New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chewore South
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone been to Chewore South this year - I am due in in October with Charlton/McCallum, wondered how things are up that way? Charlie.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting has been good for most things.. what are you after? Take decent tsetse repellant, the normal stuff tourists bring acts more like an attractant!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ganyana - was speaking of you with alan t last week- he's working on a Husqy 9.3 i picked up from him a while back. What repellant do you recommend- last time nothing seemed to work for me!? I'm after non-trophy ele and hopeful buff this time. Cheers, Charlie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best tsetse repellant? A fat american with a high colesterol count just behind you:- Every tsetse in the province knows that American Blood is just that much softer and jucier than ours Big Grin

No problem with either of those two species in Chewore- should have a good hunt!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jump jump jump jump jump

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Avon Skin-so-Soft sunblock with bug guard worked for me on the Tetse flies.

I hunted Chewore North in October 2001. Chewore in October is f__king HOT!!!!!!!!

Just make sure they have a lot of cold beer for you back in camp. Do not leave the car for any reason without taking a couple of quarts of water with you. Just "checking a track" can turn into a couple hour long stalk and you will want a drink of water within the first 10 minutes.

By the way, the hunting is great that time of year.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Chewore South in Nov and it was fine. A little hot, but we get 105 degrees F. in the summer at my house and it did not seem much hotter than that. However, it rained and the bugs hatched. There was some kind of beetle that knew how to get inside the mosquito netting of the bed. Fortunately I had brought a bug jacket which I wore to bed which was very effective at keeping the bugs from bugging me while I slept.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanx Tim and '500gr' - expecting the heat, have ordered some of the Avon stuff and a 'bug jacket'!Cheers, Charlie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cducat,

I would like to add a couple of more comments.

1. I saw a minimum of a hundred cape buff per day in C.S. even while not hunting for them.

2. Skin so Soft was Ooooh so Useless on tse flies for me. The combo that worked was (a) 100% DEET bug juice, plus (b) eating garlic pills 3x/day. Make sure to put on your bug juice out of sight of the trackers, or they will want to use some too and soon you will run out!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
I hunted Chewore South in Nov and it was fine. A little hot, but we get 105 degrees F. in the summer at my house and it did not seem much hotter than that. However, it rained and the bugs hatched. There was some kind of beetle that knew how to get inside the mosquito netting of the bed. Fortunately I had brought a bug jacket which I wore to bed which was very effective at keeping the bugs from bugging me while I slept.

Dan,

I thought you only slept on rocks when on safari. My image of you has changed for the worse now... Bug dope? A bed? Bug netting? PUH leeese wave

~Ann

Posts: 19555 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if the luxuries are available and included in the price, I use them. A decent tent keeps bugs out much better than the mosquito netting that is hung over beds.