THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Talley or Warne QD mounts for African Big Bore

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talley or Warne QD mounts for African Big Bore
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which is the best QD mount for use on an African Big Bore rifle? Is there a real difference between the 2?

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both. talleys are by far the nicest quality in my opinion. I also think the leopold QRW - are worth looking at although i haven't had them. They will fit the steel Weaver grand slam bases.

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talley +1

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have the old original Warnes and the quality is second to none. Have not seen any of the current manufacture. The Talley's I have are also of excellant quality. Both work equally as well in my opinion.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Warne offered the Premier line they were fine. Today the Talleys are far superior IMHO. I have had failures with Warnes and Leupold QRW rings but Talleys are durable and dependable. I think if you look at the base set up: a shoulder with the Talleys versus a slot with the others you can see how they are less prone to have problems. Every top notch custom maker I have seen uses Talleys.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Talley mount has a ridge on it that pushes directly on the front of the ring itself. Means the recoil is transfered to something that won't bend.

There are three types of Leupold QRW rings ... one with a round bar, one with a short square bar, and one with a longer square bar. (The longer square bar is like the Warne QR mount.) These bars fit into the slot of a Weaver rail or mount. Have not used the ones with the round bar ... they are the oldest design. I have seen the bars bend on heavy recoil rifles.

I would recommend the Talley or custom mounts that have a recoil shoulder that pushes against the ring if you use Leupolds or Warnes.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I have used the Warne's on my Ruger in 458 Lott and a friend broke his on his Lott also..
I switched to Talbot QR mounts and there is no looking back in my opinion.. I have them for my North American rifles also...

http://www.talbot.us/scope_mounts.php?osCsid=3ded5efc5ef2dd81d5790e99f442bece

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently used a cheap torx wrench to remove my Talley rings - and rounded off the grooves slightly on a couple of the screws. I sent an e-mail to Talley requesting information on where to order replacements - and got a reply back almost immediately informing me that replacements were on the way!

Two days later the mailman dropped off a package containing a complete set of screws for my rings and an invoice prominantly marked PAID across the top. Needless to say, I was very impressed with the quick response and the CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I have used both Warne and Talley QD on my .375 and preferred Talley before this recent encounter - but Gary made a true believer out of me with his display of service!

Nothing but Talley from now on!

Dave

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I say Talley. Long story short I needed some bases that were extra small front to back. Gary made it happen, no questions asked. The rings I had had I bought from Brownells; he said just send them to him (Gary), he didn;t care when or where I bought them, only that I needed something different.

On another note, I had these set up on my 30-06 with custom bases with the Brockmans peep fitted to it. On the range I switched betwen the peep and 4x leupold with no discernable change in POI. Talley Talley Talley.... love 'em

_Baxter

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Talley without question -- great product first of all and customer service that is outstanding. I have the Talleys on several bigger caliber rifles and they have survived without any question what so ever --- Super Product!
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All my rifles have Talleys on them now, with the exception of the Rugers. That is all I need to say. The Ruger rings will stand up to anything you can stand to shoot.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had Warnes on most of my rifles at one time, and the levers kept flipping out of position from recoil and the rear lever would block the uplift of the bolt. That is a real no no IMO... You cannot mount them on the left as the bolt release interfers with levers on the "low" mounts that I used with my 20 mm objective scopes like the 3x, 1x4 and 1.5x5 Leupolds.

I sold all the Warnes and went to Talley and have never looked back..I surface grind my actions and had fit the bases and set them to tighten at the upright position with a little extra tightness from a piech of arrow tubing that I keep in my gun belt..I have had exact return to zero since I started doing this..

I also like the Talbot mounting system mentioned above by Retrever and intend to try them out on my new 404 Jefferys that I am building.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I went w/ the Leupold QWR & for the money, I don't think you can buy a better QR mount. Mine pretty darn close to zero & have proven bullet proof after 400" rounds on my 404jeffery.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cazador2
posted Hide Post
I have in almost all my rifles Quick Release bases and rings from Leupold, with outstanding results. They are different from Warne’s model. I recommend you to take a look at them before you make a decision.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
I have used the Warne's on my Ruger in 458 Lott and a friend broke his on his Lott also..
I switched to Talbot QR mounts and there is no looking back in my opinion.. I have them for my North American rifles also...

http://www.talbot.us/scope_mounts.php?osCsid=3ded5efc5ef2dd81d5790e99f442bece

Mike
I'll agree with Mike. He let me fool around with one of his rifles so-equipped, and it is one of the slickest QD systems I've ever used. The Warnes are good, but they're a little bulky and heavy, IMO. Take a look at the Talbots.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote