New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crossbow to South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody recently traveled to South Africa with a crossbow? I am planning to go down in May, and was going to stick the crossbow in my suitcase and just check it in.

My understanding is that neither uncle Sam or the SA government care about crossbows, but I would not like to spend time in an south African lockup.

I am planning to leave the crossbow there.

Thanks
Paul

"A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who breathes out lies will not escape."

Proverbs 19:5

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Hey Paul,

we have discussed this before, I think you should just get a crossbow case rather than trying to disassemble it and fit it in you luggage. The fact that the stock will "look like" a rifle stock on an x-ray may cause your luggage to be examined more than you would like.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1974 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
Hey Paul,

we have discussed this before, I think you should just get a crossbow case rather than trying to disassemble it and fit it in you luggage. The fact that the stock will "look like" a rifle stock on an x-ray may cause your luggage to be examined more than you would like.

LOL, yeah, but I would like to hear folks who have done it recently.

"A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who breathes out lies will not escape."

Proverbs 19:5

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went over in November and it was no problem at all. I broke mine down in a double rifle case and it went to the SAP'S office but they waived it on once they saw it was a bow.

posted from my Droid so don't know how the print size will look.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
The wife and I traveled late September last year. We both took our crossbows. They were both broken down into a SKB double rifle case. No problems with TSA checking them in at JFK. No problem upon arrival at RSA minus the unhired help trying to handle your luggage.

We did have the same thought about about traveling with them in a hard suitcase. Unfortunately my limbs (Excalibur) would not fit. It wouldn't hurt to let the powers to be know that a crossbow is in the case. The only hassle we got was in RSA. We still had to go through firearm check-in on our return. Fortunately our PH accompanied us to the check-in so, we didn't have to deal with a hand out ($$$).

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote