Find
Notify
Tools

2nd post- 1st safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Karamojo Bill
posted
Hello all, After reading everthing I could find to read on "the Dark Continent" between 12-15 yrs. old, I will finally get to take my first 10 day safari in South Africa in Aug of 2009 at 52 years old.

"Shakari" told me maybe I should move my post here.

I'll be hunting with Steyn Caracal Safaris for baboon, jackal, impalla, blesbok, gemsbok, kudu & lion. I am going with a large group for a friend's wedding there too, (this will be his third safari). My wife will accompany me as my videographer. They threw in her stay when I added the lion.

The rifles I plan to take are my SS/synthetic Kimber .22-250 topped with a 3-12X50mm illuminated retical for the jackal & baboons.

My Remington 700 in .338WM with a Douglas Supreme barrel topped with a 3-9x40mm. (This is a.5 MOA gun.)

Finally, I won a CZ safari in .416 Rigby at the SCI banquet. It is topped with a Leupold 1.75-6.

I'm already planning to go back and take my 20 & 23 year old sons who will take plains game while I take a dugaboy, eland, hippo, & maybe blue & black gnu.

Any do's & don'ts or must do....PLEASE let me know...Right now I think about this more than I thought about girls when I was 17!!!

Karamojo Bill

At then end of my time here, I want to come skidding through the Pearly Gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, that was a hell of a ride!"

Posts: 118 | Location: Margaritaville, Oregon | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DO buy trip insurance and I also strongly suggest MedJet Assist emergency medical evacuation plan for everyone. If a pre-trip emergency occurs, you can get a refund on many of your expenses with a good trip insurance policy. Contact your travel agent or go online.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Are you hunting lion or lioness?

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
K .Bill,

Welcome to AR and more importantly welcome to the Africa bug wait till you return you will be planning your next safari...
Sending you a pm...

Mike thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
You might want to think about leaving the 22-250 @ home, I think you'll really be pushing the weight evenlope taking all three, unless of course paying excess baggage is not an issue, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dom; with RSA customs agents sometimes the simpler things are the better. And, if that 338 is that accurate, just use a stiff bullet that wont blow up on the little stuff.

Oh, yeah, after this safari plan to be broke for the rest of your days. The next safari WILL be more important than girls were @ 17 years old. Besides, I've never been nagged while on safari!!!!

Piga Mzuri (shoot well) and have fun!!! BN

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the 22-250 legal to hunt with in South Africa???

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see no problem taking the third rifle. As your wife is accompanying you, you will have plenty of baggage allowance. While I might suggest something a little heavier than a .22-250, if that is what turns you on, then go for it. Part of the expereince, IMHO, is hunting with the rifles that have meaning for you, and will have even more meaning after the trip.

Good Luck,

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karamojo Bill
posted Hide Post
Several people have suggested that I use a heavier caliber than the .22-250 on the baboons & jackals. But as llamapacker stated about hunting with rifles that mean something to you...This Kimber was given to me by my big brother, (it was his baby, named "Kimberly"), specificly for this hunt. If it's legal, then "Kimberly" is going with me. I will handload some hot rounds for her with as heavy, well constructed bullets as I can find.

Karamojo Bill

At then end of my time here, I want to come skidding through the Pearly Gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, that was a hell of a ride!"

Posts: 118 | Location: Margaritaville, Oregon | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
wave HY! Welcome here Caramojo Bill!

I see you made the trip from NE over here! You will get a lot of experience here, on African hunting, and forearms!

I'm DUGABOY1 over at NE, MacD37 here! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karamojo Bill
posted Hide Post
I received an e-mail from Steyn-Caracal about my .22-250 being legal & enough gun for baboons & jackals. Their reply was YES on both counts.

Karamojo Bill