New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magic Bullets That Never Miss!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
A few years ago, we had quite a bit of rain while hunting.

And as usual, whenever it rains hard, it effectively stops any wish of driving.

We woke up in the morning with the sun up, so wasted no time in getting ourselves ready to roll.

That is all we did - the wheels were rolling but the truck was not moving!

We decide to go on foot, as non of us wanted to spend another day twiggling our fingers in camp.

We saw some impala and decided to shoot one, so we could put it up for leopard bait, and take some home for the pot.

They were feeding across an open space, less than 200 yards away.

I found a Bush, and rested my rifle on a branch, and fired a shot!

The rifle slipped down as I was firing.

We could see the bullet hitting the ground about half way to the impala.

The whole lot ran off! And the rest of our party were having a good laugh at my miss.

Especially one of our trackers, who nicknamed me " one one" - apparently he thinks I kill each animal with one shot!

As we walked towards where the impala was, I said to Alan "you know, that bullet hit the ground exactly towards him. Would it not be funny if it had recochette and him him"

"It would. But it does not look it happened here. But let's us look anyway."

We found where the bullet hit the ground, and were talking about it, when Roy, who was a few yards ahead of us, said "I think they have found blood"

We made our way towards where the blood was, and a few yards away, behind some bush, was our dead impala!

Our "one one" tracker was most impressed!

The others were explaining to him that I make my own bullets, and the black coating has magic in it rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68597 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Moly? Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are a Wizard Wink

DRSS

Posts: 1970 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
If that was our trip, that was the day I got the Wildebeest and was picked up by the tractor. That was a good days hunting. Wink

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8029 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good one!

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3400 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's good karma! Congrats.

Posts: 2623 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
If that was our trip, that was the day I got the Wildebeest and was picked up by the tractor. That was a good days hunting. Wink

Yes Tony, that was the day.

I remember you being delivered in a tracktor clap

Posts: 68597 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I've got one better.

We were driving along to go to the blind when we spotted fresh bait- 3 warthogs.....Get your gun, get your gun.....

Lots of brush, I could only get a clean shot on one. After the recoil and they came back into view, I saw one stagger off... Got em..

My PH started to laugh: No, that wasn't the one you were aiming at. I heard a ting, your bullet deflected.......

Then after a pause: It's good, the one you hit was bigger......

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post

It wasn't the most comfortable ride but it sure beat walking back Wink

A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8029 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:

It wasn't the most comfortable ride but it sure beat walking back Wink

My favorite picture of you lot was when someone raised that tractor up 20 feet in the air with you on it rotflmo

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
And someone (Saeed) was trying to talk the driver into tipping us out rotflmo

Administrator
posted Hide Post
A friend has a girlfriend who looks very pretty but lacks other attributes.

She likes to come here with him, as everyone enjoys talking to her, and she enjoys the attention she gets.

She was trying to shoot some cans we have put in the tunnel, with a Ruger 10/22, standing off hand.

She could not hit any, and kept saying "Saeed, how do you stop the gun moving about?"

"It is not possible to stop the gun moving about. But, I can show you how I can bounce the bullets off the walls and hit several cans with one bullet"

"REALLY?" she said

I went and lined up several cans in a sort of elongated way, got back, and got a skeet shotgun.

The boys here were trying their best to stop the tears coming down their cheeks.

One actually left the shooting room and ran upstairs, then we could hear him screaming with laughter.

I fired a shot, and all cans tumbled down.

The poor girls was in total shock.

"OH MY GOD! I WISH I COULD DO THAT"

Her boyfriend said "If you can do that with a rifle, I will marry you!"

They are still together, but he has not married her. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Was she a blond?

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubbleduck47:
Was she a blond?

Yes, German and would do well in the Octoberfest clap

I will leave the rest to your imagination jumping

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My favorite never miss story was at a public rifle range with about 20-25 people shooting on the line.

I was set up on a bench and a car pulls in with two adult males and a 11 or 12 year old kid. They set up about three benches over, one of the men is talking about how he shot expert in the Army, blah, blah, typical blowhard, etc.

The guy loads up his SKS and takes aim at the 18" steel gong about 150 yards away, he hits it once out of 10 times and loads it up for the other adult and he fires it and hits it twice or so.

The adults gave the gun to the kid with no instructions and the kid takes aim down range. I'm bored so just as the kid jerks the trigger, I shoot and ring the gong. The kid looks up smiling and the men both look amazed. The blow hard takes the rifle and shoots the rest of the magazine and again hits the gong maybe once or twice.

He reloads the rifle and gives it to the kid again. The kid shoots 10 rounds so I shoot and ring the gong every time he pulls the trigger. The adults are so stupid that they don't see the puffss of dirt all over the range they just see/hear the gong ringing. I'm single loading a bolt action rifle and sometimes I'm half a second late but they are oblivious.

The blow hard takes the rifle again and aiming carefully from the bench hit's the gong maybe 3 times out of 10 shots. He again gives the kid the rifle and every time he pulls the trigger I ring the gong. Another shooter next to me at the range sees what's going on and is double over laughing his head off. When I fumble a reload, he rings the gong for the kid so we just take turns every time the kid shoots.

After three or four magazines full the two adults throw the SKS in the trunk and leave. The other shooter on the bench next to me and I share a laugh and enjoy the rest of the day.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12684 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
My favorite never miss story was at a public rifle range with about 20-25 people shooting on the line.

I was set up on a bench and a car pulls in with two adult males and a 11 or 12 year old kid. They set up about three benches over, one of the men is talking about how he shot expert in the Army, blah, blah, typical blowhard, etc.

The guy loads up his SKS and takes aim at the 18" steel gong about 150 yards away, he hits it once out of 10 times and loads it up for the other adult and he fires it and hits it twice or so.

The adults gave the gun to the kid with no instructions and the kid takes aim down range. I'm bored so just as the kid jerks the trigger, I shoot and ring the gong. The kid looks up smiling and the men both look amazed. The blow hard takes the rifle and shoots the rest of the magazine and again hits the gong maybe once or twice.

He reloads the rifle and gives it to the kid again. The kid shoots 10 rounds so I shoot and ring the gong every time he pulls the trigger. The adults are so stupid that they don't see the puffss of dirt all over the range they just see/hear the gong ringing. I'm single loading a bolt action rifle and sometimes I'm half a second late but they are oblivious.

The blow hard takes the rifle again and aiming carefully from the bench hit's the gong maybe 3 times out of 10 shots. He again gives the kid the rifle and every time he pulls the trigger I ring the gong. Another shooter next to me at the range sees what's going on and is double over laughing his head off. When I fumble a reload, he rings the gong for the kid so we just take turns every time the kid shoots.

After three or four magazines full the two adults throw the SKS in the trunk and leave. The other shooter on the bench next to me and I share a laugh and enjoy the rest of the day.

That's GOLD rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

m

rotflmo

Bad man!

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, we had a BBQ in the front yard of our house.

After all the cooking was done, we took the meat in to have dinner,

Apparently someone left some meat behind.

Someone looked through the window, "Oh look the cat has taken a steak! Hahahaha! Hahahaha!"

Sure enough, the cat did teak a piece of meat and ate it.

Not long after this, the cat was sitting on the boundary wall licking its fingers.

"Look, the cat is back. I bet he had enjoyed that steak" someone said.

"Not for long. That cat does know that the meat I left behind was poisoned. It will drop off that wall before long"I said.

Unknown to our guests, I went to one of our bedrooms that faces the wall where the cat was on. I got a 22 with a silencer, and put a bullet into the cat.

No one noticed, until late on someone said "the cat has gone".

I said I bet it is lying dead on the other side of the wall.

One volunteered to go have a look.

"OH MY GOD! It IS DEAD" he screamed, not wanting to get very close to it. clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, that is absolutely PRICELESS!!! You have given me a new goal the next time I go to the range and I see a douche bag similar to what you described.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Saeed

With all these stories and tricks you play, I am surprised you get to do any hunting at all!

I am actually surprised you are still in one piece! Big Grin

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11182 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was on a hunt on the Humani one time and my kid was doing all of the shooting. He was 15. One day we were driving down the road and way off in the distance we spotted a big dog baboon sitting on his haunches .. broadside .. munching on a stalk of sugar cane that must have fallen off of a truck.

Clive asked me if I could hit the varmint. I assured him that I could and with the windscreen down and a great rest I fired at the far away monk with my ancient 8 mag wildcat.

Far off in the distance there was a puff of dust .. a pause .. and the old baboon slowly toppled over.

Gawd, but I am good with a rifle.

We drove over to the defunct simian and I was very proud of the bullet hole behind its shoulder ..

And then one of the trackers pointed at the road about 15 yards short of the monkey where the 200 grain Nosler partition had hit first and then skipped up and onto the unlucky baboon.

He started to laugh as did most of the rest of the audience.

Bah ... he would have made a great mount but I used him for bait instead ..

I am still bitter ... Big Grin

Posts: 1543 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was that Clive, Lou Halimore's son?

Posts: 20156 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You know, one tries every trick under the sun to make accurate ammo.

But has any of you imagined the trials and errors one has to go through to make really inaccurate ammo??

Here at AR we always like to push the envelope, and as Walter likes to say when he has been taken walking into some nasty korongo, we are like the Starship Enterprise.

We go where no man has been before.

Walter has always insisted on taking his beloved Blaser rifle hunting, and I have always resisted that request.

Being our lot, it makes more sense to take two rifles of the same caliber for everyone to use.

Walter's was in 7x64, so it was not suitable for anything else but plains game.

Anyway, I thought I would see if I can put together some ammo that will provide us with some entertainment sofa

His rifle is a 7mm, so uses 0.284 caliber bullets. I thought if I loaded .277 caliber bullets in it, it should shoot very badly. After all, there was a .007 inch difference in bullet diameter.

Well, I discovered that it did not work. The point of aim moved a bit, but the bullets made a reasonable size group.

That will not do for our purpose, so more drastic actions were called for.

I was using Nosler Partition bullets, so I decided to use a small drill, and remove varying amount of lead from the rear partition.

The bullets started off at 140 grains new.

The ones I finished working with varied between 90 to 130 or there abouts.

BINGO!

That worked like magic.

Dedication and setting ones mind on a single purpose never fails!

I finally managed to get a load that will shoot a 3 foot group at 100 yards, at best! clap

Now, I have to make sure I mark these special purpose ammo so I can recognize them.

I loaded them with CCI BR primers, which one can see if one looks carefully at the primer.

I did not want Walter trying to shoot his favorite warthog with one.

He is bad enough without any help from me.

WE arrived in Matetsi, and as usual, first morning is rifle checking time, before we head out hunting.

I got my rifle checked, and Walter sat down to get his done.

Everyone knows what was going to happen, except Walter!

The targets were put on a cardboard box at 100 yards.

His first shot nicks the box at one corner.

Everyone was being helpful, telling Walter that might have been caused by oil in the barrel.

Next shot lands 2 feet away from the first one.

Walter was getting himself in a lather, to everyone's enjoyment.

Third shot hits the target!! Confused

Fourth shot lands halfway between us and the target at 500 yards!

All hell broke loose, Walter got mad, and everyone else was rolling on the floor laughing.

A few years later, Walter started wanting to take his Blaser hunting.

He went as far as wanting to buy a 375 H&H barrel or his rifle, that he wanted me to chamber for our 375/404.

His rifle has one of those awful European stocks, which drops so much it kicks one in the face at each firing.

Who the hell invented this one I have no idea!

It so happens that I do have a 375 H&H barrel for the Blaser.

So I suggested to Walter that he should bring his rifle over, and we will change the barrel to 375 H&H, and he can try shooting it first, because I was not sure anyone would like to shoot that silly thing with a 375/404 barrel on it.

He agreed, and wanted to load his own ammo.

Starting VERY LOW, and working up.

That would take donkey's years, and we don't really have that much time to waste.

So I thought of speeding things up a bit.

Walter was coming in the afternoon to load his ammo and shoot.

We had 300 grain Sierra SP bullets for this trial.

I loaded 3 rounds with a stiff load, and put them aside.

Walter duly arrived, helped himself to a piece of cake, got a coffee, and sat by the powder scale to load his ammo.

We looked at the manual, picked the load that used the least amount of powder, and reduced the starting load by a further 10%!

"You will be lucky if the bullet comes out of the barrel wit that charge!" I said.

"Mind your own business. I will make the most accurate load that kills anything without breaking my shoulder!"

It takes Walter about 15 minutes for each round, add in his cake and coffee, and about an hour later he was ready with three rounds to try.

He went into the shooting room, and as he is left handed, he had to move the rest from one side to the other.

Perfect opportunity to swap ammo clap

He fired the first shot.

"Oh shit! That kicks!"

"Just wait tell you get to a reasonable load for hunting! You will have no teeth left!"

He loaded another round, and fired "Bloody hell! This one kicks even more!"

"It will get worse from here. Because you have to develop your own accurate ammo. And it will have to be faster than those pipsqeeks you are shooting now"

He stood up "I think I will use your gun instead"

No more talk of taking the Blaser on a hunt after that one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Biebs,

Yes, that was Clive Hallamore way back on 1996. He was coming off a bout of double pneumonia and was only 21. He was to be our PH for a leopard hunt on the Humani ... a really nice kid but at that stage in his life I really do not think that he had read his famous father's book, 'Chui' ... Roll Eyes

Near the end of the trip another PH (William Finnaughty' was giving him advice on how to whack a leopard ...)

I did get that poor baboon by mistake, however .. Smiler

Posts: 1543 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:
Hi, Biebs,

Yes, that was Clive Hallamore way back on 1996. He was coming off a bout of double pneumonia and was only 21. He was to be our PH for a leopard hunt on the Humani ... a really nice kid but at that stage in his life I really do not think that he had read his famous father's book, 'Chui' ... Roll Eyes

Near the end of the trip another PH (William Finnaughty' was giving him advice on how to whack a leopard ...)

I did get that poor baboon by mistake, however .. Smiler

Sadly, his father's book is full of holes of I remember rightly.

Wasn't it him who said one should measure the exact distance between the bait and the shooting position in the blind, and sight his rifle at that distance??

I also think it was him who made up that silly PAY LINE about shooting animals.

What a bloody joke that was.

Most of the hundreds of animals I have shot should not have died, according to him rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I always use magic bullets that never miss. Doesn't everyone?

I think they're on sale at Midway right now. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
converse of the maji maji war.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
converse of the maji maji war.

HeHe (no pun intended) Big Grin

Posts: 2029 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My ex-father in law was quite an old cowboy. He, another friend were riding around in a pickup with some out of town friends and their grandkids. They see a coyote off in the distance. Sonny grabs his lever action, gives the sites a thumb lick and shoots the coyote. (nothing but pure ass luck) calmly puts his rifle in the rack and drives off never saying a word. The kids were quite impressed with their now new grandpa shooting prowess. From then on it was Grandpa Sonny would not miss that shot.

Tim