Find
Notify
Tools

Re: I'm now less fond of Accubond !
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
I'm not fond of them either. I had a father and son bring them on a pig hunt recently. One we recovered from the son's pig, a 180 grainer out of a .300 WSM, was nothing but a shiny piece of jacket. I doubt it weighed 20%.
The father was using a 140 grain in a 7mm WSM and it didn't perform much better.

Other than maybe American antelope or small deer I wouldn't use them. There are too many other good choices out there.

Kyler

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
Your experience seems to mirror those of my freind, who have shot 3 swedish moose with .308 200gr Accubonds.

We have also shot the Accubonds in to wet news print, and it also shows the same behavior as you describe.

He has now stoped using the Accubonds, there are better bullets out there for truly large game.

Br//

Posts: 68 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have had great success with Nosler Partitions and Swift A-frames in Africa.

Have used the Swift A-frames with many cartridges ranging from the 280 Remington to the 378 Wby to the 460 Wby -- always using the heaviest weight for the caliber.

Have only recovered two Swifts. A 500 grain fired from a 460 Wby into an eland traveled lengthwise from the chest to the hip and the recovered bullet would have been suitable for an advertisement. The other was a 300 grain fired from a 375 H&H into a gemsbok. That bullet was a classic side shot and penetrated both lungs and stopped in the soft skin on the off-side. A second 300 grainer fired into the same gemsbok did completely penetrate.

All other Swift A-frames completely penetrated and left impressive wound channels and exit holes.

One PH commented that the Swifts were too tough for leopard. I have no personal experience with Swifts on leopard.

Have used Nosler Partitions with rifles ranging from the 243 Winchester to the 375 H&H. Don't remember ever recovering a Nosler Partition.

My brother shot a kudu with an 7x57 from a 1895 Chilean Mauser using 175-grain Nosler Partitions. The 200-yard shot resulted in the kudu falling immediately without even a kick.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Accubonds on my African hunt and couldn't say there was any problem with these bullets. I shot a black wildbeast with my 308 handgun shooting the 180 grainers at 230 yards and the bullet went through the animal. Also used it on a springbuck with the same setup and had the same results. I know, a springbuck isn't much of as bullet test, but the accubonds are EXTREMELY accurate out of my handgun. Dead is dead.

Posts: 448 | Location: High Ridge MO USA | Registered: 16 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say they worked perfectly for their design but are not the weight and design of choice for game over 500 pounds.

Posts: 1525 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As I see it, the AccuBonds worked as designed/advertised. You, like me, don't like bullets shedding that much of their original weight.

I prefer Swift A-Frames for African hunting due to the superior weight retention (like 95%+).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got back from Zim last week. I used 260 grain Federal Premium Accubonds in 375 H&H on Eland, Warthog,Impala and Baboons. I used them in South Africa on a gemsbok. I was impressed.

I have pictures of the eland where the bullet was just under the skin on the off side. We cut out the bullet and it had expanded quite well. I put the bullet in my pocket to weigh it when I got home. Of course I can't find it. The Impala dropped in its tracks. One round through the neck. The exit wound was huge. The damage to the warthog was very impressive as the heart was jelly and the bullet had exited. We didn't recover any other bullets.

Hence, I was quite satisfied and they are very accurate. Just my .02.

Regards, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
H.T.,

I believe your experience is typical of those using Accubonds to date. What I find fasinating is that the Partitions end up with about the same weight retention. 60-70% is fairly tyical of the few bullets I have recovered.

I will still shoot Accubonds on my next plains game hunt in my 7x57 with 160 grainers. I believe the heavier bullet (for caliber) at lower velocity may improve the overall weight retention of the Accubond. Though, I am open to suggestions.

BigBullet

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote