THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Status of Botswana elephant and buffalo hunting

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Status of Botswana elephant and buffalo hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted
Hey all, what’s the latest on being able to hunt Botswana for elephant? Buff? Thanks!

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
It’s been kinda quiet

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ele - open with a few permits (less than 150) for BOTS citizens only.

Buff - still closed.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

I've been checking on Bots opening and it seems a lot of work needs to be done before safari hunting as we know it reopens. I certainly will post anything I hear on the subject ASAP.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news...rcial-elephant-hunts

Elephant Hunt 2.0: Botswana Is Trying Again After Global Outcry

By Antony Sguazzin

December 11, 2019, 9:11 AM CST

Government announces permits for the killing of 272 elephants

Botswana, which has outraged conservationists by lifting a hunting ban on wildlife, is making a second attempt to restart commercial hunts for its elephant population, the biggest in the world.

The government issued a quota for the killing of 272 of the animals in 2020, of which foreign hunters will be allowed to shoot 202 elephants and export trophies. Seventy licenses will be reserved for Botswana nationals, according to government documents.

The auction for some of the licenses will take place soon, said Moeti Batshabang, deputy director of the Department of Wildlife and National Parks. The hunting season will last from April to September, spanning the dry winter when the African bush is thinner and animals are easier to find.

While the government said earlier this year it would allow the killing of 158 elephants by foreign tourists in the 2019 season, auctions for hunting licenses never took place.

President Mokgweetsi Masisi put elephants at the center of Botswana’s politics this year as he campaigned for October elections that the ruling party won. By lifting the hunting ban in May, Masisi broke ranks with his predecessor Ian Khama, who had garnered international praise for Botswana’s wildlife policies.

Botswana has about 130,000 of the animals nationwide. Farmers have complained of a growing number of incidents with elephants, which at times destroy crops and trample villagers to death. While hunting won’t meaningfully reduce the size of the elephant population, income from the sport can benefit local communities, according to the government.

Conservationists worldwide have opposed the changes, warning that tourists may go elsewhere. Tourism accounts for a fifth of Botswana’s economy.

By lifting the hunting ban, Botswana has brought itself in line with its neighbors. The number of hunting licenses are below the 400 cap it set itself, and compares with 500 licenses in Zimbabwe and 90 in Namibia.

The all-in cost of an elephant hunt typically involves several hundred dollars a day for the professional hunters who accompany the tourists, as well as accommodation and taxidermy fees. Hunts can last 10 to 18 days on average. Most trophy hunters in southern Africa come from the U.S. In Zimbabwe, the right to shoot an elephant costs at least $21,000.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9479 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got an email offering elephant buffalo and leopard from Botswana. Expensive

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Just got an email offering elephant buffalo and leopard from Botswana. Expensive

Hmmm..no quotas/areas have been allocated yet?

Posts: 1915 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote