THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Is it even legal to threaten to kill a person ?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it even legal to threaten to kill a person ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Please forgive me if I have missed this somewhere in all the threads and comments ... but with these wingnuts threatening to kill Mr. Palmer ... how is that legal ???

Shouldn't they be charged with making 'death threats' or ????

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Its a felony here in Georgia.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The person that is receiving the threats just needs to identify said person and file a formal ex parte restraining order to that persons county court house and start a paper trail

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I bet nothing is going to be done about it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem with the "restraining order"approach is that they already did it, so it does not matter if they are restrained from doing it again. Second, with social media it's impossible to find out who they are. Third, you spend your own money. Saeed is right.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
It probably depends on how credible the threats are. You've probably said "I'll kill you" to your spouse, kids or friends in a moment of anger with no real intention of carrying through with it. Would that be considered illegal?

The sadistic ramblings of a deranged lunatic on a forum board probably wouldn't be considered a credible threat. If the threats were taken to the next level, such as personally confronting or harassing Dr. Palmer, that's a different matter.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
The person that is receiving the threats just needs to identify said person and file a formal ex parte restraining order to that persons county court house and start a paper trail

It might be entertaining if Dr. Palmer had a VPO served on Piers Morgan while he is on the air.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I frankly don't agree. There is a electronic trail to everyone who posts on the web and don't for a minute think you can't be tracked down. Anyone stupid enough to make death threats on the web should and can be immediately flagged and ID'd . Law enforcement should interview them proactively and decide if further action is indicated. I would take death threats of any kind extremely seriously and take any and all appropriate actions against these people including hiring folks who can track them. You have no idea what's really going thru their minds, but you can bet they are somewhat or totally deranged! What better signal does society need!

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Death threats or even threats of violence are illegal in most parts of the world and if the sender can be identified and he/she pretty much always can, the threat can be forwarded to the police in that country.

Even an insulting/abusive email can be sent to the ISP of the sender because they have broken their contract rules and it's not uncommon for rhw ISP to cut off their internet service.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
I've seen hunters taunt and threaten the anti's and I've seen the anti's taunt and threaten the hunters. I've seen this mostly posted on social media. Social media sucks because it allows anybody to step up and say stupid shit

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has it ever occurred to anyone that we need an organization who researches these threats and see that they get prosecuted?

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I used to receive at least one death threat a year during the nearly thirty years when I wrote outdoor columns for our daily newspaper. This was long before email. They came in phone calls or unsigned letters, usually immediately after I had published a photo of hunters with dead animals.

The most frightening threat I ever received came in an envelope filled with photos of me, my wife and daughter, and our home and cars. The letter that came with the photos rambled on both sides of three or four pages and had multiple sketches showing the three of us stabbed and shot. The obviously insane freak who sent this to me apparently was pissed because I had written a eulogy to a local taxidermist.

The first year or so, I took each threat to the police (if I received the threat at the newspaper), our county sheriff (if it came to my home) and to the post office when a threat came by letter. I eventually stopped wasting my time.

I was told there was no way to track a letter from an anonymous kook, and there was nothing law enforcement could do until someone actually tried to attack us.

In that case, I was told, my family and I could not be protected if someone really wanted to do us harm.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I suppose it depends on the jurisdiction, but making "terroristic threats" is a felony in Georgia.

I personally know a person who sent a text message to someone who lived 6 hours away, threatening to beat him up. Police came and grabbed the sender up and threw him in jail.

Didn't matter that the text was sent while the guy was drunk, or that there was no way he could have carried out the threat expeditiously. A threat is a threat.

Terroristic threats carry a five-year sentence in GA. The guy is still in jail--no bail allowed--waiting to be sentenced.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We need to try and bring these people making the threats out in the open.Even posting pictures of them here is a step forward.Let us identify the and show hunters who is making the threats against them.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed by the level of hate directed at some hunters for participating and being successful in a legal hobby. Another thing is the selective outrage some people exhibit when certain people are threatened with bodily harm or death, but others, such as hunters, are okay. There are plenty of people doing things I find objectionable, but threatening them is not something I would ever contemplate. As far as the legality of threatening someone, try doing that to an elected official and see what happens.

Posts: 231 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Most Facebook users are not anonymous

Text a girlfriend or an ex-wife "I'm going to kill you" and all she has to do is show that text to the court house and you will get a visit from the sheriff that day!!

Happened to a buddy of mine having women trouble

Line #13 on the yellow gun background check....question.....have you ever had a restraining order?

Get one of those and it hurts a legal gun buyer quick

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
According to several deputies with the Pasco County sheriff, it's legal in Florida as long as you don't have the means to do it IMMEDIATELY. In other words, if you're not within sight, you can do it via phone or Internet. I had a tenant leave a voicemail threatening to shoot me, PCSO said no crime.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

It might be entertaining if Dr. Palmer had a VPO served on Piers Morgan while he is on the air.

That would be great! Big Grin

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophic-Hunter
posted Hide Post
Hypothetically, if someone threatens to kill me over the internet, meaning that they could take me out at any time, am I not justified in seeking them out and eliminating the threat ... (again, hypothetically).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's called a terroristic threat and it's a crime in most jurisdictions, including my home State of Texas. What I generally do when I get one is ask for confirmation that they would like me dead, so I can print it and save it in the unlikely event they are serious and they wind up dead if I have to defend myself. I generally don't get a response.

In more serious cases, when people try not to be identified, I've hired a PI and called the wife of the perp and asked her to look out her front window to see if there is a [describe the sedan}. Then I ask if it just left. Never had another problem after that routine.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
I've seen hunters taunt and threaten the anti's and I've seen the anti's taunt and threaten the hunters. I've seen this mostly posted on social media. Social media sucks because it allows anybody to step up and say stupid shit

+1

Thing is, if you look at it logically, even if it is illegal it is a nightmare to enforce. You better have DEEP pockets to proceed against every threat in this sort of situation. If you want the authorities to handle it you guys would need another cost efficient enforcement bureaucracy the size of the DHS (sarcasm) to follow up on all of the threats made in social media............ and that might not even be big enough. You are talking hundreds of thousands of threats, probably every day.

And lets not forget that the threats can be coming from countries all over the globe.

I have found that the most effective method of getting in their onions is to do as recommended by Shakari. Internet providers do not take kindly to this sort of behaviour.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote