THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Shtogun to South Africa--I have a question

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shtogun to South Africa--I have a question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gentlemen:
I have a possible problem that I'm sure the educated among us about firearms into South Africa can help me with.

I will be in SA to hunt buffalo the first week of August and will bring my trusted .600. I plan to vacation in Zimbabwe for 10 days either before or after the hunt.

The problem is this: in Zim I plan to buy an old English shotgun by Lancaster. It is pre-1899 so I don't need any BATF forms or permits to get it back into the US. I checked with customs and it is fine with them. If I go to SA first and then depart Zim for the US I can do this.

However, if my plans take me to Zim first what is the process for me to take the shotgun with me to SA for my hunt and then depart for home? I won't have a 4457 form so am unsure what to do.

Any of you gents have an idea? I appreciate your assistance.
Cheers and a good new year to you all.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal

I think I recall that they allowed the original sales receipt as proof of ownership of the firearms when this all got complicated a while back. However the SAP site is not as clear as that:
"A certified copy of a licence, permit, authorization or any other documentary proof confirming the lawful possession of the firearm."

I'd say visiting Zim last and departing directly to the US, without staying in South Africa again, would clearly be the most efficient choice if possible.

Les

SAP FORMS

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
It seems that you will not have any problems leaving Zimbabwe with your shotgun to travel to the USA.

I have little doubt that if you go to Zimbabwe first your shotgun will fit into this category - quote taken directkly from SAPS website: " Firearms entering South Africa for a period not exceeding six (6) months for the purpose of hunting, sport, self-defence, repair, law enforcement or exhibition and then taken to another country other than the country of origin wherefor an temporary import permit and additional export permit may be issued. Do yourself a favour and carefully read the SAPS webpage referenced here. SAPS Firearms import/export page

Enjoy your hunt and stay!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote