack your thread for what it was intended. But when others come on here and mention an Award winner in the same sentence with acqusitions of unfounded verbage it really ticks me off. Congrats to Dirk and like I said earlier will give him the same in person at SCI Reno. Merry Christmas everyone!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mark in SC:
I started this topic to recognize the noteworthy achievement of a personal friend and a fine Professional Hunter.

If you wish to take SCI to task, please begin a new topic to air your grievances. This topic was simply meant to recognize the achievement of a good man and fellow hunter, not stir the pot about SCI's shortcomings.

Merry Christmas!

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Good on Dirk! Now I'm even more excited about the hunt that I have booked with him in 09.

Posts: 1031 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
I'll go along with Jeff, both for major congratulations to Dirk and the hunt we've booked with him in '09!

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dirk de Bod is the best all around African PH I've ever hunted with. Our most sincere congratulations Dirk!

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com

GO HUNTING NOW WHILE YOU ARE PHYSICALLY ABLE

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote