New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is The .375 H&H Still King?
 Login/Join

<Chigger>
posted
Who of you out there believe that the .375H&H will soon remain the King of big game hunting in Afirca and Why?

[ 12-27-2002, 01:23: Message edited by: Chigger ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do and the reason why is simply the number of rifles chambered for it. Seems like all the people I know that are either clients or PH's have one. It's been around since 1912 and it ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JoeR>
posted
Still King and forever more as the total number of African animals taken with it will never be surpassed.

<Husky>
posted
Gentlemen,
In what aspect should the .375 H&H be the King?Isn't Elvis THE KING? (Atleast in the USA...?) [Big Grin]

The king for the modern sports hunter? Most probably!

The king of the old days? Not very much!

The .404 Jeffery was probably the king of hunting the big five..

The 9,3x62 was the farmers "king" -or work horse...

/Husky

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I think it will remain the king for a long time to come. It has manageable recoil, adequate power, and great versatitlity. I recently hunted in South Africa and Tanzania with mine (my .416 is being re-built), using it to take a Blesbok at 270 meters (about 300 yards) and a Cape Buffalo. Both only required one shot, although I did put a finisher in the Buff. Not many cartridges can do this with one load. While I prefer a bit more horsepower for the biger stuff, I will never be without a couple of .375s.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
It is just too versatille not to remain King especially when reloading.

210 grain BarnesX 3000 fps right up to
380 grain Rhino's at 2150 fps.

What other all rounder would be able to do it ? That is easy available all over the world.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Yes from me as well.

Most versatile cartridge there is. The only cartridge that can fulfill the one gun one world hunting concept. IMHO.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I think it is.

The .375 H&H combines better shootability for its power than any other cartridge, it feeds well, and ammunition for it is widely-available. Its reputation speaks for itself. If I were limited to one rifle for all big game hunting purposes, that rifle would be chambered in .375 H&H.

AD

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
From coyote to Elephant, it will work! And you can find ammo anyplace hunting is allowed! It's trejectery is as flat, with a 300 gr bullet, is as a a 30-06 with a 180, it's penetration with a 300 gr solid is as good, or better than much more powerful chamberings. It's able to handle different weight bullets without appreciably changeing point of empact on the target @ up to 200 yds, and is well within the realm of viable 400 yd rifles. Recoil is very manageable by even the smallest hunter, and the weight can be kept down to an easy carry! What, pray tell, could one ask for more? [Cool]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The undefeated champion. If you can shoot a 30-06 without flinching, than you can shoot a 375H&H without flinching. You can take any trophy in Africa with it. You can find ammo anywhere in Africa for it. It's like Am ex card, don't leave home without it.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
<richard10x>
posted
The 375 H&H is the "Small Block Chevy" of the medium bore high powered rifle calibers, there may be more power available elsewhere, but its the best way to get adequate power at a reasonable cost.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am only 11 rounds into my .375 H&H but already I can see what all the fuss is about. It can be shot from any position just like a 30/06 and has awsome power. If I hunt Africa this will be my plains game rig !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC is right.

It's amazing how much wet dirt goes flying when you whack the birm with a 375. I would love to go dig around and find the bullets...

Dr S

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion the 375 H&H packs more practicality, pizzaz, tradition and desirability into one package than does any other calibre.

In many ways it is similar to the 270 in that both are at the bottom of the recoil ladder of the caliber ranges they occupy.

They both work on two counts. If you have a lot of shooting do, then in their respective areas, bigger will stop you because of recoil. On the othe hand, if you only shoot a few animals, then the law of averages will prevent the 300 mags or the 416s really showing any gain.

About the only argument you could mount against the 270 and 375 duo would be the 300 H&H and 375 H&H but even then the pair of H&Hs would be "matching" driven and the reality would be that the 270 and 375 would be the better pairing.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Socs, you would be digging for a while [Big Grin] eben those light 235 gr speers seem to penetrate well from initial tests on grassy's.

Mike has also made a good sum up of the .375 just very practical with not a lot of fuss.

Also I would have to add as far as a good looking cartridge goes the .375 round looks sexy.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've now owned one for just over 3 years and use it for all my bush hunting. Not lost an animal with it and the furthest they have run is 50 yards, most drop in their tracks.

Easy to load for, easy to shoot. King of the medium bore hill, in my book. Big bore crown goes to the 416 Rigby, for what its worth.

Big Dog's sister, the 300H&H, (Big Sheila) will be ready next month. Can't wait for her to arrive. They will be a matched pair. Maybe if I get them to mate I'll get a 275 H&H???

Cheers

Pete

Lotta plusses in those H&H cartridges, they are going to be around a long time yet.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote