Find
Notify
Tools

Can I take 3 rifles on SAA to Zim?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thanks to those who know.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I can say is they told me no a year ago. So, the wife took two in one case and I took two in one case. Therefore, they had to carry more pounds of guns, cases and ammo then they needed to, but it was their choice, so we let'em. Stupid rules sometimes cost the maker of the rules money and work.
I could have taken three, but at extra fees.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
500, get on the phone and call SAA and findout. Further call all the airlines you're going to use and ask. Further ask them to send you their written rules without which you're dead meat if some rookie know-it-all employee decides it's not the right thing to do.

I was told that I could have two rifles and one shotgun (if you can believe this) in a case.

The rules seem to change and I'd be leery of internet information on this.

Do you know that the country you're going to will allow you to bring three guns?

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Very good question.

I was planning to take two double rifles plus a shotgun barrel with me.

I wonder if the shotgun barrel is classed as a third firearm?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No you can not take 3 in one rifle case with your name on the ID tag. Though I do believe you could take a second case with a rifle in it. Bear in mind the import regs of your final destination as well.
My brother and his father inlaw had 3 rifles in his case at IAD. He had to pull one and add it to his father inlaw's case at checkin. This took place in late June 2006.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You may take up to 3 hunting weapons into RSA provided they are all different calibers (and provided you have a good story on your "to whom it may concern" letter). This only applies if you are entering RSA, ie clearing customs. If you are connecting thru, then you are subject only to the rules of the airline and the destination country.

RSA considers the barrels to be a firearm, so a takedown with two sets of bbls counts as two guns. If both sets of bbls have the same SN you may be able to finagle it but again, you may not since they (by regs) have to be different calibers. You could probably get a two bbl set, same caliber, thru if you applied in advance.

As far as the airlines are concerned, get it in writing from United (or whoever the feeder is) and SAA, as recommended. Why they are in the business of limiting how many and what type I have no idea. Seems you should be able to take as many as you like, provided you pay the extra freight. It is fairly complicated inasmuch as they do prescribe an overall limitation as well as a limitation by type.

As far as Zim entry, I am not sure how many is max. Ask your PH, he should know.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In theory ,no limmit on firearms into zim. In practice more than 5 and you need to get the PH to sort the temp import in advance. The same applys to any semi Auto rifle that looks military (Semi Auto shotguns are no problem, but we are implimenting the sadac protocal which bans semi auto's based on military rifles that have once been issued in the region, or are converted ex full auto rifles. In theory an AR15 is fine- never issed regionally but I wouls still get the permit issued in advance- it looks military!) Garands, Mini 14's with 5 rnd mags etc that look like civi rifles are no problem.

Have had clients bring in five firearms. Two in a gun box, and three in their tuff pack case (2 rifles and a handgun) along with the rest of their kit stuffed in the tuff pack. Came in on SAA.

Also had another lad break his two doubles down and pack them in a hard, lockable suitcase (along with cloths and throw a couple of rifles in a regular gun box.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
500 Grains.
I just took three with me on SAA to Zim in June. The guys at customs in Bulawayo didn't say a word, none of the SAA folks along the way said a word. I had done the research and didn't think there would be an issue, and there wasn't. The only issue I had was getting my Tuffpak near the new 50 pound limit with three guns and a box of ammo included for each. In the end, I was a bit over, but they let it slide going both ways. I took a .458 Lott, a .375 H&H and a 30-06.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a slightly different question... if you take two rifles, why do they have to be different cartidges/calibers?

Posts: 817 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are scared of coups and they are trying to eradicate guns. So in their mind a person coming in with 3 guns, all the same caliber, is up to no good.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ, technically no, but if you arrive with three rifles in .223, 7.62x39 or .308/7.62 NATO they are going to ask alot of questions. Three rifles over 9.2mm - no problem. If you ever have one, email me with complete details and I will take it up with the Controller of Firearms and Director of Customs. I sit on the Joint firearms forum as the Hunting representitive.

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote