Notify
Tools

Redecorating your trophy room?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
Folks,

Mama Shakari doesn't believe in letting the grass grow under her feet and if you're redecorating your trophy room, some of you may be interested in her latest project at www.wild-african-art.com

It all started with someone asking her where they could get the ear of their elephant painted and once the ball got rolling, she was flooded with enquiries from both hunters and local artists, and so she decided to build the site.

Hope you guys find it useful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this the same shakari, that doesn't hussle his products or services on AR, oh yea this is his wife's deal. Maybe this should be in the classified area, eh.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Eish, sorry, I forgot to ask your permission to make a post again......I'll try to remember next time. rotflmo

Hey, look on the bright side. at least I'm not criticising your favourite organisation!

Ah dammit, there goes another rib! jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For sure you don't need my permission for any post, but people do complain about posts in the improper forum, eh. I strongly believe in the free enterprise system you have to make hay when the sun shines.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
As it's about a wide range of Africa wildlife art that many African hunters would enjoy, offers the facility for hunters/forum members to have the ears of their own elephants painted, paintings of hunters with their African trophies and a variety of trophy room decorations etc, (all with African themes) I'd have thought it fits in rather well with Saeed's usual criteria.

If he feels it doesn't and wants to move it, I certainly won't be offended at all....... but I reckon it's his decision rather than that of the internet police. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What has SCI done to fund this project????

Damn I am sorry, I just couldn't resist... rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shakari,
I like the link right here, right where it belongs.

In honor of die, I was thinking of asking Saeed for an SCI or Organizations forum where we could have light conversation about RMEF or B&C or DU or NAACP.

Posts: 10179 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, in all seriousness - maybe that should be a forum or a separate part of AR for a listing of agents, safari outfits, equipment sellers and the like. Then a list of reviews on each one relating experiences.

Posts: 10179 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
As it's about a wide range of Africa wildlife art that many African hunters would enjoy, offers the facility for hunters/forum members to have the ears of their own elephants painted, paintings of hunters with their African trophies and a variety of trophy room decorations etc, (all with African themes) I'd have thought it fits in rather well with Saeed's usual criteria.

If he feels it doesn't and wants to move it, I certainly won't be offended at all....... but I reckon it's his decision rather than that of the internet police. Roll Eyes

I don't know if the boss man will like the post here or not but. Steve hooked me up with one of these guys and he painted my ele. ear and did one of my leopard and it was a fraction of what I have seen artist charge at the show. I love both of them. They are in route from SA as we speak. Steve feel free to post them both if you like. THANKS AGAIN STEVE!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I'd love to post them but I lost the images (and God alone knows how many others) in a recent computer crash...... If you still have pics on your computer, I'll gladly post them if you can send them to me.

In the meantime, we're trying to find copies on Susan's laptop.

One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Steve: Another first class, straight-up site. I for one am glad it is posted here! Good on you mate.
Hey....My daughter and I.....and that grandaughter of mine will be right there in your neck of the Woods in just 4 days time. If we get the chance we WILL look you up. We are staying the first 3 days at Pretoriuskop in Kruger. I am going to get her an eye full of Ele & Buff. Then turn her loose with the rifle up around Munnick. She'll turn 6 on July 18th in Safari camp. She can make that .243 walk and talk!!!!
Thanks for all your help in the past.
Do you have any of the "neat junk" at your house in case we stop by????

Posts: 502 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve when I get back to the office next week will send them
Thanks

NRA LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve: If you want....send me a pm with exactly where I need to stop when driving by your house. We will be driving from Joburg. I know you are close by!

Posts: 502 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
bcolyer,

glad you like the site, although as I said, I can't take any credit for it whatsoever!..... Susan did it all!

We live on the White River Country Estate which is on the Hazyview Road just outside the town of White River and about a 20 minute drive from the KNP......... if you're in the area, we'd love to meet you. If you don't much time, give me a call on 0832777114 and we'll be happy to meet up with you somewhere. - Also feel free to call me if you need to borrow a coolbox and/or braii tools etc.

Sorry buddy, we don't keep any of the stuff here.

Jeff,

I'll look forward to getting them...... in the meantime, I think the pic below is of your Elephant ear, but I'm not 100% sure. Looks like I've lost all the pics of your Leopard painting though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice website and some really nice prints and stuff. Who knows one of these days when I have to make a bigger trophy room I can pick up some stuff. Actually I all ready need a bigger trophy room but I rather spend my money on the hunts at this point.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
David,

You'll just have to start shooting smaller trophies. Wink

There's a few Sue Dickinson prints there but the rest are original works......... or so I'm told! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Beautiful art work. Thanks for posting.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Very nice Steve!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Steve

Thanks for the link, DAMN nice products ...

Talking about which posts should go in which forums is a GREY AREA sometimes,

I go along with the general notion that the owner/operators of these forums will cull or transfer as they deem appropriate and therfore are the sole judge of the guilty or not guily verdict.

dogcat from Oklahoma has quite a nice idea as well, maybe something along those lines could be considered by the owners !!

I personally (out of self interest) would like a category created for BIG TAG items such as GAME RANCHES and WILDLIFE AFRICA properties BUY/SELL ... this would generate some nice options and opportunities for those with an interest to invest.

The forums are just great and IMHO the more information and products the better, from time to time the catogaries naturally get re-jigged to meet what is sometimes called (a make over) new ideas and new formats are what keep the multitudes interested

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Peter,

Going slightly off topic for a moment, I know what you mean about property. One of the areas I've been hunting for the last 30 years has just been granted permission to build about 25 homes on one part of the reserve. plots are between 3000 and 7000 square metres and the reserve has fantastic game populations, including elephant and both black and white rhino on it......... and all land claims on the entire area were dismissed a couple of years ago. A bit pricey by African standards though at about ZAR7M for the smallest plot with a 3 bedroom house built on it. Eeker

Getting back on topic, as I said, all credit must go to Susan rather than me. Frankly, I'm about as artistic as a kick in the arse Big Grin and don't have time to get involved anyway.

I just went into the office and heard her talking to one of the artists, who was offering to take a pic of hunter and animal and paint it as a portrait.......... Sounds like a good idea to me but one I'd never have thought of in a hundred years. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve, I will send you the leopard pic. This is my ele. ear.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve ...

Talking about wildlife artists, there is another (very intersting chap) Val Odendaal from around your neck of the woods (White River) that is quite and interesting person to talk to about wildlife in general. He grew up on a ranch in Kenya some many years ago and is a wealth of information, he also does the elephant ear painting scenario.

All the best

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Thanks buddy, as soon as they get here, I'll post 'em.

Peter,

White River and surrounding areas seem to be chokka block full of artistic types...... I'm told it's something to do with ley lines (whatever they are!) or some such...... If you have any idea where Val Odendaal stays or can give me any contact info, I'll pass it over to Susan and she'll try to track him down.

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

Peter,

White River and surrounding areas seem to be chokka block full of artistic types...... I'm told it's something to do with ley lines (whatever they are!) or some such...... If you have any idea where Val Odendaal stays or can give me any contact info, I'll pass it over to Susan and she'll try to track him down.

Hi Steve

Below is Val's webpage,

He seems to have some very nice work, in fact extremely beautiful painting IMHO, good luck

Val Odendaal - wildlife artist

Cheers, Peter

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hi Peter

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
com

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what just happened to my post, so, will try again. Are the painted elephant ears suitable for use as table coverings?

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Chick:
Are the painted elephant ears suitable for use as table coverings?

Bryan,

That would probably depend of what finish was on the table....... if it's french polished for example, it might well scatch the finish. They could probably put a soft covering on the back of the ear to prevent that though.

Might be an idea to ask Jeff's opinion after he's taken delivery of his consignment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I was thinking more about great grand daughter spilling formula, or, the local drunks spilling a drink on it and damaging the painted surface.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The artist uses oil based paints, so I guess it'd be better to avoid that kind of thing and hang it on a wall instead where it won't get damaged.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Susan says, how about a glass topped table with the ear beneath the glass?

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Something like this maybe..

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
That'd work, but I'd hate to be the guy that got the job of cutting the glass though! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
That one is from LifeForm in SA.

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
What has SCI done to fund this project????

Damn I am sorry, I just couldn't resist... rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Perfect!

and

Steve --- great info

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
That's handy, they're just up the road from us so I'll pass that info onto the boss woman and I'm sure she'll be able to offer that as an option.

Thanks again! thumb

Bwana Bunduki & Woodmnctry......... it gave me a giggle as well. Smiler