New
Find
Notify
Tools

Color variants-market collapses
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good riddance.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never had any desire to hunt "GMO" game; not only on the game farms in RSA, but also the non-typical freak whitetails they shoot on American game farms.

I honestly think most people would be more proud of a trophy that represents a natural example of the species (even if it has a genetic mutation of some kind).

IMO, the breeders were advertising black impala as the next "big thing", not the hunting public.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good news!

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Nobody tried white elephant yet?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally...
I would have liked to have seen the chart showing the big spike up...not just the fall down...
I would imagine you would see the collapse simply a correction back to where it began or even still a bit higher.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Interesting article, I agree with the conclusions that it was all hype and speculation that drove the market "crash".

The charts could have been better with some values for relative prices to get a better understanding of the price fluctuations. 100% as the basis for the market price on Jan 1, means nothing to me. If breeding bulls and cow average prices were listed in Rands it would be more easily understood.

I couldn't find the author's name either.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
They were aiming for new SCI INNER CIRCLES trophies! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does SCI do a award for Pink elephants ?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Does SCI do a award for Pink elephants ?

Very likely they do.

It is just kept a secret except for members of the INNER CIRCLES clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply free market supply and demand...........the demand wasn't there. I think mostly because of the price.

I bet clean buffalo drop like a rock next.

At the prices they are wanting for brood stock they can't afford to sell them reasonably to be hunted..........

Posts: 42342 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. I have been asked to invest in buffalo more times than I can remember. It never made any sense to me. It still doesn't.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
A multi billion Rand ponzi scheme - nothing else.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About what I thought.

One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the unnaturally wide/long and/or brancheshorns and antlers on captive and semi-captive selective bred ungulates will be next.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Good breeding stock of quality animals will always have value.

I never understood the draw to shoot 5 different colors of springbok. I guess there are some off colored impala, gnu and other species now.

Mutation happens, selectively breeding for mutation is what causes 100% of white tigers to be mentally retarded.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They were probably just too pricey to hunt. I hope they will keep them around. Like white tigers and white lions were just a natural mutation of a gene and found in the wild like that and then were propagated by linebreeding. There is nothing wrong with keeping something around that is different and that occurred naturally in a species as long as it is not deleterious to the species.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As well it should!