Find
Notify
Tools

Which semi-custom gun for Africa?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Question:
If you were going to build a semi-custom gun for use in Africa, which maker would you chose and why?
thanks

Choices:
Dakota
Hill Country Firearms
Empire
Waffenfabrik Hein Firearms
Biesen Custom Guns

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I'd choose Roger Biesen.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Been there; done that; have multiple rifles to prove it. Big Grin

American Hunting Rifles, Inc.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like them all.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vinny:
If you were going to build a semi-custom gun for use in Africa, which maker would you chose and why?
thanks

I would take the Express rilfe from Heym.

http://www.heym-waffenfabrik.de/english/indexeng.html

Why?
Big Magnum system completely made from best steel, with long extractor, 3 position safety, great trigger, express sights, very accurate even under bad conditions because of the special bedding.
high magazine capacity, nice bluing aginst reflections...
smooth action.

One of Us
Picture of CBNHNTR
posted Hide Post
I had the folks at Waffenfabrik Hein build my last rifle and they will build my next one.

Great value for the money and a tack driver as well.

regards,

Mario

Posts: 162 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming I was having a bolt gun built, Like T Carr, Roger Biesen

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Hein starts with a better action than the others.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
Hein starts with a better action than the others.

Which action does Hein start with as opposed to Empire?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
They build their own actions. Next up is a mag-mauser.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the Lon Paul guns.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just curious why they are classed semi-custom rather than custom? It sounds to me like you are talking custom rifle. Semi custom I would consider taking a stock win70 and putting a mcmillan stock on it, changing the sights, minimal work.

I don't have any of theirs, and don't know the costs on each offhand, but I'll say that it looks pretty hard to beat the pricing of the Biesen rifles.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Of that group which would you class as custom and which as semi custom?

Posts: 18 | Location: Upper US | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
I'm just curious why they are classed semi-custom rather than custom?

Not sure who coined the term "semi-custom", but it refers to large scale shops that have many options like Dakota, HS-Precision, Empire, Jarrett, Cooper, Shiloh-Sharps, Ed Brown.

You can have a lot of options put onto these rifles, but no matter what they will still be a the Dakota M76 with the same pattern stock, same barrel contour, it will still be a Dakota.

A custom rifle is the act of taking a rifle and making it suit your individual needs.

If I bought a M76 action, put a McMillan or Basner stock on it and barreled it with a fluted Hart barrel of my contour and my caliber choice, then dipped it in Titanium nitrate, and then added MY custom touches it is a custom rifle.

"Custom rifle" has nothing to do with $$$$$, but everything to do with being purpose built for one persons ideal type.

Semi-custom rifles are built in a small scale factory. Remington and Winchester Custom shop rifles are by definition semi-custom. No matter what the Custom shop does they will still be a Winchester or Remington rifle at the end of the day.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biesen will build your rifle on almost any action you supply him.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, you guys that voted for Waffenfabrick Hein Arms - what is your take on them?

Dakota - we know about them due to frequent comments on AR

Biesen - lots of history on him as a stock maker and great technician

Hill Country - uses an action you send

Empire - uses a Mauser action, some controvery on price for value

All are great, but Waffen is a bit new to me.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in .450 DAKOTA caliber, McMillan stock etc.
I thought I'd sell it, even though I have not even shot it yet and put the money into a 470 or 500 DR.
I can't do it, it's just to GOOD!!!!!!!!
Four round magazine, [plus one in chamber].
Unless you want a take down rifle, this is your baby.
Get the round top action, their least costly, and put the extra money into a www.talbot.us scope mounting system, check www.answerrifles.com they are huge enthusiasts of this system. Ask retreever about them he has a rifle with this mounting system and feels it's #1

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
The Belgian maker :

DUMOULIN

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote