Find
Notify
Tools

100 pounder killed on the road
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
We all dream about and talk about 100 pounders – I think that very often the elephants that we take as 60 and 70 pounders when taken adjacent to great gene pools actually still have the potential , we all know about and are fascinated by the kruger tuskers and that incredible gene pool , likewise northern mozambique and southern Tanzania ,

Heres an extract of an email I received yesterday – a roadkill in kenya - what a shame but we know he passed on those incredible genes !! who knows who is reading the internet so I have deleted exact locations though I am sure it will soon be public knowledge -

“A week ago a big elephant bull was very sadly hit by a truck on the xxx road between xxx and xxx. Even sadder is that another of xxx's 100 pounders have gone!!! See attached photos. The tusks weighed 110 and 107lbs (50 and 48.7kg). That is now the 5th 100 pounder weighed and seen this year in xxx, that I know about. At least the gene pool is still strong”

"friend me on facebook and follow the hunt"

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Wow. Now that is impressive road kill.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. Beats that armadillo that I ran over on the way to work!

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine what the truck that hit him looks like? Sad to see such a magnificent beast killed that way, but glad to see that they're still around too.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Chikara!

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what size car do you need to kill an elephant??

regular grill or winch guard?

3rd gear or 4th gear?

I don't see how a car can hit and kill an elephant, maybe the fall off the culvert did it?

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:

regular grill or winch guard?

3rd gear or 4th gear?

I don't see how a car can hit and kill an elephant, maybe the fall off the culvert did it?

troy

Slight difference between a car and a truck.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That's the biggest road kill that I've ever seen! Shame that the one dude had to stand on one of those magnificent tusks to keep his shoes clean-that's offensive to me. Is that the suspect truck that hit him in the background?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What a shame. Magnificent old bull, too.

But I can see how it might easily happen along a dark road at night.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only one place in Kenya with that red earth and gene pool, and there's a tarmac highway that passes through the "middle" so to speak........ What a shame! And that ivory is going to be burnt in the next PR campaign thumbdown

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here at home we think hitting a moose is bad!!!!!!! OUCH!!!!!!

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a real shame.

Maybe since the ivory was not poached, it can be saved and put in a museum somewhere in that country.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cloning anyone?

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Goodness m'boy, if there is one thing I have learned by lurking religiously on this site since I was a boy it is that it is all about shot placement, not caliber!

Posts: 249 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
yuck

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All right, since nobody else has dared to ask, was the car controlled or push fed? Big Grin

gorgeous ivory. I didn't realize it was so strong, that guys standing on it, I''d be afraid of breaking it. of course I probablyhave about 70lbs on him.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
All right, since nobody else has dared to ask, was the car controlled or push fed? Big GrinRed

Well, being that there's a POS Land Rover in the picture, most definitively a "push" feed! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Even if I had the money, killing an elephant has no appeal to me at all. But in my world, seeing such an animal die that way is sad. Such a magnificent animal deserved a more noble/honorable death. A great thophy that deserved better.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own 2350 acres in west central , IL. some of the best whitetail deer hunting in the world. I would not give a dime to hunt these deer , but I would love to hunt an elephant !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wbyman:
I own 2350 acres in west central , IL. some of the best whitetail deer hunting in the world. I would not give a dime to hunt these deer , but I would love to hunt an elephant !

If you found this elephant road kill and decided you wanted to eat it you wouldn't even have to cook it since it has already been grilled!

rotflmo rotflmo jumping rotflmo rotflmo

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonder was the lorry mono metal, leadcore or banded?

Posts: 74 | Location: Vaal Triangle, Rep of South Afrika | Registered: 19 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
That's a shame - he deserved better...

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
Only one place in Kenya with that red earth and gene pool, and there's a tarmac highway that passes through the "middle" so to speak........ What a shame! And that ivory is going to be burnt in the next PR campaign thumbdown

I think I know that road. A bloody shame if they burn the Ivory. It belongs in a museum.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wbyman:
I own 2350 acres in west central , IL. some of the best whitetail deer hunting in the world. I would not give a dime to hunt these deer , but I would love to hunt an elephant ![/QUOTE

I can help with your deer issues !!!
Big Grin

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very sad to see an elephant go like that. Now if Kenya would allow hunting, that Elephant would have looked good in my trophy room.

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
The location is noted on the tusk. But it could only really have been one of two places in any case.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that looks a lot like the rd from Mombasa to Nairobi. if it is it's dam easy to hit an elephant on the stretch of rd. It cuts through tsavo east and tasvo west. I have almost hit more than one elephant at night on that same stretch of rd. they are dam hard to see at night when there are walking down the middle of the rd when you come over one of the hills or around a curve shocker

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The driver was probably Somali and instinct got the better of him.