THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Why is the $ getting stronger against the Rand?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is the $ getting stronger against the Rand?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The dollar is tanking against all major currencies except the SA Rand. I believe the dollar has strengthened against it by almost 20% over the last eight months. I am not complaining, but why? What do the South Africans have to say?

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Go now.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
corecpa,

Mostly we cry! I do not consider the $ is gaining strength against the Rand _ I think it is more the Rand loosing against all currencies!

Some HO's are of course laughing all the way to the bank with 20 % more prifit they have expected. Some HO's, like Infinito and myself, are passing the change in exchange rate on to the Americans.

Where will then rot on the Rand stop? Well, a few years back we exchanged Rands for US$ at 16:1 - so the current 8:1 is just about 1/2 way to where it has been!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, buy why? Is inflatiion rising in SA? The spill over from Zimbabwe? That "Bring Me My Machine Gun" presidential candinate?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
So, in passing on the exchange rate, you are offering Americans cheaper hunts? I haven't seen that from anyone else at this time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well considering all the things causing economic conditions today, my guess is stronger paper Confused

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at who's sweating on who's checkbook.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The US dollar is also gaining strength against the Namibian dollar. It must be an African thing.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12684 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Frank,

The Namibian Dollar is tied to the SA Rand.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
So, in passing on the exchange rate, you are offering Americans cheaper hunts? I haven't seen that from anyone else at this time.

It was 12:1 a few years back and you did not see a lot of discount prices. That was when it seemed everyone in RSA with a truck and a jack russel became a PH.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I remember those days. And then the prices went up and up. Now that the rand is tanking, why don't the prices readjust? (i.e. getting more for your hunting buck?)

one of us
posted Hide Post
'Weaker rand not all bad'

Mar 17 2008 9:18PM

Cape Town - Current global economic turmoil is unlikely to "impoverish" South Africa and there is some good in the weaker rand, according to First National Bank chief economist Cees Bruggemans.

Commenting on the falling rand on Monday, Bruggemans said the good news was that it was the shock absorber of the moment, shielding the economy from the fallout from the global credit and banking contagion.

"It remains to be seen, however, whether there will be back-to-back bad news if the SA Reserve Bank (SARB) were to raise interest rates to neutralise the effect of the weaker rand," he said.

Seven months into the United States "housing-cum-credit-cum-banking debacle," things were still worsening, drastically even.

The US dollar, now $1.58/Euro, was clearly on skids. In coming months, the dollar could be expected to explore $1.60 - $1.75/Euro territory.

The good news was that South Africa's two precious metals - gold and platinum - along with other rising commodity export prices, were effectively paying for rising oil import costs.

"Unlike other parts of the emerging and rich world which don't have such built-in hedges, we have natural protection shielding us," he said.

Facing more weakness

"At the same time, the world prefers to blithely ignore all of this, instead fixating on our large current account deficit of over 7% of GDP.

"With differentiation rigorously applied, separating good girls (attractive surpluses) from bad girls (big deficits), the tendency is to sell us off."

The result was a weaker rand at R8.20 against a dollar that was weakening itself at $1.58/Euro.

With this US-cum-global financial crisis feeding the anxiety, buying oil might remain popular until the crisis finally ended, Bruggemans said.

Meanwhile, the rand also apparently faced more weakness in tandem with the dollar's descent. Another 10%-20% loss would take it to R9-R10/dollar.

"If oil remains global-grease-of-last-resort for the high rollers, its rising price may prevent us from gaining an overall advantage from our rising precious metal prices.

"Only if our precious metals achieve a breakout relative to oil, would our current account deficit suddenly become positively transformed."

'Call of duty'

So far the rand was 20% weaker than in 2007. That weakness could still grow to 30%, if not 40%.

That would inject a lot more income than what was currently being lost due to slowing spending momentum.

"It argues in favour of higher interest rates later this year, in line with what happened in 2002.

"We are in the midst of a major disturbance that's moving our cheese.

"Happily it isn't impoverishing us as a country (oil is naturally hedged by precious metals and other exports), but the currency effects are rearranging the winner-loser line-up.

"The SARB may have to adjudicate that beauty competition, however unwilling it must be under present political circumstances. There's the call of duty for you."

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9477 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Frank,

The Namibian Dollar is tied to the SA Rand.

See? I was right! It is an Africa thing. Big Grin

I can find information, it's just that my understanding an interpretation of it is often lacking.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12684 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Benefit rom the weaker rand.

Special

quote:

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's an African thing- Don't worry, Zuma will take the rand to at least a Million to 1 against the USD Wink, just so South Africans don't feel left out of the African "renaissance"

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I would say for the most part safari costs, no matter what a particular currency is doing, continue to rise.

Safari prices in Zim have not dropped and are not about to. My RSA outfitters all raised their day rates and trophy fees for 2008. The cost of fuel continues to rise which also causes cost increases for just about everything else, food, services, etc.

Supply and demand may also have influence on safari pricing. Lots of baby boomers entering retirement with good pensions to spend right now and will for some years to come.

~Ann

Posts: 19540 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
It's an African thing- Don't worry, Zuma will take the rand to at least a Million to 1 against the USD Wink, just so South Africans don't feel left out of the African "renaissance"

Is Zuma that bad Ganyana? Frowner

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
The funny thing is that they talk about Gold and Platinum being a natural hedge, when platinum has lost about 13% in the last week and the gold price hike is driven by the fact that they can't get enough out of the ground so they are working at reduced capacity.

The reality is that the currency is being sold internationally because of the perceived political/economic risks and the metals hedge is the exact opposite because of the lack of volume. Against the Dollar the general consensus is that it goes wider still...

Apparently Zuma is that bad indeed.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Black empowerment" programs tend to have a deleterious effect on African currencies.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote