New
Find
Notify
Tools

World Events and Safari Costs?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The world is a pretty crazy place right now. Islamic Terrorism, with the latest attack in a hunting destination--Burkina Faso, world economy's in decline, F-in Cecil, the ban on ivory importation, airlines refusing to carry hunting trophy's, and the recent debacle with importing Lion into the USA.

Nothing good is happening lately!!

In your opinion/s do you think that the price of a Safari is going to fall? There are allot of Lion in RSA that are NOT going to get shot this yearFrowner

I'm sure that the SCI Convention will still be full of people booking trips but I know of allot of people who are passing on Africa until things change.

I know that there are many PH's and outfitters posting here so I would like to hear your comments as well.

With things being as they are now I think that 2016 is going to be a bad year for the Safari Industry.

Whatdaya Think??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never was interested in South African Lions, so that's a non-issue.

I'm hunting in Africa regardless. I suspect there are enough of us that prices will not be depressed.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Things in Zambia are looking very positive. The re opening of all concessions and we have our cats back on board and our ivory is exportable.

USF&WS are playing God and sadly this will impact on some hunting.

Us hunters are resilient and as we say in Africa there is always a plan to be made. My advise is hunt within your budget be positive and go out there and take advantage of some of the great opportunities on offer.

A warm camp fire with a cold beer in hand is good medicine.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9982 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I never was interested in South African Lions, so that's a non-issue.

I'm hunting in Africa regardless. I suspect there are enough of us that prices will not be depressed.

ME TOO... I'll be there.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LeopardTrack - Oh those lions in SA are going to get shot alright, just not by paying customers. Lion farmers are NOT going to keep paying for/feeding them for nothing. They simply are going to kill them, and likely pretty soon.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
First off I agree with Andrews feelings........ do what you can in your budget and I suspect there are going to be some deals later if you are in a position to take advantage of it.

As an outfitter I know that behind the scenes....... because there is this tendency to put forth an all is fine, full steam ahead image.... all kinds of outfitters world wide are hurting and seeing a poor year ahead. Some will be full and have great demand because they have what is wanted at this point in time........ but the silent majority who do not say anything are struggling and have been for closing on a decade now.

I would love to go, but with the Canadian dollar in the toilet and no relief in sight...... it just isn't going to happen.

There are many things at play right now and none of them are positive. I urge all who can do it to go and partake of some great hunts. Personally I see some changes coming that are not going to make most of us happy, but I am sure there are many who will think it is going to be sunshine and roses in the end. I am not one of them.

As for the lion........ I was never going to be booking a hunt for pen raised lions behind high fence. Not my thing, any more than pen raised red deer are in New Zealand. Everyone is free to disagree and sling crap but what is happening with that industry was inevitable......... the sad thing is that the fallout is going to hurt many other aspects of hunting that have nothing to do with it.

The sooner all hunters realize that the other 99 percent of society will ultimately call the shots on what we do, the better. Then perhaps our side of things can be more united in how they push forward to educate the masses that a wild lion killed at a time in its life that does not affect the overall lion population, helps to support the frame work needed to conserve wild Africa and give them a place to live. That the death of that lion gives value to the local communities who live with them.

Ultimately, what happens with the lion and elephant issues will be a template for what happens elsewhere with hunting as human populations grow and encroach on habitat around the globe. Social engineering is going on as we speak and when your interests and activities only represent less than one percent of the individuals that are out there being swayed and manipulated........... well you need to be extremely creative.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Things in Zambia are looking very positive. The re opening of all concessions and we have our cats back on board and our ivory is exportable.

Us hunters are resilient and as we say in Africa there is always a plan to be made. My advise is hunt within your budget be positive and go out there and take advantage of some of the great opportunities on offer.

The best medecine.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With oil and the stock market taking a dump, I would imagine more will have to think twice about hunting in 2016. A lot of uncertainty in the water and that never helps the hunting industry.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Tough deal
I'm still going even if it's just plains game this year
Gotta do jumbo soon or I'm gonna die

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Gotta do jumbo soon or I'm gonna die

yuck

That is what I keep telling my wife. Unfortunately she has this thing about paying bills. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn all the bullshit politics.
There are no guarantees.
Cut your best deal and go now.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Prices are falling. As an example, I know of an end of season elephant deal that was negotiated as a $5000 add on to a buff hunt. That should tell you where lions are headed too if this keeps up. Frankly, as I am not concerned with US importability, I benefit from this...but the species sure as hell doesn't.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I am no epxert but I think prices have doubled in the last 2 year.

I booked a 7 day Buffalo hunt in Zim (2013 for 14) - $9k - Rand was 9 per $

For various reasons I had to cancel the hunt. I just went to Africa, shot some birds and visited 3 parks.

Now a 7 day buffalo hunt costs $11.5 k and the rand is at 16 per $

I doubt that inflation has increased living costs by double in Southern Africa particularly when oil is down and petrol cots are a significant part of safari cots. Will tips have to increased at the same proportion?

Just does not add up for me. someone somewhere is creaming it BIG TIME.

The other explanation could be that bookings are down by 50% and revenue is the same.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
With oil and the stock market taking a dump, I would imagine more will have to think twice about hunting in 2016. A lot of uncertainty in the water and that never helps the hunting industry.

I think you are right. When one gets on a plane heading to DSC thinking about going on safari, then lands and realizes that since you took off, you lost enough money in the market to pay for a safari, there will be hesitation.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, you must be investing with Mike! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I am no epxert but I think prices have doubled in the last 2 year.

I booked a 7 day Buffalo hunt in Zim (2013 for 14) - $9k - Rand was 9 per $

For various reasons I had to cancel the hunt. I just went to Africa, shot some birds and visited 3 parks.

Now a 7 day buffalo hunt costs $11.5 k and the rand is at 16 per $

I doubt that inflation has increased living costs by double in Southern Africa particularly when oil is down and petrol cots are a significant part of safari cots. Will tips have to increased at the same proportion?

Just does not add up for me. someone somewhere is creaming it BIG TIME.

The other explanation could be that bookings are down by 50% and revenue is the same.

Naki,

The Rand / Dollar exchange rate plays no role in Zimbabwean pricing.

Regards,

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 855 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
LeopardTrack - Oh those lions in SA are going to get shot alright, just not by paying customers. Lion farmers are NOT going to keep paying for/feeding them for nothing. They simply are going to kill them, and likely pretty soon.

Not many of us are going to mourn that.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
If you look around you will find some good deals and agree that some bargains are to be had later in the season.

One Luangwa operator that I approached this year agreed to split a Buffalo/Hippo and Croc hunt between two hunters which I thought was very fair indeed.

If you are keen on Zambia let me know and I will point you in the right direction.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

No they won't!

They will be adopted by PETA members so they can feed them all the other animals PETA kills every day clap

Talk about how stupid those antis are!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:

And the bones will be sold to the Chinese. stir

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you look around you will find some good deals and agree that some bargains are to be had later in the season.

One Luangwa operator that I approached this year agreed to split a Buffalo/Hippo and Croc hunt between two hunters which I thought was very fair indeed.

If you are keen on Zambia let me know and I will point you in the right direction.

Thanks for your updates on Zambia Andrew. One question..have lion quotas been issued to the various GMA's and community areas for 2016?

Posts: 1924 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I'd say it's all conspiracy of all the African outfitters to make us go hunting there, get us addicted to hunting there and wave that carrot in front of us so we will spend every last penny on our terrible addiction
Is there some pill against that?
I sure could use one but I'm not sure if I'm strong enough to quit...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
I'd say it's all conspiracy of all the African outfitters to make us go hunting there, get us addicted to hunting there and wave that carrot in front of us so we will spend every last penny on our terrible addiction
I sure could use one but I'm not sure if I'm strong enough to quit...

There are pills available, unfortunately the African outfitters bought the factory and set it on fire. jumping

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A person could die of old age waiting for all the right circumstances. The best time to go hunting is whenever you can. For the most part hunting countries such as Tanzania, Mozimbique, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Uganda and Zambia are relatively safe. Go before you spend the rest of your life saying woulda, shoulda, and coulda gone.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Try 10 grains of chopped cordite between meals.... Big Grin

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
That one just might make it worse

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said Skyline. Jim

Posts: 136 | Location: Great Falls,MT | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gentlemen the above was written by a man who knows of what he writes!

.................................................................. tu2 patriot

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote