New
Find
Notify
Tools

CITIES Leopard Mozambique
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have applied for my CITIES permit in July 2009 for a leopard I took in Mozambique. As of this date I have not recieved the permit. Despite e-mails and leaving phone messages no one has returned the calls to give any information. Any ideas out there how to proceed.

Posts: 71 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Technically speaking, you should have obtained the permit before you shot the Leopard and your outfitter and/or agent should have told you that when you booked.

It could be that the issuing authority (USF&WS) are now waiting to see what happens at the coming CITES convention before they issue the licence because you're application is so close to the 2010 convention date.

However, assuming they do issue the import permit, you'll have to resign yourself a some delay because the export licence can't be issued until they see the import licence or promise of issue of import licence. If you had obtained the licence before the hunt, you could have given a copy of it to the outfitter and he could then have used that to get the export licence for you which would of course saved you a considerable time delay.

This link and the links at the bottom of that page may be of help:

http://www.shakariconnection.c...frican-trophies.html

This might also help:

Check the second page of the left hand column here: http://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/salaet.pdf

Where it says:

How long will it take to get an import permit?

Apply for a permit at least 60 days before your departure date.

And also the centre column where it says:

What steps should I take?

1. Obtain an import permit from this office (except for elephants hunted in Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, and Zimbabwe). You may want to take a copy of your permit when you leave on safari as some outfitters require a client to show that an import permit has been issued before scheduling the hunt. Leave the original permit at home as you will need to present it at the time the trophy is imported into the United States.

Note also centre column item 3 which says:

A copy of the import permit, if Appenix-I trophies, will need to be provided by the person who applies for the export permit.

You also need to bear in mind that the USF$WS are always bloody awkward with any trophies originating from Mozambique because of an incident that happened just prior to the ivory ban coming in. They seem to have a longer memory than ex wives! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Uni,

I was (am) in the same boat with my Moz leopard taken in June. My friend, I know just how gut wrenching it is to see your trophy held at the mercy of a bureaucracy.

The first thing you need to do is pay no attention to old men who nod wisely and speak foolishly.

Next, you should have received a letter from the USF&W shortly after you sent in your application . It starts with "thank you for submitting an application (Form 3-200)....". On that letter, your application will be assigned a PRT number.

Next, contact-

Shauntá Nichols
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
International Affairs
Division of Management Authority
Tel: (703) 358-2374
shaunta_nichols@fws.gov

She should be able to tell you where your application stands.

That I am afraid is the start of the process. Lots more moving parts need to mesh for you to win your hard earned trophy. PM me if you need any more details.

Good luck, I really hope this one works out for you.

By the way, who did you hunt with, and what area?

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack D Bold:
Uni,

I was (am) in the same boat with my Moz leopard taken in June. My friend, I know just how gut wrenching it is to see your trophy held at the mercy of a bureaucracy.

The first thing you need to do is pay no attention to old men who nod wisely and speak foolishly.

Jack,

I assume that comment is aimed at me because of the previous debate we had on the subject..... however, the fact that the USF&WS website says you should get your permit in advance (see my previous post with wording taken directly from the USF&WS website) combined with the other proof I posted at the time we had the previous debate, and the fact that you didn't apply beforehand, and are still waiting six months down the line whilst your salted skin sits (probably moulders) in Mozambique, indicates that this old man isn't speaking quite so foolishly after all.

Sure, by not applying in advance, you saved yourself a few dollars, but by not doing so, it might cost you your trophy, because (unforunately) there's no denying the climate in Mozambique and the long delay sure as hell won't be doing the salted skin any favours.

Had you applied beforhand, you'd have been aware of the problem and could then have decided on a course of action beforehand at least, and at most, maybe had your trophy shipped in timely manner.

I don't say that with any satisfaction at all. I'm very sorry to hear you're still having problems but there's no getting away from the fact you should have applied beforehand and the delay in shipping is largely of your own making because you didn't do your research beforehand.

I do however, wish you both the best of luck in getting your permits sorted out asap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Technically speaking, you should have obtained the permit before you shot the Leopard and your outfitter and/or agent should have told you that when you booked.

It could be that the issuing authority (USF&WS) are now waiting to see what happens at the coming CITES convention before they issue the licence because you're application is so close to the 2010 convention date.

However, assuming they do issue the import permit, you'll have to resign yourself a some delay because the export licence can't be issued until they see the import licence or promise of issue of import licence. If you had obtained the licence before the hunt, you could have given a copy of it to the outfitter and he could then have used that to get the export licence for you which would of course saved you a considerable time delay.

This link and the links at the bottom of that page may be of help:

http://www.shakariconnection.c...frican-trophies.html

This might also help:

Check the second page of the left hand column here: http://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/salaet.pdf

Where it says:

How long will it take to get an import permit?

Apply for a permit at least 60 days before your departure date.

And also the centre column where it says:

What steps should I take?

1. Obtain an import permit from this office (except for elephants hunted in Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, and Zimbabwe). You may want to take a copy of your permit when you leave on safari as some outfitters require a client to show that an import permit has been issued before scheduling the hunt. Leave the original permit at home as you will need to present it at the time the trophy is imported into the United States.

Note also centre column item 3 which says:

A copy of the import permit, if Appenix-I trophies, will need to be provided by the person who applies for the export permit.

You also need to bear in mind that the USF$WS are always bloody awkward with any trophies originating from Mozambique because of an incident that happened just prior to the ivory ban coming in. They seem to have a longer memory than ex wives! rotflmo

Thx for the info. As usual there is such a wealth of information and knowledge on this Forum. If you do not mind telling us all who do not know what "incident" you are speaking of would be interesting. I hope to hunt elephant in Mozambique but not until the import ban is lifted. Am I going to be a much much older person than I am now waiting for the ban to be raised?

Posts: 71 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
To cut a long story short, just before or as (can't remember which) the ivory ban, the country applied to move a VERY large consignment of ivory thay claimed to have in stock. When it was inspected, it was found to have originated from a different African country (I'd prefer not to say where on a public forum) and presumed to have been smuggled across the border. Permission was denied and USF&WS have since then been very bloody minded about Moz trophies.

The official line from USF&WS is that they don't consider Moz has a properly organised Elephant management plan in place and so, despite the country being given a CITES quota, they won't recognise it and won't issue import licences......Frankly, (IMO) Moz has more of an Elephant management programme than some other African countries do that are allowed to import into the USA.

As I see it, it's just a case of sour grapes from the anti hunting element within USF&WS and I'm always astounded that they get away with their behaviour. The US after all, is the land of the free and it's citizens should have the right to not be dominated by these bullies.

'Fraid I can't comment about how long it'll be before the policy changes as I'm not sure anyone is qualified to comment on that, least of all me. - But if I were you, I wouldn't try to hold breath until it happens. Wink

Moz has made great efforts to improve it's hunting and liciencing issues etc over recent years and I tend to feel that should be acknowledged considerably more than it has been.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack D Bold:
Uni,

Next, you should have received a letter from the USF&W shortly after you sent in your application . It starts with "thank you for submitting an application (Form 3-200)....". On that letter, your application will be assigned a PRT number.

Next, contact-

Shauntá Nichols
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
International Affairs
Division of Management Authority
Tel: (703) 358-2374
shaunta_nichols@fws.gov

She should be able to tell you where your application stands.

That I am afraid is the start of the process. Lots more moving parts need to mesh for you to win your hard earned trophy. PM me if you need any more details.

Good luck, I really hope this one works out for you.

By the way, who did you hunt with, and what area?

Jack,
Great info here. I appreciate the help.I will contact Shaunta post haste. I do have the PRT number assigned for my application. The worst of all this is the wife is asking where the leopard is as she has a spot picked out for it to be in the living room. The only one allowed....thus far. All others in the trophy room. I am lucky indeed to be running out of room. Need to expand
I hunted with Kambako Safaris July 2008 Block B of the Niassa Reserve. I had a grand time and was very succesful with buffalo, leopard, sable,hyena, bush pig, eland , kudu, red duiker, Boehme Zebra.... Big and Wild spaces like here in Alaska.