THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Are 16 gauge shotgun shells available in Africa?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are 16 gauge shotgun shells available in Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
My guess is a big no, but wanted to ask.

I have been drilling shopping and I keep coming back to the 16x16/7x57R.

But a huge factor is how available shells would be overseas.

Taking the rifle cartridges is no big deal, but any quantity of shotgun shells kills your weight allowance for ammo.

Heck, it is kinda bleak here, but unsure how popular it still is with European hunters and thus a supply in areas that see international hunters.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most African countries are former European colonies, and the 16a is quite popular in Europe, so you may be OK. But let folks that live there fill us in.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw a Drilling yesterday for a great price....let me find it and pass it on to you.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, at First Stop on www.gunsamerica.som, item 932902561. It's a JP Sauer sidelock drilling in 12x12x8mmJRS. Mark at First Stop always prices their trade and estate buys VERY well.

posted Hide Post
On a recent trip to south africa i was able to buy some using my temporary import permit.

Posts: 5 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, in South Africa they are, not a huge variety and not in every shop. But some of the top English brands like Hull and Eley have distributors in South Africa.

Consequently they are theoretically available in the surrounding countries. But be prepared to pay a large premium and give your outfitter sufficient time to source them for you

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
16 guague ammo is available in Zimbabwe from various sources - gun clubs and gunstores - but it will most likely be old. Likewise the 7mms, but a lot of folks will reload for the rifle calibers.

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
I'll ask my mate who does a lot of shotgunning .... and then report back.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote