New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russell boot options
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not suer which Russell I'm going with quite yet but I do want the advantages of a custom boot.

Has anyone added any of the following options to their Russells; poron insert (I like cushy), heel counters (helpful support for scarmbling amidst the rocks around Gras Ranch), toe caps (to protect the boots from all those rocks), upper ankle support (to prevent ankle sprains from scrambling amidst the rocks at Gras)?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I had heel counters and army studs on mine and found both excellant additions.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Toe caps will not last. They are glued on and will peel apart with hard use. You don't need them on Russell boots. The other options are worth the price. Get army studs and have them put one on the top rather than an eyelet.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do the upper ankle supports reduce the comfort of the Russell boot? My ankles are not particularly weak and I really want a comfortable boot.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
My experience with toe caps has been different from Perry's as I've got almost three years on mine and their holding strong. Having said that I do agree that they're not necessary and just add unnecessary weight.

Don't know about heel counters but I'd be careful and not make the boot too stiff. I've got a pair with the Turtle Skin and they are definitely not "stalking" boots. Took almost a year to break 'em in too.

The poron might be nice if you're used to soft shoes and need lots of cushion. Do you wear cowboy boots or leather-soled dress shoes? If so, skip the poron, you won't need it. You also won't feel the ground as well with the poron.

If you're concerned about support have them double vamped but leave the canvas uppers so your feet can breathe.

If it were me I'd pick the Mountain PHs and maybe, just maybe, add two inches to the height. They also have a new model that is only on their website that was demoed by Paul Stones (not sure what it's called) that might be my next pair.

Good luck!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I have the all leather Mountain PH and I added two inches to the height and I had the softer Air-Bob Vibram sole put on them. A great pair of boots that work for tracking and scrambling in Africa.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of russell's that are 8" from the top of the sole to the top of the boot, have 4 studs(like the old jump boots) at the top, although I only lace to and use the bottom stud; heel counters and some sort of extra reinforcement( I tend to walk on the outside of my right foot for some reason) and I wear mine everyday here on St. Thomas, where you are either going uphill or downhill. I really like these boots; my feet feel fine at end of day and I have no back or leg issues. looking forward to hunting with these-well worth the money.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive used the Joes Special PH model for the last three years and they are my favorite boot for SA conditions. They stick like Spiderman to rocks and have the bridge that keeps your foot from cramping in sand. I love 'em!

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of 12" birdshooters and 8" double moccasin.

Both with the gumlite sole. I like that sole because I use these boots for bird hunting, and don't want to pick up a bunch of mud.

I'd go with heel counters, army studs and pull straps.

-nosualc

Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike

Posts: 124 | Location: land of sky blue waters | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
Mountain PH Air bob sole +Poron - I love them!

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
For me Russwll Boots were a total waste of money.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
larrys01: Me too! I wouldn't buy another pair from them after my experience with the Thula Thulas and Russel Boots' total lack of response to my concerns after my order was finally filled and received.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add me to the never again group. They sent me off the shelf boots in response to my custom order. They finally accepted the "Error" and made boots for my narrow low volume feet.

Interestingly they tried the same scam or "error" on my brother's order of custom boots. I wonder if they send out standard sizes as a matter of practice. Cheaper than custom, and hunters are generally not the sharpest tools in the shed.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My "custom" Thula Thulas were marked 9 1/2. I wear a size 10 and the boots were still 1 to 1 1/2" too long in the toe. And, this was after they custom fit me at the last SCI Convention and took my credit card information. On top of that, they were to be delivered by mid-May, and when they didn't arrive I called them. They hadn't even Que'd them up until I called. Then they "rushed" the order that ended up not fitting right. When I tried to contact them regarding my concerns there were no return responses to either my telephone calls or to my e-mails. Some great customer service!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, after around 15 years and about 7 or 8 pairs of Russells, I gotta say, their quality and customer service has really went down and that's not just my opinion. My last order was sent back twice, yeah, three pairs of boots total. Not for minor corrections but completely wrong order or nowhere in the same ball park fit. I've been a loyal customer, get fitted every couple of years and have even driven out of my way to visit the shop. There are so many things wrong with that outfit that I couldn't even begin to start. This isn't me just taking the time to rant; as stated above, I've been a loyal customer, even sold boots for them to others I've met but they have some serious problems that need to be addressed as seen here and in other posts and forums. Some advice- take proper measurements; call and ask questions, the catalog isn't very up to date; and after the past few episodes, expect to have to send your boots back at least once. Timing is hit or miss. If you order in the Spring or at a big show, you're going to be mixed in with the masses. Like most things custom, they take time and things happen. Last, good luck and if you get a pair you like, enjoy them!

Posts: 40 | Location: Back in the USAAAA!!!!! | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the poron insert and heel counters on mine and I was glad I added those options.

Posts: 115 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of Joe's PH a couple of years ago and after wearing them on a few hikes around home, decided not to even bring them to Africa on the last trip. Took a pair of New Balance Gortex light hikers instead. The Russells' were a pain to put on and take off and the New Balance's were a joy, comfortable, light and rugged, with quiet soles to boot. As I write this, I can't even remember where I put the Russell's. What a waste. I could have bought another pair of Lowa Sheephunters instead...

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow ... sorry to hear that service has declined. My first pair of bird hunters lasted 35 years. Was sick when they could no longer be resoled.

The current pair of PHs has been to Africa three times and on a number of other trips over the last 6 years ... great boots.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I only have on experience with Russells. I ordered a pair of Russell Imperials in 2003. I paid extra for the rush service as I needed them for a hunt. I had several family members measure my feet as I wanted the fit to be perfect the first time.

The boots arrived in time, but there were a few problems:

1) Too big. When laced-up the eyelets almost met in the middle.

2) Too heavy. Triple vamp and airbob sole were to blame.

3) Shoddy workmanship. The boots look lopsided and the "lopsidedness" of each boot does not match the other. I know that they are made by hand so maybe this is normal? Maybe some of you can comment on this.

4) Sole separation. After wearing to work one day the soles began to come off.(Word is that it was a bad batch of glue and has since been corrected)

So how did Russell handle this you ask? I have not given them the chance. This was by far the most expensive footwear I have ever purchased. When I get stung for nearly $400 it leaves a lingering taste in my mouth, and the truth is I have not been able to face my folly.

I did get remeasured at SCI in 2005 and I think I will write a letter and ship the boots back tomorrow. I hope that they will chuck my pair and start from scratch. I am going to give them the option of replacing them with one of their cheaper models. I would be happy to get anything usable of them at this point. Just thinking of the money I have sitting in an unusable pair of boots makes me sick.

I am hoping that they will be so ashamed when they see the boots that they sent me that they will replace them with a real nice pair. As 6 years have passed they may tell me to take a flying leap and I really would not be too shocked if they do.

Either way I will report back when I hear form them.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
My Russell's are the best boots I've ever worn. The only complaint is that they are not as water resistant as Russell claims. Crossing streams, yes; all day in slush, no.
On my grand slams I had them add an elephant toe cap, which has done a lot to protect them from sharp rocks.
I also had them make me full leather Kalahari trackers. Extremely comfortable and great for stalking.

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My choice is to leave them on the shelf.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote