Notify
Tools

Bushbuck - Where and when?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I want a bushbuck to hang on my wall.

I'm probably going to do a plains game hunt with my brother soon to South Africa so what area would be the number one choice for a wall-hanger?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Limpopo or Natal!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

There are areas in the Cape and Natal Midlands where a Cape bushbuck is pretty much assured on an unfenced property if you shoot well. I targetted them specifically and took one the first day. Many of the bushbuck in RSA are hunted at night. You might want to clear that up with your PH if it is an issue for you. Contact me if your interested in a recommendation.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skip RSA and go with Munyamadzi in Zambia where you will shot the best bushbok of your life period.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a grand bushbuck in Zim. back in Sept., a real old man.
Waiting on my full body mount.
Possibly my favorite PG animal so far.
Good luck Frank, I hope you get one even better than mine.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
How large a bushbuck do you want? Here is a nice one taken near the confluence of the Crocodile and Limpopo rivers in RSA - measured 19 1.2 inches per side, but had never been scored.

This one is hanging in the trophy room of Hannes Els, owner of Limcroma Safaris.
http://www.limcroma.com/

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone esle trip over their own feet when they saw the monster that was at SCI. That was one of, if not the most, impressive set of horns at the show.

I can't recall where it was taken.

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post

Limpop Bushbuck. Shot on an irrigated cereal crop. Ran into some riverine scrub where it was finished off. Not shot at night but on dusk and shadows under the trees where the photo was taken.

Chobe bushbuck, shot on the Shangaani River banks.

Unfortunately only crooked clients and outfitters hunt there now. On this property.

The Chobe Bushbuck's colours are far more attractive than the Limpopo or Cape species.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Frank

Can offer you a shot at a better than decent Chobe bushbuck on the shores of lake kariba, throw in a bit of tiger fishing and a few cold beers the rest is history......best times September - October

Mart

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are areas in the Cape and Natal Midlands where a Cape bushbuck is pretty much assured on an unfenced property if you shoot well. I targetted them specifically and took one the first day. Many of the bushbuck in RSA are hunted at night. You might want to clear that up with your PH if it is an issue for you. Contact me if your interested in a recommendation.

Mark

Sorry Mark Respectfully. We never hunt Bushbuck at night. Early morning or late afternoon on full moon days you could be out 10am- 2pm sitting on alphalfa fields or near the coast glassing ravines and the edges of gras openings.
These are the Black East Cape bushbuck and sizes vary from 12.5 - 16 with a good size average of 14" some have been taken up to 19" but thats rare.
This is a great hunt as they are very elusive.
P.M me for photos and or details.

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys (and gal), I appreciate the information.

I'll be paying for two people on this trip and my brother is a novice to Africa and wants a variety of plains game so South Africa is probably where I'll have to go.

I don't expect a "RW" animal just a good mature ram.

As soon as I get our schedules worked out, I'll answer the PMs that I've received.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Good choice. Good wine women and song.

Cheers

andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank - Regardless of where you decide to go, a bushbuck is an awesome trophy - IMO. I've taken numerous sub-species, from the C.A.R. to S.A. and places in between, lots of fun.

I would think Martin's hunt along the Lake might be pretty cool.

Good luck!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I would look at the Eastern Cape.

I can highly recommend Andrew Renton of Kei River Safaris. We were into bushbuck every day we were after them.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Frank,

I can highly recommend Andrew Renton of Kei River Safaris. We were into bushbuck every day we were after them.

I suspect Frank has already made his choice and the post is therefore pointless.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Fjold - you may want to take a serious look at the Save Conservancy in Zimbabwe. I hunted there last year and am going again this year. There is a ton of plains game there, plus with it being private land, there is not requirement for a Government Game Scout. Plus, no Tsetse flies in the Save. Check out the photos on the Save Safaris website - there are some great bushbuck photos there. I passed on an 18" bushbuck there last year, and I have regretted it ever since. If I see him this year, I will not make the same mistake again.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
And this post provides what?

quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Frank,

I suspect Frank has already made his choice and the post is therefore pointless.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I haven't made up my mind yet but the Limpopo area looks like the best bet for trophies and economy.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HBH - Yes, I saw that bushbuck you're talking about at SCI this year - it was on the first floor, center aisle. Biggest one I've ever seen, and my SA friends there said it was the biggest they'd ever seen too.

I had great luck in Limpopo, shot a very nice old bushbuck with broomed-down tips the first day I went specifically hunting for one. Frank, make sure your PH knows a property where they are fairly plentiful, and you'll get one.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank
How about the best of both worlds.
Bushbuck hunted over hounds the Colonial way for a weekend, after which you take to the valleys of Southern Natal to hunt in true bushbuck habitat.
All walk and stalk and in some of the most spectacular carved river valleys you have ever seen.
Our old colonial families have been hunting bushbuck here in Southern KZN since the late 1800's.

With Emirates flying direct to Durban it cuts your drive time down to just over an hour.

No high fences by the way, this is open ranch country in riverine thornveld.
There are also Kudu, Nyala, Impala, Warthog etc on offer.

Drop me a PM if you would like to know more.
HQ

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Try finding a bigger one than this Lower Luangwa Bushbuck

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
www.thorwildlifesafaris.com
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 315 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The area in Limpopo along the Limpopo River is a great area. We hunted along there and the bushbuck were pouring over from Botswana. Three of us took bushbuck in one day.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I have been very interested in getting a bushbuck too.
Factoring in your brother going i would look at these two options. For a chance at a big ram i would look at a premire property along the Limpopo river. For pure scenery and hunting challange the eastern cape is the place i would go.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poacher458:
Try finding a bigger one than this Lower Luangwa Bushbuck

20"+ ? I am not doubting the authenticity of the image but the thing is incredible enough that it almost looks photo-shopped. I shot a 17.5" Chobe in Zimbabwe and will probably never take a more impressive trophy in my lifetime. That one you pictured is the trophy of SEVERAL lifetimes!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Bishopstone, right across the border in Zimbabwe, has some monster bushbuck. I sat late one afternoon in the fields surrounding Bishopstone and counted 25 male bushbuck, any of which would have been a trophy. I didn't shoot any that late afternoon, as I already had taken two Limpopo bushbuck and the next bushbuck I was planning on shooting was going to be a Chobe, which I did shoot the following season in the Zambezi Valley. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
While not exactly a monster, a respectable Chobe Bushbuck from the Nyaminga Block in Zambia's Luangwa Valley...

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with this bushbuck. I want to post a East Cape Bushbuck to show the col,our contrast. . . just need to wrestle with photo bucket Smiler

My last 4 bushbuck taken in 2011 June - August 1 early morning the rest late afternoon

This big Ol Ram was shot at 3 pm mid Afternoon !!

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote