THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Rules Regarding Traveling with Firearms

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rules Regarding Traveling with Firearms
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Often questions regarding the rules about traveling with firearms and ammunition are raised on this site, so I have developed a reference document.

I have pinned it to Hunting Reports - Africa forum for future reference.

You can see it with this direct link

Traveling with Firearms

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Super job, Terry. Thank you for your efforts!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gracy Travel sends out firearms regulations with each ticket purchased BTW.....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Not wanting to diminish the great information provided by Terry, it is very useful but it is another task to do ... thanks again Terry for all the valuable specifics ..

BUT I am from the (old school) where you use the intellengence and services of the SPECIFIC people you contract for your adventure ..

When you want a doctor you dont go to a VET !!!

When you want to travel it is up to those GOOD TRAVEL agents like RAY mentions whom will take the heartache out of the task at hand ... that is what you pay them for, a service, and GRACY come up with the goods and especially for the hunter whom has add on issues to resolve such as guns & ammo ...

RAY is no fool even if his dear wife thinks he has hunted for far too long .... WE all know Ray has been there and done that ... I have been in the booking game for only 8 years and I listen to RAYS ADVICE every time, he has experienced the cracks and gaps and he seems to always come up with the optimun answers to the problem ...

DOnt sweat the small stuff, that is what your booking agent or Travel agent is trained to do, sort out the logistics and ease the pain ..

Thanks again both RAY & Terry for all the good advice

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
That is great work and extremely useful information.
This is something that has recently transpired and will affect those hunters that travelling via Amsterdam decide to spend one or more nights there. This happened to a friend of mine coming back from the US shows:

Charlie (fake name) and I stopped off in Holland for a week on our way back from the US and had ammunition with us which had been cleared by NW/KLM before we left the US. As he had done in the past when travelling to England via Holland with a rifle, Charlie went to the customs in the baggage hall to inform them he had ammunition in his bag and wanted to deposit this with them until our return to Kilimanjaro. They said, no problem, but that the police had to handle this and went off to get a policeman. He duly arrived and picked up the ammo and asked Danny to go with him. Charlie, having been through this procedure before, thought nothing of it and followed the policeman out of the baggage hall and across the airport plaza to the police station. There we waited 3 hours for him not knowing what was going on behind the locked doors and finally Charlie appeared and announced that he had been arrested for bringing ammunition into Holland without a permit! He was told to wait for the public proscecutor to arrive and finally after 6 hours in the police station he was allowed to go, without ammo, and with a court case set for a date in April at which a lawyer may represent him. Everyone was very polite and there was no unpleasantness but they did insist that Charlie had broken the law and would have to pay a fine.

Our office in Holland contacted customs at Schiphol Airport and were informed that a Consent of Transit (Transit Permit) is required for passengers travelling with guns/ammunition and breaking their journey in Amsterdam. This permit/consent has to be applied for in advance through the airline and passengers should go with this to the red desk in the baggage hall and declare the weapons.

Feel free to edit what you want for your purpose.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Terry,

The information you provide has helped me in the past and I believe this info is a great asset to the AR Forums.

BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Peter,

I agree, a good travel agent should be able to help you avoid the pitfalls of traveling with firearms.

What I have listed on my post is the law as defined by the US Government regarding airline travel with firearms. Often in the discussions on this forum, we have people providing incorrect information regarding the rules about traveling with firearms. What I have attempted to do is provide a reference document with the actual statutes.

As we all know, it really gets down to how the individual gate agent is going to interpret that particular airline's rules. So flexibility, when traveling with firearms, is important. Being informed of the rules in advance, should be an advantage when traveling.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,

Thanks for that information. I will add it to my post.

Regards,

Terry