Find
Notify
Tools

Maun, Bon Arrivee - Capstick
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted
I'm putting together an article about my last trip to Botswana. While there I, of course, had some beers and a meal at Bon Arrivee.
Ok, just beers.
I was told that this was the bar where Peter Capstick worked and collected all his "stories."
Does anyone know if this is actually true?
And if so, do you have documentation of proof?
Thanks guys

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a bar in Lusaka.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
The obvious question is: Who told you, and what did they say? Your interlocutor apparently thought it was true enough to tell you. I would hang it on them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In one of his videos, PHC discussed the Duck Inn in Maun.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry the Duck Inn was a legendary watering hole in Maun during the peak of Botswana hunting. The legends of the day like Lionel Palmer, Dougie Wright, Harry Selby, Dandridge...were known to frequent.

But I don't think Capstick tended bar there, again I think it was a bar in Lusaka.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i understood that it was the old safari lodge in vic falls. at least some of the older bartenders seemed to remember him ( but that was probably 25 years or so ago)

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info guys

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was in Maun, July - August 2001, I just got drive-bys, going to and from the bush charter, of the place Harry Selby frequented, but he wasn't there at the times I was.
I asked about Capstick and got some chuckles, yes he had been there too. The Duck Inn sounds familiar.
Sort of like the The Dew Drop Inn's of Kentucky.

I think everybody is right. PHC must have frequented every watering hole in Southern Africa, and he was alcohol tolerant enough to take good notes even with a BAT of .300 or greater.

That is what I call BATTING almost as well as Ted Williams. beer

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was at the Duck Inn in August of 1988 and Capstick was not there. I can verify that as being 100% true..... but he could have been! Isn't that how rumors get started??? LOL
Lord, I wish I could turn back the clock and be there now!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I was back there as well

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Gayne,

What difference does it make? He's been stone dead for 15 years.

They were good stories, and it was another time.

You are a pretty good writer and damn funny. Don't be enough of a low life to go shitting on someone's grave.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Gayne,

You are a pretty good writer and damn funny. Don't be enough of a low life to go shitting on someone's grave.

Perhaps this is research for an article and not at all disrespectful to PHC.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Uh...thanks. I think. I was just curious if that was the bar.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Gayne,

I follow you. I don't know if Fiona Capstick is alive or not. I misunderstood your intent.

Duck something from Maun is all I remember.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I was just wondering if that's one of the bars he worked at. I'm of the opinion, like a lot I'm sure, that Capstick was a damn good story teller. He got me interested in what I do for a living today. What he did or didn't do doesn't really concern me.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worries sir. Thanks

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Gayne,

I am leaving for my twentieth trip to Zim next month. This post set me to wonder. In twenty years will my eighteen month old grand daughter be posting, "it was another time"? Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, embrace it, don't question it. Thanks Wyoming for making me think.

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote